The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project "Keeper" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=633367)

VA72C10 06-22-2014 09:01 PM

Project "Keeper"

5 Attachment(s)
Those who know me know I don't tend to hold onto trucks for long. After I sold off all my projects I decided that I deserved a driver. I've worked on several of these trucks and never owned a driver for more than a few weeks one time years ago. After a few months of searching and some deals missed, I finally found a "Keeper".

I wanted something that I could use around the house, fix up a little, and would be fun to take to cruise ins. Not a show truck and nothing too expensive. Since I plan to use this as a truck, I wanted a longbed and was open to C10's and C20's. I also figured if I got a longbed, it wouldn't cost as much up front, wouldn't be worth as much when I'm finished with it, and I wouldn't be inclined to sell it ;)

Three days ago I saw this ad pop up on the local craigslist. I immediately emailed the seller and got a response the next morning. They were out of town and just got home this afternoon. I arranged to look at the truck this evening and had a price in mind. After looking it over, it was what I expected and I made an offer and we settled on the price I wanted :chevy:

Drove the truck the hour home with a mix of 35-45mph country winding roads, and 70mph interstate. Didn't miss a beat the whole way. We have a driver! :metal:

It's got several things to fix on it, but that's what I enjoy about these trucks. I honestly like working on them more than driving them. It's taken me time to realize that and this one will be a fun project I can use as I improve it.

Quote:

The Details:

1972 Cheyenne 20
3/4 ton 2wd coil rear
350 engine
Turbo 350 Automatic
Power steering
Power Brakes
Tilt Wheel
Tach Dash
Factory Air Conditioning
Here are the pictures from the Advertisement:

VA72C10 06-22-2014 09:02 PM

Re: Project "Keeper"

4 Attachment(s)
The remainder of the pictures:

VA72C10 06-22-2014 09:02 PM

Things I plan to fix initially:

A/C- it's all there, hoses look great, compressor looks good, a/c box looks good, fittings look good...but the fan's not working. May just be a fuse..and likely low on r12- probably will convert but may get some r12 and see what it does first...

Power steering- whines a bit when turning from a stop and was low when I test drove it. Will see if it works itself out with the added fluid or I have a new pump or several used ones I can swap in....

Passenger mirror is cracked- I believe I have a NOS one out of the box I can swap- mirrors are super clean otherwise with almost no surface rust on the arms...

Gas gauge isn't working- all other lights and gauges are working. Going to check the wiring and then take the carpet off the gas tank and make sure the connection is good...then will check the sending unit and if not that, will check the printed circuit and gauge itself. I have one of everything in case i need to replace anything...

Master cylinder is crusty/rusty. Brakes work great but I don't like the way the master looks so I'll wire brush/wheel it off and paint it a cast gray color.

Tailgate band is missing letters- (they're all there but not installed)- I am going to decide if I want to add woodgrain to the lower moldings- I'm leaning that way now.... will order a new black or woodgrain tailgate band.

Add a radio- I have a period correct AM/FM- thankfully the radio hole hasn't been hacked.

Ticking exhaust-headers have leaks at the primaries...heard it as soon as I fired it up for the test drive. may weld up but since they are simple block huggers and finish is coming off anyways (and more would come off to weld) I may just buy a new set (around 140 shipped on ebay with ceramic coating-less if I go with black)
Locks- need to re-key everything to match the ignition or replace everything together. It's got the lock for the glovebox door too...

VA72C10 06-22-2014 09:03 PM

Future plans:

Put a cheyenne super tin/woodgrain glovebox door cover and matching woodgrain on the cluster- I just like the way it looks with the woodgrain door panels.

Swap the billet wheel out for a wood wheel (corvette style)

Add woodgrain on the lower molding- I am definitely leaning this direction and would do a woodgrain tailgate band to match of course

Fix the minimal rust- the worst spot is on the firewall around the A/C box as is typical on these trucks. Also a small bubble spot on the outer skin of one door and on the back of one fender.- At that point, I'll sand out the one run in the finish and get extra paint to paint the wheel covers blue (late 72 or 73-up covers with yellow in them currently)

Detail the engine bay- fresh paint and cleaning with wire minimizing (it's relatively clean now but I like to hide as many wires as possible)

VA72C10 06-22-2014 09:23 PM

Long term wants/dreams:

Either 15" or 17" Cragar or torque thrust wheels

Upgrade the 350. It's got good power and torque but there is always room for more power ;)

That's about it....my real long term want is a roadster blazer and that's the vehicle I'd go crazy with. As I mentioned...this is a Keeper. A nice driver I can use and tinker with. :chevy:

DPowers 06-22-2014 09:27 PM

Nice truck

Ozzy2013 06-22-2014 09:42 PM

Looks to be in great shape !

VA72C10 06-22-2014 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DPowers (Post 6731807)
Nice truck

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzy2013 (Post 6731835)
Looks to be in great shape !

Thanks, it's not a show truck but a very nice driver for sure.

Here's a picture of the SPID. The tach was an add on but I knew that at first glance because it was aftermarket. The tilt was also added (thankful they did) it is a factory tilt and was painted body color (which I prefer) instead of correct satin black.

VA72C10 06-23-2014 12:40 AM

Went out earlier to roll up the windows...realized I hadn't even touched the windows since they were already down when I got there...thankfully they roll up and down very nicely. Very happy with my purchase so far! :chevy:

SuperC10Tex 06-23-2014 06:56 AM

Sweet! "Keeper"......oh yes!!!!!

Low Elco 06-23-2014 08:09 AM

Good solid 'ol truck. Enjoy!

VA72C10 06-24-2014 01:40 AM

Thanks, gathered up a bunch of parts for it and spent about 4 hours last night looking for ideas. Going to start a thread to ask about woodgrain vs black and another idea I have for the truck (two tone white between trim with white roof- drip sealant is cracking and needs re-done but no rust yet)

Also planning to add a wood wheel- I will sell the one that's on it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Njc2WDc1MA...t!g~~60_12.JPG

leddzepp 06-24-2014 01:55 AM

Very nice truck! I suggest keeping with R-12 for your A/C :)

VA72C10 06-24-2014 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 6733742)
Very nice truck! I suggest keeping with R-12 for your A/C :)

Thanks, that's what I'm leaning towards. Just need to find a local source since online they require certification to purchase....

leddzepp 06-24-2014 02:16 AM

Try your local swap meets ;). I picked up five cans last weekend at Pomona to add to my stash.

VA72C10 06-24-2014 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 6733762)
Try your local swap meets ;). I picked up five cans last weekend at Pomona to add to my stash.

We don't have the car culture like on the west coast. The swap meets here are basically flea markets... once a year we have super chevy which used to be good....used to be... ;) But I already missed that this year anyways. Will try contacts (BMERDOC and my A/C guy) and craigslist.

VA72C10 06-24-2014 02:49 AM

Actually, came across your old truck ledzepp....dark blue and white...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c.../radio_036.jpg

VA72C10 06-24-2014 02:53 AM

and a longbed... http://images.customclassictrucks.co...river_side.jpg

VA72C10 06-24-2014 03:01 AM

Okay, can't get carried away here...thinking since the truck already has the new black woodgrain moldings I'll order the black tailgate band and not paint....I do like the look...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...5&d=1327497030

aggie91 06-24-2014 09:03 AM

Truck looks to be very nice and the issues mentioned are minimal and some what easy to fix.

Just don't get carried away with it...

VA72C10 06-24-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 6734005)
Truck looks to be very nice and the issues mentioned are minimal and some what easy to fix.

Just don't get carried away with it...

Definitely have to keep that in mind. I've torn all my other trucks down to bare frame at some point...this one won't get that same treatment...just fixing/improving one thing at a time....

sduckworth13 06-24-2014 05:52 PM

You have a nice looking truck Jonathan.

jeh 06-24-2014 07:13 PM

Looks like a real nice truck for a keeper. You won't find any in that condition around here.....

VA72C10 06-24-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 6734574)
You have a nice looking truck Jonathan.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeh (Post 6734665)
Looks like a real nice truck for a keeper. You won't find any in that condition around here.....

Thanks, as mentioned, it's got a few rust spots but overall is very clean. It's the best I've found in this area. Only truck I've had that's been cleaner was one I got from out west. It's a two owner truck, original owner re-painted it and put new seals on the doors and windows and refreshed the interior about eight years ago. Previous owner kept it in a garage until very recently and did mechanical improvements. So it's just a really nice overall solid driver truck now.

tune_1 06-24-2014 09:27 PM

Great looking truck, glad to see that you have it.

Dwight