The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   60 to 66 chevy gmc rat rod pics?? Got any?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=485598)

Howell88 09-22-2011 01:29 PM

60 to 66 chevy gmc rat rod pics?? Got any??

:metal: JUST WANTING SOME GOOD IDEAS BECAUSE IM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING RAT RODDIN MY 66. ALWAYS LOVED THEM RAT RODS GUYS!! THANKS A BUNCH!!!:metal:

Howell88 09-22-2011 01:42 PM

Re: 60 to 66 chevy gmc rat rod pics?? Got any??

1 Attachment(s)
heres my ol project/driver! :) loving every spare bit of time i get with it.:lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

Howell88 09-22-2011 01:43 PM

Had to remove the grille insert and reset it its crooked in this pic!!! Lol

tooslo60 09-22-2011 01:49 PM

Is that a 67-69 front bumper??

Howell88 09-22-2011 02:52 PM

I thats what was on it when i picked her up....id like to change it to a plain old 66 steel bumper one day....:)

Howell88 09-22-2011 02:53 PM

i have been asked what its off of alot though...but i havent found out yet.

tooslo60 09-22-2011 02:55 PM

It looks loke a 67-70 chevy truck bumper, do you have a side shot??

tooslo60 09-22-2011 03:01 PM

Here are some pics gathered from around the site.

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/y...z/100_0471.jpg

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/y...0423140653.jpg

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/y...z/P5020150.jpg

^^^This one's not a jimmy but it's a nice truck any way.

Turkey 09-22-2011 04:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 804125

Attachment 804124

forestb 09-22-2011 04:26 PM

What makes a truck a rat rod truck other than the patina?

oldtrux 09-22-2011 04:40 PM

perhaps i'm wrong,but i dont consider any of the above to be ''rat rods''

oldtrux 09-22-2011 05:06 PM

this s a rat rod

brokenspoke 09-22-2011 07:03 PM

A rat rod is a unsafe POS......

losthope 09-22-2011 07:05 PM

i dont consider any of the above RATROD'S besides the tow truck.....to me theres
1. classic's= original
2. custom's =changing certain things that you think make the car better
3. jalopy's=using diffrent parts to make a vehicle run/work
4.hotrod's=more go then show
5.ratrod = taking a vehicle and going out of your way adding crap or junk parts to make it stand out...kinda like the expanded metal to make a windshield in the tow truck pic...

now there is ALOT more titles like prostreet, lowrider, traditional, muscle ect. but can be classified into some of the categories above . this is just the way i see it......even tho i think some rat-rods are cool or have good ideas far as a artist making a moving sculpture, i think alot of people classifies flat-black and red wheels( which is just a old hotrod paint job overdone nowdays),or unfinished projects that are in primer or not in paint yet as Ratrod's and some people get really offended if you call there ride a ratrod ...this is just my take on it.

Turkey 09-22-2011 11:03 PM

I thought it was cause rats lived in them when your not in the garage!

oldtrux 09-23-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkey (Post 4914308)

turkey,you need to consider moving!:lol:

chevykid65 09-23-2011 09:30 AM

according to the old car guys around here a rat rod is considered the type of hotrods that the guys were building when they came back from the war, they didnt have the money for the high dollar paint jobs you see on todays "hotrods", they were pieced together with what they could afford, they consider my truck a "ratrod" not because its "unsafe" but because its a low buck built in my garage with the parts i could find type of hotrod

oldtrux 09-23-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevykid65 (Post 4914817)
according to the old car guys around here a rat rod is considered the type of hotrods that the guys were building when they came back from the war, they didnt have the money for the high dollar paint jobs you see on todays "hotrods", they were pieced together with what they could afford, they consider my truck a "ratrod" not because its "unsafe" but because its a low buck built in my garage with the parts i could find type of hotrod

i guess there is different opinions on what a rat rod is!i consider what you are describing above to be ''old school'',i dont know,it's all good!

Howell88 09-23-2011 11:56 AM

LMAO!! Thanks guys! all of you for taking interest in this thread! Ive seen enough and ive got a laugh at some descriptions of a Rat Rod. Think ill just stick with old low budget daily driver/project truck. Aint a hot rod yet but maybe some day! thanks again all of you! i love this forum! :):metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

BR3W CITY 09-23-2011 12:57 PM

to met, a rat rod needs to be a car that could actually be considered a 'rod at all.
An original model a body with some riveted patch panels and no roof, 4 wheel drum brakes and mexi blanket seats is a ratrod....a low budget unfinished hot rod.

I don't really think rat rod is a category of vehicle, instead a subcategory of the vintage hotrod category....maybe im being to picky.

A.T. RockDriller 09-23-2011 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkey (Post 4914308)

Well then....I guess that would make my latest acquisition, the '63 short-step, the " Mouse-Rod "....from what I found in the glove box...

63 & 64 Bowties 09-23-2011 02:16 PM

A rat rod is a style of hot rod or custom car that, in most cases, imitates (or exaggerates) the early hot rods of the 40s, 50s, and 60s. It is not to be confused with the somewhat closely related "traditional" hot rod, which is an accurate re-creation or period-correct restoration of a hot rod from the same era.

Most rat rods appear "unfinished" (whether they actually are or not), with just the bare essentials to be driven.

The rat rod is the visualization of the idea of function over form. Rat rods are meant to be driven, not shown off. Sometimes the customization will include using spare parts, or parts from another car altogether.

Originally a counter-reaction to the high priced "customs" and typical hot rods, many of which seldom were driven, the rat rod's beginning was a throwback to the hot rods of the earlier days of hot-rodding, built to the best of the owner's abilities and meant to be driven. Rat rods are meant to loosely imitate in form and function the "traditional" hot rods of the era. Biker, greaser, rockabilly, and punk cultures are often credited as influences that shaped rat rodding.

The typical rat rod is a late 1920s through late 1950s coupe or roadster. Early (pre-World War II) vehicles often have their fenders, hoods, running boards, and bumpers removed. The bodies are frequently channeled over the frame, and sectioned, or the roofs chopped for a lower profile. Later post-war vehicles are rarely constructed without fenders and are often customized in the fashion of Kustoms, leadsleds, and lowriders. Maltese crosses, skulls, and other accessories are often added. Chopped tops, shaved trim, grills, tail lights, and other miscellaneous body parts are swapped between makes and models. Most, if not all, of the work and engineering is done by the owner of the vehicle.

Recently, the term "rat rod" (or rat car, as modern cars are not actually hot rods like the name suggests) has been used to describe almost any vehicle that appears unfinished or is built simply to be driven.

A.T. RockDriller 09-23-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties (Post 4915245)
A rat rod is a style of hot rod or custom car that, in most cases, imitates (or exaggerates) the early hot rods of the 40s, 50s, and 60s. It is not to be confused with the somewhat closely related "traditional" hot rod, which is an accurate re-creation or period-correct restoration of a hot rod from the same era.

Most rat rods appear "unfinished" (whether they actually are or not), with just the bare essentials to be driven.

The rat rod is the visualization of the idea of function over form. Rat rods are meant to be driven, not shown off. Sometimes the customization will include using spare parts, or parts from another car altogether.

Originally a counter-reaction to the high priced "customs" and typical hot rods, many of which seldom were driven, the rat rod's beginning was a throwback to the hot rods of the earlier days of hot-rodding, built to the best of the owner's abilities and meant to be driven. Rat rods are meant to loosely imitate in form and function the "traditional" hot rods of the era. Biker, greaser, rockabilly, and punk cultures are often credited as influences that shaped rat rodding.

The typical rat rod is a late 1920s through late 1950s coupe or roadster. Early (pre-World War II) vehicles often have their fenders, hoods, running boards, and bumpers removed. The bodies are frequently channeled over the frame, and sectioned, or the roofs chopped for a lower profile. Later post-war vehicles are rarely constructed without fenders and are often customized in the fashion of Kustoms, leadsleds, and lowriders. Maltese crosses, skulls, and other accessories are often added. Chopped tops, shaved trim, grills, tail lights, and other miscellaneous body parts are swapped between makes and models. Most, if not all, of the work and engineering is done by the owner of the vehicle.

Recently, the term "rat rod" (or rat car, as modern cars are not actually hot rods like the name suggests) has been used to describe almost any vehicle that appears unfinished or is built simply to be driven.

'63 $ '64 Wikibowtia has spoken........

Holy $hit, Batman.....If that didn't used to be the definition of " Ratrod "....From now on, it sure will be.

oldtrux 09-23-2011 06:46 PM

wikibowtia...thats freekin hillarious....seriously,that post gave me a headache....too funny!!:lol:

richards72chevy 09-23-2011 11:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 804759

Attachment 804760