The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Vendor Reviews (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   Jim Carter Trucks - Unethical Business Practices( issue resolved edited by mod) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=256897)

Solego 09-04-2007 03:18 PM

Jim Carter Trucks - Unethical Business Practices( issue resolved edited by mod)

2 Attachment(s)
Below is the letter I sent them in response to their unethical business practices. It is self-explanatory.

To whom it may concern:

I have recently purchased a 1969 GMC 2500 with the intention of completing a frame-off restoration. I have purchased several small parts from different companies such as yours who cater to my needs. From you, I purchased a pair of wiper blades (WW139). I was quite surprised at the low price you offered, $7.55(x2 = $15.10) as compared to that of LMC Trucks, who offfered the same part for $10.95. I was also impressed with your honest shipping practices.

I recieved my order and found the wiper blades to be of good quality construction, and was also surprised at the very low shipping rate of $2.67. All in all, I believed I found the company of which I was to buy all of the parts for my entire truck. Yet, here we begin the downward spiral.

I looked at the shipping invoice and discovered that $25.84 was charged to my Master Card, as opposed to $15.10. I went to my files and pulled the order sheet that I printed off the internet and verified that I did in fact agree to the price of $15.10.

I called your company and spoke to someone, of whom I cannot remember, and told them of this dilemma. They then told me of the policy that "prices are subject to change without notice." To that I responded, "Even after I purchase them?" She stated that because the vendors raise their prices, you have no choice but to raise yours, even after I agree to purchase the items at the previous price.

I am no fool and understand that the our free market will determine the price of goods. But to increase the amount charged to someone's credit card to almost double the agreed upon price after they have purchased the item is tantamount to theft. And no fine print policy would stand up in court if it is of detriment to the public good. Fortunately for you, this is a matter of ethics and principles.

If you wish to right your wrong, then I will be open to forgiveness. If you wish to change your business practices, then I may even be open to continue doing business with you.

But as for now, do not expect my business. What you can expect is that I will be posting this on a website for truck owners, specifically, http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/. With 32,827 registered members, you can expect to be well known among classic truck enthusiasts. How you respond will determine the reputation among our members.

Attachments: Completed Internet Order
Invoice Included with Order

Michael T Moore
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Newberry, FL 32669
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

captain 09-04-2007 03:31 PM

Re: Jim Carter Trucks - Unethical Business Practices

That is incredible. My understanding is that the receipt is a contract. So what they did would be breaching that contract, but maybe I'm wrong. Either way it is unacceptable I am looking forward to their response to know whether I will ever buy from them.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

70cst 09-04-2007 03:32 PM

I would agree something is fishy. How can they legally increase the selling price after the price was accepted? If satisfaction is not given I would follow up with the BBB. There are to many quality dealers out there to purchase our supplies from that this type of business is unacceptable. Good luck.

It will be interesting to see if or how Carters will respond.

Solego 09-04-2007 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain (Post 2341911)
That is incredible. My understanding is that the receipt is a contract. So what they did would be breaching that contract, but maybe I'm wrong. Either way it is unacceptable I am looking forward to their response to know whether I will ever buy from them.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

That is something I brought up with the sales rep, that I had purchased them at the cheaper price. She responded that the purchase is not "complete" until the order is "shipped." We will see. Most parts companies recieve all their items from the same manufacturer, so LMC and other companies provide items with the same good quality construction.

Mike

neonlarry 09-04-2007 03:37 PM

I would also contact Mastercard and make them aware of the problem.

BB72CHEVKT 09-04-2007 03:42 PM

I have their catalog and have not used them that I can remember. I do not think I will even if they resolve your issue.

Solego 09-04-2007 03:44 PM

I do not intend to get any of my money back. The parts are quality parts and the amount of money is insignificant to me. The best course of action is what I'm currently doing. Word of mouth advertising is the most effective there is. I will become a member of every classic truck site I can find and spread the word. Basic consumer practices will determine the course of their future.

(I'm glad I paid attention in macro- and micro-economics!)

69GMCor70Chevy 09-04-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solego (Post 2341916)
That is something I brought up with the sales rep, that I had purchased them at the cheaper price. She responded that the purchase is not "complete" until the order is "shipped." We will see. Most parts companies recieve all their items from the same manufacturer, so LMC and other companies provide items with the same good quality construction.

Mike

Wouldn't they have to inform you of the price change then before the item is shipped? Not after.

john 09-04-2007 04:27 PM

I would still protest to master charge. They will protect you from this kind of business. They will reimburse your account.

1971K54X4 09-04-2007 04:30 PM

:agree:

Ackattack 09-04-2007 04:37 PM

I would also register a complaint with the better business bureau.

It could, however, be an honest mistake...but they should, of course, correct it promptly...and the person you talked to fired or something.

Solego 09-04-2007 04:38 PM

I have done some digging in my email folders and have found in my junk folder several emails from them. This whole situation may have been prevented had better notification been given, such as a phone call since the price was almost doubled. On 08/29/07 I recieved an email which stated the true price.

From: "James Carter" <bhall@oldchevytrucks.com> Add to Address Book Block Sender | Block Domain
Date: 2007/08/29 Wed PM 12:50:18 EDT
To: "Michael Moore" <mtm717@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Santa Fe Sales Customer Receipt/Purchase Confirmation

========= GENERAL INFORMATION =========

Merchant : Santa Fe Sales
Date/Time : 29-Aug-2007 11:50:18 AM
Transaction ID : 1538835265

========= ORDER INFORMATION =========
Invoice Number : 70230
Description : CW ,Web Order
Total : 28.51 (USD)
Tax : 0.00
Shipping : 2.67
Tax Exempt : Yes
Purchase Order Number : 70230
Payment Method : MasterCard

==== BILLING INFORMATION ===
Customer ID : 286047
First Name : Michael
Last Name : Moore
Company :
Address :
City : Newberry
State/Province : FL
Zip/Postal Code : 32669
Phone :
Fax :
Email : mtm717@bellsouth.net

==== SHIPPING INFORMATION ===
First Name : Michael
Last Name : Moore
Company :
Address :
City : Newberry
State/Province : FL
Zip/Postal Code : 32669

Four hours after that I recieved another email which stated the item was shipped.

From: <info@oldchevytrucks.com> Add to Address Book Block Sender | Block Domain
Date: 2007/08/29 Wed PM 04:15:21 EDT
To: <mtm717@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Your Jim Carter Classic Truck Parts order

Re: Order Number: 70230

Your order
Was shipped on
08/29/07

The following items were shipped
Item Qty Qty Qty
Expected
Number Description Ord. Shp. Bck. By
---------- ------------------------------ -------- -------- -------- -------
-
WW139 WIPER BLADE 67-72 APPROX. 15" 2.00 2.00 0.00
EACH Modern type (approximatel
y 15 inch).

Date Shipped Via
08/29/07 US Mail - First Class
Tracking Number:

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude EVA]

Four hours between notification by email that the price has close to doubled and notification that it had already been shipped.

Increase the price and ship the same day. Not an honest way of business, regardless of my lack of due diligence. Had I even caught it, I would still have had the inconvenience of having to take my own time and return it. And time is money. My opinion has still not changed and I have yet to recieve a reply from them. Were I in management for that company, I would have personally called me by phone by now.

:drama:

LUV2XCLR8 09-04-2007 04:40 PM

Reminds me of the issue I am currently having with one of my Rally's :rolleyes:

Solego 09-04-2007 04:40 PM

Were MC to reimburse me, would I not have to return the items to the company?

killer71 09-04-2007 04:43 PM

all that business they stand to lose for < $10...not good! Thanks for the info!

Pop's72 09-04-2007 04:47 PM

I don't see any way they can legally justify this.

The only way they can make this right is if they apologize for the customer service rep stupidity and/or change their unethical “policy” and refund you the difference in cost.

90\87Formula 09-04-2007 04:53 PM

Definately contact you credit card company. If not for yourself, then for others that order after you. Maybe some guy here that didn't read this thread.
If your credit card company does a charge-back ( I think that's what it's called), maybe Carter Trucks will have second thoughts about doing this kind of crap.
If you don't do anything through the cc company, Carter Trucks willl just keep on doing it as long as they can.
Hits to their bank account will always get their attention.

zacut 09-04-2007 05:08 PM

and they thought they were big with the 5% discount. That is the part that cracks me up.

chvtrkman 09-04-2007 05:30 PM

I have bought parts from them in the past. Had a problem with them shipping the wrong clutch disc, but they resolved it. You should write to the owner.Maybe the person you dealt with on the phone didn't follow company policy.

68gmsee 09-04-2007 05:50 PM

It still amazes me how some companies would rather lose future business and well being for what amounts to peanuts to them... Unbelievable!

A.P. 09-04-2007 06:18 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this company.

shifty 09-04-2007 06:18 PM

Time to call the BBB. They can't shake a bad business flag once it's there.

Solego 09-04-2007 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90\87Formula (Post 2342019)
Definately contact you credit card company. If not for yourself, then for others that order after you. Maybe some guy here that didn't read this thread.
If your credit card company does a charge-back ( I think that's what it's called), maybe Carter Trucks will have second thoughts about doing this kind of crap.
If you don't do anything through the cc company, Carter Trucks willl just keep on doing it as long as they can.
Hits to their bank account will always get their attention.

Thanks for the info. I not well informed about that as I don't keep a balance on my credit card, but I will contact them. I will give them some time to reply before I contact the BBB.

FleetsidePaul 09-04-2007 07:03 PM

There are vendors right here on this board that you can at least have more direct access too.
I've got stuff from GMC Paul, and Atheys and been real happy both times.

I wont deal with Carter after hearing this.

corn 09-04-2007 07:14 PM

Lets say... you sent them a money order for the parts. How would they have pulled that trick then? Why do they even put prices in their catalogs? Also, when you order, they usually tell you if its in stock. If so, the price they paid shouldnt have gone up until after they restocked the part. Doesnt sound legal or at least it doesnt sound like a place Id like to buy from. Thanks for the warning...