The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   hood release broke at latch. hood is shut. helppp!!! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=392178)

mwooten92 03-14-2010 09:54 PM

hood release broke at latch. hood is shut. helppp!!!

how can i open the hood with the hood release cable broke. i drove the truck home today for the first time and tried poping the hood when i got it in the garage. knowin that the cable was on its last leg. i barely pulled and it snapped. it snapped right at the latch and dont know how to open it.

any ways to open it?

6772fan 03-14-2010 10:05 PM

Re: hood release broke at latch. hood is shut. helppp!!!

Depending on what year model it is, you may be able to remove the grill and gain access to the hood latch mechanism.

mwooten92 03-14-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6772fan (Post 3860787)
Depending on what year model it is, you may be able to remove the grill and gain access to the hood latch mechanism.

its a 85 chevy c10
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...bowlweek-7.jpg

pcmcobra 03-14-2010 10:20 PM

Same thing happened to me. Get a pickle fork or pry bar, something sturdy enough and thin enough to get under hood. Slowly and gently pry up hood, you will need to get a socket in there (use small swivel head) to remove the two bolts holding latch. Get thos out and hood will come up, dont forget, dont close it again until you replace cable.
This can be done with none to VERY minimal damage. Take your time.
Good luck...this is the reason mine is getting painted.

mwooten92 03-14-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcmcobra (Post 3860829)
Same thing happened to me. Get a pickle fork or pry bar, something sturdy enough and thin enough to get under hood. Slowly and gently pry up hood, you will need to get a socket in there (use small swivel head) to remove the two bolts holding latch. Get thos out and hood will come up, dont forget, dont close it again until you replace cable.
This can be done with none to VERY minimal damage. Take your time.
Good luck...this is the reason mine is getting painted.

alright thx hope i can get it open!

oldschool18 03-14-2010 10:32 PM

did it brake under the hood or in the cab

mwooten92 03-14-2010 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool18 (Post 3860862)
did it brake under the hood or in the cab

it broke under the hood next to the latch for sure. the cable was starting to break near just havent gt a cable for it. it pulled through in the cab.

oldschool18 03-14-2010 10:42 PM

yeah you will have to pry it up

RuralRoute C-30 03-14-2010 11:45 PM

Had that happen once on my former 95 Caprice Wagon. Was able to go underneath with a long shafted screwdriver and triggered the latch that way. Wasn't easy.

Maybe a long narrow pipe/conduit if you can snake it up to the latch mechanism. Not sure if a coat hanger wire or something you could make a hook with would work from the grill?

Granted with the Caprice I had the entire service manual set that showed me the latch assembly.

Just a thought...good luck!
Mark

knightowl73 03-15-2010 12:31 AM

damn, i know how bad it sucks too. i actually had a candy job and couldnt even risk scratchng it back in the day. my dad actually got a cordless drill and got up in there and drilled a hole right behind the latch, in between the bolts that hold the bracket to the latch. then just unlatched it with a big screwdriver. might want to take that on for thought if you have new paint. and i just checked my truck, you will be pushng the lever toward the driver side of the truck.

i also recommend a brand new cable,i stole one from another truck at the junkyard trying to be cheap and it happened again about 4 mos later. good thing the hole was there, but was a b**** to get to up there, my arms kinda fatty.

:)

mwooten92 03-15-2010 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightowl73 (Post 3861170)
damn, i know how bad it sucks too. i actually had a candy job and couldnt even risk scratchng it back in the day. my dad actually got a cordless drill and got up in there and drilled a hole right behind the latch, in between the bolts that hold the bracket to the latch. then just unlatched it with a big screwdriver. might want to take that on for thought if you have new paint. and i just checked my truck, you will be pushng the lever toward the driver side of the truck.

i also recommend a brand new cable,i stole one from another truck at the junkyard trying to be cheap and it happened again about 4 mos later. good thing the hole was there, but was a b**** to get to up there, my arms kinda fatty.

:)

cool, so he drilled up from behind the grill?
thx for the tips

knightowl73 03-15-2010 01:02 AM

yup from behind, no prob wth the help. i try to

bumslie75 03-15-2010 02:35 AM

you can pry it up and remove the two bolts holding the bottom of the latch to the top sec it happend to me a few weeks ago good luck

mwooten92 03-15-2010 08:50 PM

got it open!! used a small airbag to push one side of the hood up and used a long hook tool to trip the latch. got a zip tie tied to the latch so i can pull it till i can get a new cable.

knightowl73 03-15-2010 08:54 PM

glad to hear it!

RuralRoute C-30 03-15-2010 09:11 PM

Congratulations!
Mark

ryanbenn1207 03-15-2010 09:20 PM

That happened to me on a 89 dodge ram, i was able to crawl underneath the truck and use a long crewdriver to trigger the latch. have you looked to see if you can gain acess underneath the truck?