The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Question for Vettevet (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=780665)

rsavage 02-01-2019 10:25 PM

Question for Vettevet

1 Attachment(s)
I have what appears to be a ground wire on my new dash harness and I can't remember where it goes. Looks gray or brownish. Can't find it on the colored wiring diagram available on the site. Any idea?

VetteVet 02-02-2019 12:56 AM

Re: Question for Vettevet

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsavage (Post 8456639)
I have what appears to be a ground wire on my new dash harness and I can't remember where it goes. Looks gray or brownish. Can't find it on the colored wiring diagram available on the site. Any idea?

Looking at the terminal on the end of the wire it would appear that it should have a plastic connector on it. Given that and it's location. It might be the heater switch connection or if it's gray it could go to the heater panel lamp.

Just left of the fuse panel (upper right) in the diagram is the heater switch with the 14 gauge brown wire and just below is the heater lamp with a 20 gauge gray wire going to it. You wire looks to be bigger than 20 gauge to me.

Attachment 1871392

rsavage 02-02-2019 07:54 AM

Yes, it is larger in gauge than 20 and not the gray panel lights color and I have the heater lamp bulb socket wire. Maybe a plastic connector got broken off it in the last year when the new harness was in its bag or was never put on. The color is sort of weird. I'll take a look at my old harness and check the heater switch wire on it. The connector is uninsulated and goes over a spade so I was thinking it might be a ground of some sort. Thanks for your answer and your service.

VetteVet 02-02-2019 04:33 PM

Your welcome.
I was thinking about your post and how you might be able to identify the wire.
I assume you have the rest of the harness connected and functioning.
If so you can measure for voltage on the wire with the key off, and then on, using a multimeter. If you get zero volts with the key off and 12 volts with the key on, then the wire is probably fused in the panel. You could turn the key on and then remove the fuses one at a time and see if the voltage drops to zero on the wire. If it does then that is the circuit the wire is on.

rsavage 02-02-2019 06:10 PM

I had my old harnesses upstairs in my garage. You were correct - it went into the heater switch plug. The dash harness doesn't come with a heater harness which is sold separately. I had bought one and when I installed it today I saw that the four terminal plug was missing one - the wire that I couldn't immediately identify. It plugs into that terminal end, so all fixed. Your answer made me look at the heater switch more closely. Thanks again.

VetteVet 02-06-2019 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsavage (Post 8457238)
I had my old harnesses upstairs in my garage. You were correct - it went into the heater switch plug. The dash harness doesn't come with a heater harness which is sold separately. I had bought one and when I installed it today I saw that the four terminal plug was missing one - the wire that I couldn't immediately identify. It plugs into that terminal end, so all fixed. Your answer made me look at the heater switch more closely. Thanks again.

Excellent, glad to be of help.