The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Check out this trim (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=742619)

Leonard1 07-17-2017 09:14 PM

Check out this trim

1 Attachment(s)
Original trim, original cab corner. It looks worse in person than in the picture. I guess I need to waller (if that's a word) the hole out?
Attachment 1671408

Joesjunk 07-17-2017 09:34 PM

Re: Check out this trim

I have an all original 71 Cheyenne built at Janesville and the trim is put on terrible! Janesville trucks seem to be built very sloppy

Baker72chevy 07-17-2017 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started putting my trim on

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-18-2017 12:06 AM

From what I see Leonard, your door to bed molding is dead-on. Don't often see that on less than a rebuild, I take it the cab mounts were replaced?

Not to hijack this thread, but if anyone has precise measurements for each end of each piece, that would be very much appreciated. One side only of course, but tail would be a bonus. I can get by with the horizontal measurements only (e.g., front edge of door to hole is........). The height seems pretty straight forward, even without GMs reference points.

GM provides the measurements, but the reference points are a mystery. The truck I'm building never had the moldings, but will.

On a side, GMs assembly manual is more or less a guide. First, there's no substitute for a good eye test. That's the obvious............. Second, with at least some of the factory hardware packages that came with the moldings, they used a lot of 3M stick-on clips. In other terms, you don't have to drill so many holes. Seems I read this change occurred 71-72. That said, wouldn't surprise me if the difference is "replacement parts", sometime after 1972.

Leonard1 07-18-2017 10:01 PM

Hey Baker, that looks awesome! New trim?

71short: Yes, new mounts. I would have gladly taken measurements for you before I put the trim on.

Baker72chevy 07-18-2017 10:24 PM

We did all the body work then put
The truck back together then line the trim up
Then took it all back part painted it then
Back together then new trim

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-25-2017 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baker72chevy (Post 7994318)
We did all the body work then put
The truck back together then line the trim up
Then took it all back part painted it then
Back together then new trim

Sounds like a plan to me.

NGN 07-25-2017 11:35 AM

Just throwing this out I really don't know anything about trim, but could it be on the wrong side, is it possible ?
Posted via Mobile Device

Leonard1 07-25-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGN (Post 7999419)
Just throwing this out I really don't know anything about trim, but could it be on the wrong side, is it possible ?

That's the first thing I thought, but I marked it on the back when it was removed, and the profile of the top and bottom of the trim is different...

Dieselwrencher 07-25-2017 05:03 PM

Instead of wallering out a hole, you can measure how far it's off. Remove the trim clip and remove the stud from the clip. Much like removing a rivet. Then cut a bolt to the length you need and drill a new hole in the trim clip, stick the bolt through so it's flush with the back of the clip and tack it. You technically wouldn't have to drill a hole in the clip. You could just place the stud where you want it and weld it on the clip.

This will relocate the trim piece without modifying your sheet metal. Or, you could get 2 plastic stick on clips and put the trim piece right where you need it. The stick on ones leave a lot to be desired over time though...