The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Repro report, reproduction parts that is (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=738228)

randy500 05-19-2017 08:54 AM

Repro report, reproduction parts that is

I am reporting the fit of reproduction front fenders and grill on my '72 SWB build. I posted pictures there and a description of the fit.

In summary the fenders fit well and so did the grill, inner and outer, although some tweaking was required.

The passenger fender fit out of the box without tweaking.

The drivers fender did not match the contour of the door, it was bowed out from about 2 inches below the cowl to just below the emblem area. Total bow was about 1/4". To correct this I cut 2 spot welds at the upper fender mount reinforcement to loosen it up, then placed the fender on the shop floor with the mounting points resting on 1" Styrofoam. I then placed a piece of Styrofoam on the outside of the fender and stepped on it to remove the outward bow, I think it took 3 adjustments, test fitting each time and the final result is it now fits nicely!

I just remembered both front fenders did not have enough clearance for the grill where the fender meets the hood, too high by about 3/16" so I beat it down there with a chisel type body hammer to create clearance for the rolled lip of the aluminum grill. It was simple.

Leftlane 05-19-2017 10:11 AM

Re: Repro report, reproduction parts that is

Having read many horror stories over the suitability of aftermarket parts, it sounds like you had a happy ending after a little extra effort.
Was the grille shell itself a replacement part as well?
Would you mind sharing the brands or source for the parts?

azle 05-19-2017 10:22 AM

What brand of fenders did you use, Good info. Thank You

Azle

randy500 05-19-2017 11:02 AM

My truck has the following new sheetmetal parts

Complete bed from GMCPauls box labeled Woodall Industries, bedsides are exactly the same as AMD bedsides ordered from Summit, I have 2 new beds.

New drivers door with various labels, purchased from Wes at Classic Heaertbeat, I am pretty happy with that but not totally, I explain it in my short bed build thread, basically the door latch is too low, I need to move it up about 1/4".

Front fenders, inner and outer grill are AMD.

Front and rear bumpers are Key parts.

Rear bumper brackets, I have 2 sets both are identical, one set is AMD the other is Goodmark. Those boxes may have been marked key parts, don't remember. One of those brands was $10-$12 cheaper than the other one.

randy500 05-19-2017 11:07 AM

I ordered the fenders from Jegs, passenger side arrived in good shape. First drivers side was damaged, second one too, damaged was where inner structure at rear contacted outer skin, I think its a manufacturing defect.
It was easy to hammer out the second fender and they gave me about a 50% discount on it.
The return of the first fender was very easy with Jegs, great customer service.

Indyspecracer 11-06-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randy500 (Post 7946561)
The drivers fender did not match the contour of the door, it was bowed out from about 2 inches below the cowl to just below the emblem area. Total bow was about 1/4". To correct this I cut 2 spot welds at the upper fender mount reinforcement to loosen it up, then placed the fender on the shop floor with the mounting points resting on 1" Styrofoam. I then placed a piece of Styrofoam on the outside of the fender and stepped on it to remove the outward bow, I think it took 3 adjustments, test fitting each time and the final result is it now fits nicely!

Randy, Thanks for posting this. I am hanging '67 sheet metal on the front end of my 69 and had the same problem with my Key Parts driver side fender. After a few "manipulations", I'm very close. One or two more bends and I should be good to go.

randy500 11-06-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indyspecracer (Post 8076472)
Randy, Thanks for posting this. I am hanging '67 sheet metal on the front end of my 69 and had the same problem with my Key Parts driver side fender. After a few "manipulations", I'm very close. One or two more bends and I should be good to go.

Good to hear its working out for you and the update on 67 sheet metal. I found it very easy to get a nice fit on my fenders and am very happy with them.

beadblaster 11-06-2017 12:58 PM

Ordered a amd tailgate for my 71 from jegs. Arrived with 3 very small dents(free shipping). Fits as good as stock one.

randy500 11-06-2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beadblaster (Post 8076549)
Ordered a amd tailgate for my 71 from jegs. Arrived with 3 very small dents(free shipping). Fits as good as stock one.

Can you post a picture of the gate with a straight edge, with the gate down, straight edge front to rear in relation to the truck, I would like to see how its formed in that direction. I have a repro gate that if oddly formed in that direction.

beadblaster 11-06-2017 01:05 PM

Truck is in getting painted right now but I can post pick of gate when I get it back.

dfosh 11-06-2017 03:12 PM

Randy can you post a pic of your gate and show what you are talking about ? I may have to get one for a 68 GMC. Did you think it was as strong as original gate ? Thanks

randy500 11-06-2017 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Formed weird on the inside should be flat where the level is in the picture...very thin metal too.

BCOWANWHEELS 11-06-2017 09:59 PM

I think goodmark has the best repro parts

special-K 11-07-2017 09:05 AM

Goodmark is a reseller. Maybe now they have some things produced, but many of these sheet metal parts are only made by one manufacturer. Woodall makes the short bedsides, for instance. Pick up any catalog with a full line of sheet metal parts, even a business that is involved in manufacturing as well, and you will find parts made by various manufacturers. No one company makes everything.

BCOWANWHEELS 11-07-2017 09:10 AM

there authorized GM STUFF SO HIGHER QUALITY IMO

dfosh 11-07-2017 09:35 AM

Thanks for the pic and info .

beadblaster 11-07-2017 02:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my tailgate and also one of my stock Chevy tailgate. The stock tailgate is bowed and dented up.

HO455 11-07-2017 10:43 PM

Where did you get that cool magnetic level? :lol:

special-K 11-07-2017 11:07 PM

Magnetic aluminum :lol: I was wondering if it was a Sands level, except the glazing on the vials would originally be whit. I love their motto, "Sands levels tell the truth". Johnson came out with heavy cast aluminum levels like Sands. Could be one of those.

beadblaster 11-07-2017 11:25 PM

Or I screwed up and posted the picture upside down.