The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Lower coil spring insulator (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=735839)

kevinc 04-18-2017 09:00 PM

Lower coil spring insulator

Im replacing ball joints in my 1988 c1500 and the lower insulator for the coil spring just crumbled when I took it out. I need new ones, but I can't find any online. All I can find are upper insulators, buy my truck did not have them. I can find lowers, but they lift the truck 1.5" and i dont want that. I checked Oreilly, Advance Auto, Autozone, and Pep Boys. What can I do for a replacement? Are they really necessary?

Thank you,
Kevin

Tom 04-19-2017 08:46 PM

Re: Lower coil spring insulator

Never seen lower isolators, only uppers. You sure someone didn't re-install the uppers on the wrong side at some point before you got it?

kevinc 04-20-2017 12:56 PM

That would explain why I can't find a lower then. At least I can get an upper at the parts store.

Thank you,
Kevin

Chris95GT 04-20-2017 01:15 PM

Bottom isolation in my opinion would come from the control arm bushings, however top of the coils resting against the coil bucket of the frame would be where I'd think they'd go as well.

JWall 04-20-2017 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 7920392)
Never seen lower isolators, only uppers. You sure someone didn't re-install the uppers on the wrong side at some point before you got it?

I'm with him on this.
In all the OBS trucks i've lowered never seen a lower just an upper.

Tom 04-20-2017 03:52 PM

To add, I've been running no isolators for a couple years now. I got new ones but I'm afraid they'll raise the front slightly which I don't want. No rattles/squeeks without the isolators.

kevinc 04-22-2017 08:54 PM

I picked up insulators from Oreilly. Pretty much they are just 3/16" thick rubber washers. Put them in between the spring and frame. It actually seems quieter.

When I was underneath the truck putting it together it dawned on me there is no front sway bar. The holes are in the frame for the sway bar brackets and the control arms have the holes for the end links. Is it possible mine didn't have a sway bar from factory or was this removed somewhere during the past 29 years? There are no marks on the frame indicating there ever was a bar installed. I looked online and I don't feel like paying $200+ for a sway bar. My choice is one from a Pick and Pull yard. Will one from a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck bolt in place? I would like the increased size. Were there any trucks that had the rear sway bars from the factory that would bolt in?

Thanks for your input.

Kevin C

Cape Codder 04-30-2017 11:16 AM

There are no insulators on the bottom as the spring is indexed into a stop and doesn't turn on the bottom. The upper seat is flat and any twisting of the spring is absorbed by the upper insulator.