The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Attempting my first build 72 K5 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=628612)

72K5CSTDarkOlive 05-13-2014 12:59 AM

Attempting my first build 72 K5

5 Attachment(s)
So I've finally decided to get my 72 K5 Blazer back on the road. My plan for this build is to keep it mostly original. The current paint is the original dark olive that will be stripped to bare medal and painted the same color again.

Here is some pics. I started the tear down this past weekend.

Update 11/5/14 - Decided to go all out and do full frame off restoration. Enjoy!

mcmlxix 05-13-2014 04:21 AM

Re: Attempting my first build 72 K5

looks like a great starting point... classic tube and inline tube offer replacement lines in stainless. Check with the board vendors first. Classic Hearbeat.. GMC Pauls...

72K5CSTDarkOlive 05-13-2014 11:39 AM

Thanks, mcmlxix. I'll check with them.

If anybody is interested in the winch, let me know. I don't plan on re-installing it. The cable will need to be replaced, though.

Ol Blue K20 05-13-2014 01:33 PM

Nice looking rig, sidewinder winch....love it

72K5CSTDarkOlive 05-21-2014 12:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Update here..

Over the weekend I pulled the motor, tranny, xfer case out. There was years of caked on oil on the xfer case and transmission. I'm going to use my gas powered power washer and hook it up to the hot water line, but it only gets up to 140 degrees. It's better than just using cold water from the outside hose..

Today I'm taking the tranny and xfer case to the shop to have them go through and rebuild them. The xfer case might not need and work.. There was no play on either yokes.. Usually those things have a lot of play if they are old and worn out. If it doesn't need a full rebuild, I should be able to save some money.

The guy Im using is going to rebuild the transmission for $495 and it includes a new torque converter. What stall converter should I use or what are most guys running? (the truck is not lifting and I think the stock gearing is 3.07) The motor is going to have about 340HP, 375 LB TQ and the meat of the power will be in that 1800-5000 RPM range.

The radiator needs replacing, too. The inside is rusted and the water coming out of it was filth.. The water coming out of the engine almost looked like oil, that's how bad it was.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 05-22-2014 03:03 PM

The engine I ordered is coming with an electric fuel pump.. My question is.. I plan on ordering the orginal pre bent fuel lines from GMC pauls, but since it's an electric fuel pump, I have a feeling the original fuel lines wont line up because from what I understand the electric fuel pump has to be in a different location.

Can anyone confirm this for me? If the original pre-bent ones don't work. what are my options to run SS fuel lines?

jaros44sr 05-22-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72K5CSTDarkOlive (Post 6689154)
The engine I ordered is coming with an electric fuel pump.. My question is.. I plan on ordering the orginal pre bent fuel lines from GMC pauls, but since it's an electric fuel pump, I have a feeling the original fuel lines wont line up because from what I understand the electric fuel pump has to be in a different location.

Can anyone confirm this for me? If the original pre-bent ones don't work. what are my options to run SS fuel lines?

I dont know much about elect. pump mounts, but, cant you cut out a section of the fuel line and mount it on the frame rails. Would be cool to use AN fittings if that is what is on your pump, than you could flare fuel lines and use barrel sleeves and nuts.

Nut and sleeve go on first in the proper orientation, then flare....dont ask how i know:lol:

72K5CSTDarkOlive 05-22-2014 09:16 PM

Since it's a new motor I feel more comfortable running all new lines.. The gas tank has a bunch of sediment and is really old. You should of seen the crap the came out of the water pump when I had the motor on the engine stand. I spun the motor and the fluid that poured out literally looked like oil, but it was the radiator fluid... After I saw that, I'm going with all new lines, hoses, etc..

I think what I'll do is just make my own. I have a tube bending tool and my brother has done them before so I think I'll just go that route.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 05-22-2014 09:17 PM

this is the pump that I'll be using- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p60430

Not sure how good it is, but the guys who are building the motor insisted that I use an electric fuel pump and this the one they are going to provide me.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 05-23-2014 04:23 PM

Re:Heater and Ac tubes that run behind the firewall

1 Attachment(s)
I took off the heater and Ac box /core last night and found the internal part of tubes that run inside the firewall rusted. I was wondering if these parts can be replaced. I couldn't find them on LMC. I'd rather not have to replace them, but since I'm running all new hoses and tubing with my new engine, I would hate to see whatever crap is inside there running through my new radiator and engine.

I'd be curious to hear peoples opinions if they should be replaced or just run with what I have.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 05-23-2014 04:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Update..

Taking all these parts to get Steam Cleaned so they'll be ready for the powder coating.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 05-23-2014 04:40 PM

Leaf Springs new ones or keep them?

So i'm debating whether or not to replace the leaf springs or just put in all new bushings.

Keeping them putting in new bushing will save a me a lot of money.. Do leaf springs go bad? I'm sure they do depending on how they were used, but is there a way to tell?

I'm new to all of this so if my questions sound like an amateur, that's why.

Thanks!

sockalaminski 05-24-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72K5CSTDarkOlive (Post 6689582)
this is the pump that I'll be using- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p60430

Not sure how good it is, but the guys who are building the motor insisted that I use an electric fuel pump and this the one they are going to provide me.

That pump is for a 5/16" line for a 4 cylinder diesel, 3/8 would be the size you need.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 05-25-2014 12:12 AM

@sockalaminski - Thanks for pointing that out.. I'll have to check with the guys at West Coast Engines about that.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 05-25-2014 12:15 AM

Re: Update

3 Attachment(s)
Spent the day pulling out the front axle, brake lines, fuel lines and leaf springs. I ran into trouble with one of the bolts on the springs. I was able to get the nut off, but the bolt refuses to slide through. The other side slid out, no problem.

Any ideas how I can get this bolt out? Anybody else run into this problem. see pic below.

notsolo 05-25-2014 07:21 AM

Nice Blazer! you are making great progress. IMO the springs are still good, replace bushings and check for broken leave/s. Frozen bolt soak with PB blaster or heated up with a torch, you may be able to use a propane torch to loosen it up and pound it out with a hammer.

sockalaminski 05-25-2014 01:02 PM

Air chisel with a punch on it will help as well. Or it you have a cutting torch, just cut it off. They can be really stubborn sometimes.

dutchmanz 05-26-2014 09:45 AM

Just my opinion but a good mechanical fuel pump would make your install a lot easier, look original and allow the use of the prebent SS lines. For your application, there is no benefit to run electric unless the block doesn't have provisions for it. I like the safety of the mech pump. It cuts off when the engine does.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 05-26-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutchmanz (Post 6693413)
Just my opinion but a good mechanical fuel pump would make your install a lot easier, look original and allow the use of the prebent SS lines. For your application, there is no benefit to run electric unless the block doesn't have provisions for it. I like the safety of the mech pump. It cuts off when the engine does.

I'm with you on that one.. The electric just complicates things and you are right about it looking more original with a mechanical fuel pump. Any recommendations on a good one?

dutchmanz 05-26-2014 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72K5CSTDarkOlive (Post 6694062)
I'm with you on that one.. The electric just complicates things and you are right about it looking more original with a mechanical fuel pump. Any recommendations on a good one?

I have used the Carter street pumps with great success. I had one on a 600+ hp big block and never needed more. Everybody always wanted the chrome Holley race pumps but the never seemed to fit really well with the fuel lines.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 05-26-2014 08:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I used this grinder to cut the bolt off from both ends. Took a few minutes but it did the job.

I spent the next 5 hours underneath the truck with a high pressure steamer, degreaser, and lots of elbow grease to get all the crap that's been sitting on the underside of the bed and insine/outside of the frame rails.. Actually cleaned up real good.

If I had it my way, I would just take the body off the frame, but I have no place for it.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 05-26-2014 08:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
ops. posted the after pics first..

72K5CSTDarkOlive 05-26-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 6692152)
Nice Blazer! you are making great progress. IMO the springs are still good, replace bushings and check for broken leave/s. Frozen bolt soak with PB blaster or heated up with a torch, you may be able to use a propane torch to loosen it up and pound it out with a hammer.

Thanks! I took a grinder to this morning. I've decided to use the same leaf springs and replace the bushings.

sockalaminski 05-27-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72K5CSTDarkOlive (Post 6694075)
I used this grinder to cut the bolt off from both ends. Took a few minutes but it did the job.

I spent the next 5 hours underneath the truck with a high pressure steamer, degreaser, and lots of elbow grease to get all the crap that's been sitting on the underside of the bed and insine/outside of the frame rails.. Actually cleaned up real good.

If I had it my way, I would just take the body off the frame, but I have no place for it.

That's clean enough to eat off of. Did you have the factory asphalt undercoat on there?

72K5CSTDarkOlive 05-27-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sockalaminski (Post 6695064)
That's clean enough to eat off of. Did you have the factory asphalt undercoat on there?

I'm not quite sure. When I was under there, I thought it was all oil and grease build up, but after scraping some of it off, it definitely looked to be like some kind of coating possibly.. Then, I got worried that maybe I should leave it on there, but in order for me to really clean off the all oil/grease I needed to get it all off.

Stage 2 of my build will be next year and that's when I will take the body off the frame and have it painted, probably get the underside coated to protect it.