The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   earthquake (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=851811)

kwmech 04-05-2024 01:03 AM

earthquake

Anybody local feel the shaking?? 2 quakes right after one another---about 25-30 seconds of continual movement made me believe something major had occurred in the San Francisco area. Nope..about a hundred miles from me in another mountain range. That was my excitement for the evening

Richard 04-05-2024 04:16 AM

Re: earthquake

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 9301620)
Anybody local feel the shaking?? 2 quakes right after one another---about 25-30 seconds of continual movement made me believe something major had occurred in the San Francisco area. Nope..about a hundred miles from me in another mountain range. That was my excitement for the evening

Felt nothing where I am in Simi.

Boog 04-05-2024 08:54 AM

Anybody fascinated with how those multistory buildings in Taiwan are still standing at such an incredible angle after their earthquake? It's crazy to see a building so large leaning so much without touching any other building. Looks like near 60* angle.
How does their building plans differ from ours to enable such a thing?

special-K 04-05-2024 09:02 AM

I don't watch the news, other than getting the weather report from my local news website. So, I'll check a story that shows up that strikes my interest. I didn't see anything. Funny how such things don't make the news. It was real for you I'm sure. I guess it was a low population area, so...

LockDoc 04-05-2024 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 9301620)

There were actually 5 of them in that area.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...9011,-10.72266

Sometimes it looks like one or two but if you zoom in on it it separates them....

I check the USGS web site almost daily.

68panelman 04-05-2024 10:40 AM

We just had one about ten minutes ago here on the eastcoast, reports say a 4.8 located in Lebanon, New Jersey
I felt it sitting here at the kitchen island and the dish cupboard was rattling

72c20customcamper 04-05-2024 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got a emergency notice of aftershocks

LockDoc 04-05-2024 06:37 PM

-
2826 people have reported it to USGS so far.

special-K 04-06-2024 07:27 AM

I've seen more talk about the California quakes among people I know. The NJ quake is reported on MD news this morning and it was felt some places in MD. I had one quick jar that made a thump before knowing about the quake. It was so quick I wasn't sure if it wasn't me having some sort of spasm.

68panelman 04-06-2024 10:11 AM

Any earthquake on the east coast is always a big deal, you mods can downplay all you want. The last one was Aug, 2011 and was a 5.8 in Mineral, Virginia, I felt that one too and it's exactly why I knew this one was an earthquake immediately upon happening.

LockDoc 04-06-2024 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68panelman (Post 9301931)
Any earthquake on the east coast is always a big deal, you mods can downplay all you want. The last one was Aug, 2011 and was a 5.8 in Mineral, Virginia, I felt that one too and it's exactly why I knew this one was an earthquake immediately upon happening.

Sorry, I don't see where any Mods downplayed anything.

Personal attacks are not tolerated on this forum, so I edited out your comment on that.....

LockDoc, Moderator

68panelman 04-06-2024 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9301940)
Sorry, I don't see where any Mods downplayed anything.

Personal attacks are not tolerated on this forum, so I edited out your comment on that.....

LockDoc, Moderator

This was in no means a personal attack and you only posted and removed what you wanted to be seen by the members, so post the whole thing next time so we are both on a fair playing field. Now I do feel like moderators are flexing their authority.
Your own post at 6:37 pm of only 2826 people reported it to USGS when it was actually felt by around 46 million is pure disinformation and actually facetious in my view.
Do as you must

Greg58 04-06-2024 02:35 PM

"Lighten up Francis"

68bowtie 04-06-2024 04:19 PM

The USGS website allows the public to enter your address and if you felt it. The website shows the number of people that do that. That’s probably the number he is referencing. And perhaps the source of some miscommunication.

LockDoc 04-06-2024 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68panelman (Post 9301956)
This was in no means a personal attack and you only posted and removed what you wanted to be seen by the members, so post the whole thing next time so we are both on a fair playing field. Now I do feel like moderators are flexing their authority.
Your own post at 6:37 pm of only 2826 people reported it to USGS when it was actually felt by around 46 million is pure disinformation and actually facetious in my view.
Do as you must

When you call the moderators ignorant that is a personal attack. I don't care how you see it....

When I checked the USGS web site and posted, 2826 reports is exactly what it showed. Maybe you should contact The USGS and chew their a$$ out for not updating it quick enough, Just don't call me ignorant or I certainly will flex my authority..

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 9302038)
The USGS website allows the public to enter your address and if you felt it. The website shows the number of people that do that. That’s probably the number he is referencing. And perhaps the source of some miscommunication.

That is obviously what happened, and it may have been updated shortly after I posted. That still doesn't give him any right to call me or any other Moderator ignorant.

LT7A 04-07-2024 06:04 AM

I've been through a couple of earthquakes, one took down parts of buildings in the area where I work. I don't know anyone who reported it to the USGS. What an I missing here? I don't see how the number of people who report it necessarily has anything to do with the number of people who experienced it. All I can see is that number of people who report it is relevant as an interesting data point.

special-K 04-07-2024 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68panelman (Post 9301956)
Do as you must

I have noticed you seem to carry with you this notion that moderators over flex their authority. It's time for you to take a hard look at yourself to see where this might be coming from, because your thoughts couldn't be further from the truth. This forum has the great benefit of having a very fair group of moderators and I'm sure the body of membership will agree. I guess I missed something here, so I have no comment on this specific occurrence. But I will say that this east coast earthquake we just experienced, while a big deal to us, needs no downplay. In the full scope of things it really was no big deal. As far as I know there has been no damage reported, therefore it is rated as a small quake. It is a big deal to us because they seldom occur for us, so thoughts turn to what's going on in the bigger picture. The quake in 2011 was a big deal, being 1/3 yet stronger, felt over a much larger area, and with damage to many structures even beyond the epicenter. The National Cathedral in Wash DC required serious repairs. www.cathedral.org

Micmac 04-07-2024 12:27 PM

There was a significant one in my old hometown of Sparta, NC before I moved to Maine three years ago. It was significant. 5plus I believe. Often there are mini earthquakes in Eastport, Maine some 15 mile away I don’t feel.

kwmech 04-07-2024 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9302146)
I've been through a couple of earthquakes, one took down parts of buildings in the area where I work. I don't know anyone who reported it to the USGS. What an I missing here? I don't see how the number of people who report it necessarily has anything to do with the number of people who experienced it. All I can see is that number of people who report it is relevant as an interesting data point.

If you fill out the questionnaire you'll see the involvement. Where, intensity, duration, motion etc. anything else significant...it's part of the science. It's more than if you just felt it. I always fill them out. If they can get to the point of prediction..I'm all for it. Although Dutchinse does a pretty close job

'63GENIII 04-07-2024 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 9301666)
Anybody fascinated with how those multistory buildings in Taiwan are still standing at such an incredible angle after their earthquake? It's crazy to see a building so large leaning so much without touching any other building. Looks like near 60* angle.
How does their building plans differ from ours to enable such a thing?

Much like Japan and to some extent here in the bay area, newer buildings (from whenever it becomes relevant for a particular area) are built more and more to suit the environment they're in. Much like in other parts of the country we build for hurricanes and tornados.

A guy that I work closely with was there on vacation with his family. They were in a taxi on their way to that town that had the buildings tip over. The driver pulled over to the side of the road. My friend said it was 30+ seconds of the most violent movement he'd ever experienced. He was here for Loma Prieta for reference. Police shut down the roads, trains and most any transportation corridors until they could be inspected. My friend and his family sat with their driver on the side of the road for a little over 3 hours. It was around 9 am their time. 6pm or so ours. They ended up having to turn around and head back to their air bnb because a bridge on the way to their destination had collapsed.

As far as the quake that we had the other day here, i didn't feel it. Was likely driving at the time.

57taskforce 04-07-2024 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9302182)
I have noticed you seem to carry with you this notion that moderators flex their authority. It's time for you to take a hard look at yourself to see where this might be coming from, because your thoughts couldn't be further from the truth. This forum has the great benefit of having a very fair group of moderators and I'm sure the body of membership will agree. I guess I missed something here, so I have no comment on this specific occurrence. But I will say that this east coast earthquake we just experienced, while a big deal to us, needs no downplay. In the full scope of things it really was no big deal. As far as I know there has been no damage reported, therefore it is rated as a small quake. It is a big deal to us because they seldom occur for us, so thoughts turn to what's going on in the bigger picture. The quake in 2011 was a big deal, being 1/3 yet stronger, felt over a much larger area, and with damage to many structures even beyond the epicenter. The National Cathedral in Wash DC required serious repairs. www.cathedral.org

Don’t forget the Washington monument as well. I remember that quake vividly. I remember another one when I was in high school 20+ years ago that was centered around Lovettsville Va, that was really weak but still garnered a fair amount of attention. Glad everyone is seemingly ok on the east coast and CA.

I don’t see any mod foul play here at all. Leon is the last person in the world to “flex” for no reason.