The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How do you remove transmission crossmember? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=625035)

Hudsonaj36 04-14-2014 08:45 PM

How do you remove transmission crossmember?

So I dropped my transmission so can put in a better torque converter. All I could do with cross member was unbolt it and beat it back towards the rear. Made getting the tranny out a real pain. Would like to make the install easier by removing it he crossmember.

Does the crossmember come out some how without cutting it, would like to reuse it.

Seems like it's stuck between the frame rails.

1968 c1500 2wd th350

Thanks

cableguy0 04-14-2014 08:50 PM

Re: How do you remove transmission crossmember?

There is one spot on the frame where you can knock one side of the crossmember sideways and eventually it will come out. Also you can remove the rivets that hold the two extensions that go to the top of the frame and replace them with bolts. That way you can just flip the crossmeber upright and turn it sideways easily. In all reality 8 bolts is complete overkill to hold a transmission crossmember. I have removed the upper pieces completely in the past. Every aftermarket crossmember around only uses 4 bolts.

crazy longhorn 04-14-2014 09:13 PM

BFH...a pretty big hammer! I do agree with Cable, knock the top wings off, & do the twist ;) Longhorn

Hudsonaj36 04-14-2014 10:29 PM

Copy that, I'm going to knock the wings off it. Thanks

Richard2112 10-20-2017 07:02 PM

Wish I had read this before the bloody knuckle struggle to remove that crossmember. I can see where it it is (by far) easier to knock the wings off. Doing that tomorrow.

garyd1961 10-20-2017 08:54 PM

I put a new motor and trans in my 70 C10 and didn't even unbolt the crossmember. I just jacked the tailshaft up and slid it over the crossmember.

hewittca 10-20-2017 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard2112 (Post 8064768)
Wish I had read this before the bloody knuckle struggle to remove that crossmember. I can see where it it is (by far) easier to knock the wings off. Doing that tomorrow.

Same experience here. I have a nice little scar across my knuckle now reminding me of the fight put up by my crossmember. After taking the upper bracket pieces off, the crossmember came right out...

Captainfab 10-21-2017 12:50 AM

Yes you first need to remove the rivets holding the 'wings' to the main crossmember. Then it comes out easy and goes back in easy.

68gmsee 10-21-2017 09:30 AM

Can someone explain how you "knock the wings off"?

Do you cut them off or grind/cut the rivets off to remove it. Unless a person has an oxy/acetylene torch kit or a good compressor and air hammer and chisel kit it's a pain to remove those rivets.

I removed the crossmember on my original six cylinder 69 Chevy like Longhorn mentioned -with a big sledge hammer. Chiseled the rivets of then after I got it out I ground a small section of the corner edges on opposite ends of the crossmember to make it easier to bang it back in.

Coley 10-21-2017 11:52 AM

..does anyone have any pics of this before or after?...either the cross member, or everything place or out?
I might end up doing this someday if I swap out my TH350 for a 700R and I assume I will be having to move/remove this thing to mount up the 700R.

Coley

Richard2112 10-22-2017 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68gmsee (Post 8065045)
Can someone explain how you "knock the wings off"?

Do you cut them off or grind/cut the rivets off to remove it. Unless a person has an oxy/acetylene torch kit or a good compressor and air hammer and chisel kit it's a pain to remove those rivets.

I removed the crossmember on my original six cylinder 69 Chevy like Longhorn mentioned -with a big sledge hammer. Chiseled the rivets of then after I got it out I ground a small section of the corner edges on opposite ends of the crossmember to make it easier to bang it back in.

There's a few different ways to accomplish this but I've found that "knocking the wings off" is a great idea.

I have cut the heads of the drive rivets off with a sawzall and a metal cutting blade, then trilled out the body of the rivets, then punched to re3maining fragments out. Some people use an air chisel and that works great if you have one.

In any case, a hammer and pry bars still come in handy. Still, it easier done with the trans removed. If the trans is still in, your only option may be to "knock the wings off' but I would recommend it either way

'68 C10 10-26-2017 06:48 PM

Ive removed two now...

'67 Stepside - had to unbolt cab mounts and lift cab up to remove top bolts. Successfully hammered it out at an angle.

'72 LWB - able to remove top bolts w/o lifting cab but hammering out crossmember was a no-go. A grinder made it easier to remove in two pieces lol.

YoungPup1977 11-03-2017 10:57 PM

Over the years I have removed hundreds of these by using my blue wrench....cut the top frame rail bolts and install shorter bolts up from the bottom side of the upper frame rail.....easy stuff....got to love the words "knock off the wings" LOL!!!!!!!! just cut the rivets and replace with bolts if you like, I normally don't but there are times the cross member will not go back in like you want it to, so cutting the rivets helps the install...but "KNOCK THE WINGS" off....now thats doing something !!!!!

bry593 12-20-2019 07:23 PM

I just put a 2001 4L80e in my '71 C20. Had the same problem, crossmember would not come out. I took the advice to "knock off the wings", and to my surprise, one smack on each rivet with an 8 ounce ball peen and they fell off on the garage floor! Simply amazing advice! ;)