The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Classic Industries vs LMC (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=501725)

davepl 01-04-2012 11:31 PM

Classic Industries vs LMC

I like the LMT online catalog a lot better, but that aside, do people have a strong preference for one over the other in terms of pricing or quality or selection?

I'm assuming most of the parts all from the same source (OER) but I could be wrong.

rsavage 01-05-2012 12:08 AM

Re: Classic Industries vs LMT

Do you mean LMC?

blkcorvair 01-05-2012 12:14 AM

never bought from LMC but have been happy with Classic Industries. They run good sales from time to time. Never seen one from LMC

too much stuff 01-05-2012 12:21 AM

There are quite a few vendors on this sight that know their parts well...

ETsC10 01-05-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too much stuff (Post 5102647)
There are quite a few vendors on this sight that know their parts well...

X2

LMC is more a reference manual w/ neat drawings, IMHO. :lol:
Our board vendors generally are truck nuts and often local, too.

70cst 01-05-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETsC10 (Post 5102711)
X2

LMC is more a reference manual w/ neat drawings, IMHO. :lol:
Our board vendors generally are truck nuts and often local, too.

:agree: X 3 Its a :gi: to check out some of the Vendors who support this site because they have good products and they know these trucks.

VA72C10 01-05-2012 01:07 AM

x4 on board vendors and using LMC as a pricing/info catalog...(although I'm sure they don't appreciate that :D)

sanford66 01-05-2012 01:34 AM

I like Classic Parts, it seems they are a little cheaper than anyone else, and fast shipping too. Joseph

earlthegoat2 01-05-2012 03:55 AM

The LMC catalog is great to have on hand as a supplement to an assembly manual and a has a few things like how to read a VIN.

I have ordered from them but do so with reluctance.

markallen 01-05-2012 04:22 AM

i have both catalogs and just order whichever one is cheaper

hjewell2 01-05-2012 07:55 AM

So far Classic Parts has never let me down with back orders, bad parts, or worng parts shipped ETC. I did have a lady that had a very bad day and vented on me during my parts order.

special-K 01-05-2012 08:01 AM

It seem silly to use such a narrow scope when there are far more options than the two biggies. Personally,I patronize small businesses before big and don't deal with either.

longhorn70gmc 01-05-2012 07:48 PM

Classic Industries has never done me wrong. I enjoy buying from them. I shop were the deals are too.
R/

bollybib 01-05-2012 09:55 PM

I try not to sole source my parts. They all have their good and bad points.

blkcorvair 01-05-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bollybib (Post 5104333)
I try not to sole source my parts. They all have their good and bad points.

This is correct. I try to find who I feel or have heard has a better reproduction part. When it seems they are all the same I go for the better deal. LMC altogether tho doesnt have a clue what manufacture they are selling if you call and ask about a specific part. I have had good luck with Calssic Industries, Classic Parts and Brothers thus far. But I also tend to check in and buy from GMC Pauls first and sometimes Top Banana.

Needless to say theres alot of options thankfully to help us get these things back together!

jocko 01-05-2012 11:41 PM

I've had both good and lousy experiences with both, so I guess you could say I like/dislike them both! If I need it, I'll call em, but I'm with Special K, I tend to ge the best service and a quality part from smaller businesses - so I go there when I can.

1972RedNeck 01-05-2012 11:58 PM

Truck and Car Shop is normally the cheapest but you need to order the part 3 months before you need it.

70cst 01-06-2012 12:19 AM

Re: Classic Industries vs LMC

I changed the heading to LMC...the LMT was driving me nuts :lol:

70c10-08 01-06-2012 02:34 AM

Ive used both and had good service with both ive heard some bad bout LMC but i bought quite a few parts for my S-10 and they turned out pretty good

VA72C10 01-06-2012 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkcorvair (Post 5104549)
This is correct. I try to find who I feel or have heard has a better reproduction part. When it seems they are all the same I go for the better deal. LMC altogether tho doesnt have a clue what manufacture they are selling if you call and ask about a specific part.

This is the way I buy. Shop for the best deal at a place I trust....

The issue with LMC is as mentioned....they sell some really nice stuff....sometimes...but other times it can be junk. For example...if you ordered a lower molding set...one time it could be Mark-K for less than mark-k sells it for....but next time it could be corvex that doesn't fit correctly...

I think a lot of people like LMC because of their past reputation...they used to actually sell a lot of NOS parts in their catalogs for repop prices and had set up agreements with people like CSM and Jerry brown to make some nice parts for them....but as they got bigger and the NOS supply dried up this is no longer the case and they use mainly the cheapest imported parts they can get their hands on....unless there is a back order on those...and then you might be a lucky one to receive some really nice parts for a reasonable price ;)

rsavage 01-06-2012 08:35 AM

Depending on the part I need during a restoration, I'll try the parts board on this site for an original part I can restore. These purchases are usually for hard parts that are missing such as an original air cleaner etc. I have purchased parts from Board vendors and just about every major supplier out there. I haven't really had any bad experiences with any of them. LMC gets a lot of negative press, most of which I believe is BS based on my own experiences with them over many years. Someone says they are no good and ten other people jump on the bandwagon even though they haven't personally had a bad experience. I would suggest that you not buy new reproduction parts off Ebay as most of the time they are more expensive than buying through a vendor.

PanelDeland 01-06-2012 10:13 AM

Since no one else mentioned it.Go with a local BB vendor,pick up your parts in person(so you actually get to see feel what you're getting),spend some time "bench racing" with the vendor, and save sometimes big bucks on shipping.To me that's a win/win situation.

rsavage 01-06-2012 10:24 AM

DavePl- I forgot to mention big swap meets as a source. Out east we have Carlisle, Canton, Charlotte etc. Carlisle has a truck specific show in August. Lots of vendors with deals on new/repop parts and lots of used. If you have such shows/meets out west, they are worth the trip. No shipping and an ambiance that can't be beat. Every time I go to one I feel like a kid in a candy store. It's great to meet and talk with other hobbyists and you can pick up and look at the part. Love the fact that you can barter a little too.

butternut1972 01-06-2012 11:03 AM

I had a good experiance with classic parts, everything came right on time and no problems with parts fitting. Also Bigblock68 on the board sells new parts, I bought a few items from him and they fit very well plus he is close to me so I can go pick them up.

RDF503 05-21-2020 09:15 PM

Classic industries or lmc for seat cover?