The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   gas tank rust (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=764961)

prodjay10 06-03-2018 12:47 AM

gas tank rust
 
So I'm in the process of getting one of my trucks going again. I got it running but it still needs a few things to be road worthy enough to risk driving.

Well I thought Id start by getting the tank cleaned. After picking it up I put it in garage. A couple weeks later I go to install it and the tank is rusted inside even worse than before!

Now I'm not sure what I should do. Get it cleaned again? Get it coated? Is there a way to prevent rust without coating it?

I'd clean it myself but I wouldn't know how to get the cleaning agent out of the tank.

frank69 06-03-2018 01:38 AM

Re: gas tank rust
 
I tried cleaning and coating with a kit from por-25, but it'seasier to just get an aftermarket tank.

prodjay10 06-03-2018 02:10 AM

Re: gas tank rust
 
I was thinking that too. Are they coated or would it also rust in a few days?

BCOWANWHEELS 06-03-2018 03:51 AM

Re: gas tank rust
 
Use vineger to clean it out. Works good

Grumpy old man 06-03-2018 05:07 AM

Re: gas tank rust
 
KBS Coatings tank sealer kit works .

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/Auto-Fu...ealer-Kit.html

engineer_gregh 06-03-2018 10:10 AM

Re: gas tank rust
 
Hi Grumpy, have you used the kit before? I have rust in my tank now and was going to take it to the local radiator shop to have it coated but if this works I would rather do it myself. I replaced my original tank with one from LMC about 6 years ago and it recently started rusting pretty bad. Nothing like quality Chinese steel!

greasemonkey 06-03-2018 10:52 AM

Re: gas tank rust
 
I've gone through this recently with a motorcycle gas tank that had sat over winter with water in the tank. I tried oxalic acid and wasn't impressed. I ended up using Ospho (phosphoric acid) and water solution and let it soak a few days. I threw some old bolts and nuts in it, shook it violently, rinsed it and it looked brand new inside. Bike guys swear by Red Kote, so I used that for the liner. It is inexpensive and it is ridiculously easy to use. This is going to be my go-to procedure from now on. Cheaper than buying a new tank as long as you are willing to put in a little work.

prodjay10 06-03-2018 12:55 PM

Re: gas tank rust
 
Thanks for the reply's. I'll try to coat it.

Mikes68C10 06-03-2018 05:51 PM

Re: gas tank rust
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by prodjay10 (Post 8273842)
So I'm in the process of getting one of my trucks going again. I got it running but it still needs a few things to be road worthy enough to risk driving.

Well I thought Id start by getting the tank cleaned. After picking it up I put it in garage. A couple weeks later I go to install it and the tank is rusted inside even worse than before!

Now I'm not sure what I should do. Get it cleaned again? Get it coated? Is there a way to prevent rust without coating it?

I'd clean it myself but I wouldn't know how to get the cleaning agent out of the tank.

I feel your pain, just got word Friday that my tank is much worse then thought... 15 years sitting in a garage - not good at all! I'm ordering a Rockauto replacement tank, read enough posts on this forum to be confident. Reading this post, is making me think a good tank sealer will prevent future rust problems.

Best of luck, whichever path you take, play it safe and coat the inside! :mm:

prodjay10 06-03-2018 07:52 PM

Re: gas tank rust
 
I found that Dorman sells gas tanks. I've had pretty good luck with their parts so I trust their tank should be good enough. I found one sold by Autozone on ebay for $162 shipped. Mine is for a 1972 and has a special vent on the filler neck. If you go to the dorman website, you can find the part number for your truck.

Dorman 576-233

Mikes68C10 06-03-2018 08:00 PM

Re: gas tank rust
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by prodjay10 (Post 8274274)
I found that Dorman sells gas tanks. I've had pretty good luck with their parts so I trust their tank should be good enough. I found one sold by Autozone on ebay for $162 shipped. Mine is for a 1972 and has a special vent on the filler neck. If you go to the dorman website, you can find the part number for your truck.

Dorman 576-233

Thanks! Will give them a look.
Yeah, agree on the Dorman parts, never saw much complaints about them.
Bought one of their LS2 Intakes for my 98 Camaro SS, takes the larger 92mm TB, so good news an less than a/2 price of the :leading brands manifolds.

Dustytrix 06-03-2018 10:26 PM

Re: gas tank rust
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greasemonkey (Post 8273992)
I've gone through this recently with a motorcycle gas tank that had sat over winter with water in the tank. I tried oxalic acid and wasn't impressed. I ended up using Ospho (phosphoric acid) and water solution and let it soak a few days. I threw some old bolts and nuts in it, shook it violently, rinsed it and it looked brand new inside. Bike guys swear by Red Kote, so I used that for the liner. It is inexpensive and it is ridiculously easy to use. This is going to be my go-to procedure from now on. Cheaper than buying a new tank as long as you are willing to put in a little work.

I used some Red Kote on a tractor tank 4 years ago and its still holding up. Great stuff and simple to use.

mike16 06-04-2018 12:46 AM

Re: gas tank rust
 
the fact that there are so many variables and success is still uncertain.

Just get a new tank.All the money spent on rebuild kits, fuel filters, fuel pumps and coatings? and those trips to the parts store, and the pit stop break down procedures in the intersection at rush hour...and those call to all your friends to either come pick you up or bring a tow rope...., the under hood fires and the several exhuaste systems you will blow apart on busy roads... And those are the facts that are certain .....

just get a new tank.

Mikes68C10 06-04-2018 08:21 PM

Re: gas tank rust
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike16 (Post 8274433)
the fact that there are so many variables and success is still uncertain.

Just get a new tank.All the money spent on rebuild kits, fuel filters, fuel pumps and coatings? and those trips to the parts store, and the pit stop break down procedures in the intersection at rush hour...and those call to all your friends to either come pick you up or bring a tow rope...., the under hood fires and the several exhuaste systems you will blow apart on busy roads... And those are the facts that are certain .....

just get a new tank.

:ito: Ordering this week, likely the one from Rockauto. Reputable name, made in Canada from what I read. Sounds good to me.

engineer_gregh 06-06-2018 10:49 AM

Re: gas tank rust
 
1 Attachment(s)
Just got my Dorman gas tank today, part #576-233. Made in Taiwan! Ordered off Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/11277339468...m=112773394685

Boog 06-07-2018 06:09 AM

Re: gas tank rust
 
Maybe use a good tank coating now before that new tank is installed to get the most out of both the tank and coating? Insurance.

Mikes68C10 06-13-2018 09:20 PM

Re: gas tank rust
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by engineer_gregh (Post 8275958)
Just got my Dorman gas tank today, part #576-233. Made in Taiwan! Ordered off Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/11277339468...m=112773394685

Finally! my tank was delivered. Went through Advance Autoparts. They had a 30% off special going... Spectra premium tank for my 68 delivered for 170.00

Spectra Premium Fuel Tank
Part No GM49A
Warranty: 3 YR REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE

The extra week of wait almost killed me.... Dropping at the garage tomorrow morning, hoping to have my truck back in my driveway by early next week!
Then I can get to giving her a good cleaning.:chevy:
Mike

prodjay10 07-01-2018 05:07 PM

Re: gas tank rust
 
What'd you guys think of your new tanks?

My Dorman has a filler neck that is a tad too large. The gas cap is loose because of it.

engineer_gregh 08-09-2018 11:17 AM

Re: gas tank rust
 
Installed my new tank yesterday. Fit was good and my gas cap is nice and tight. I hope this one lasts longer than the LMC tank I installed seven years ago. Time will tell.

AussieinNC 10-29-2018 08:00 PM

Re: gas tank rust
 
Have to assume everyone knows to NEVER click on any hidden links in any messages on any boards....

These forms of web trash are dangerous in the extreme, especially for the non technical among the population.

:chevy::gmc2::chevy::gmc2::chevy:

racerop 10-30-2018 05:54 PM

Re: gas tank rust
 
Shouldn’t that post be removed?

AussieinNC 10-30-2018 08:31 PM

Re: gas tank rust
 
The admins should be able to remove the post...

The hidden links in the post are all still active....

Please dont click on any links....

Just dropped a note to the admins

Thanks

:chevy::chevy::chevy:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com