The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Bleeding cooling system (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=513897)

C15_Sierra 03-12-2012 11:28 AM

Bleeding cooling system

I'm running a stock '80 cooling system in my 5.3 swap, and I'm thinking over my lack of coolant flow issue. I thought it might be a new water pump, but now I'm doubting that and thinking that it's air-locked somehow.

I used '00 Silverado radiator hoses (my 5.3 is from a '00 Silverado), and the upper radiator hose runs up and across to the radiator inlet on the drivers side. I moved it down since it was the highest point in the system, but I'm still not getting any flow. It does seem like there's any coolant in there, so how can I bleed that hose so I can figure out if its indeed my water pump.

Previously, I replaced the thermostat, so I know that's good. Any other tips?

SeventyOne 03-12-2012 02:32 PM

Re: Bleeding cooling system

Did you run the engine w/o a thermostat and the radiator cap removed?

68gmsee 03-12-2012 05:32 PM

Is it running hot or above normal or you just can't feel water moving?

What I usually do is turn the heater to hot and run the vehicle with the cap off while I top off the radiator. Then I'll put the cap on, run it to operating temp (thermostat opens) and after it cools off check it and top it off again if it needs it and make sure the overflow container has coolant in it.

I'll say that in some vehicles you can't always feel water going through the upper hose. I guess I should say, I haven't always felt it but I know it's going through there cause it does get hot..

C15_Sierra 03-12-2012 06:12 PM

Couldn't run w/o a thermostat because it's built into the water pump inlet housing, low in the system (so replacing it would defeat the purpose)

I didn't feel any heat in the heater hose or in the upper radiator hose...that shoulda told me something

What I DID forget was to back-feed coolant into the block via the upper radiator hose. Did just that, and lo and behold, she ran a steady 197 degrees according to the scan tool. Heater hoses had heat and so did the upper rad hose

Thanks guys!

cableguy0 03-12-2012 06:38 PM

The easiest way to bleed a cooling system is with a funnel like this one Amazon.com: Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel:... Amazon.com: Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel:... . It stops you from making a mess and having coolant blow all over the place from running the vehicle with the radiator cap off.

68gmsee 03-12-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C15_Sierra (Post 5247629)
..... lo and behold, she ran a steady 197 degrees according to the scan tool. Heater hoses had heat and so did the upper rad hose
Thanks guys!

Great going!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cableguy0 (Post 5247668)
The easiest way to bleed a cooling system is with a funnel like this one Amazon.com: Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel: Automotive . It stops you from making a mess and having coolant blow all over the place from running the vehicle with the radiator cap off.

Good idea. I usually use a funnel but it never seems to want to stay in place. Might have to order one of these since my yearly coolant change is due on my vehicles... Thanks.

truckdude239 03-12-2012 10:10 PM

i got the same funnel at work not quite figured it out yet

cableguy0 03-12-2012 10:40 PM

The trick is to not fill funnel to the top. The coolant needs room in the funnel to expand. Also when it first starts pushing the air out while its running it will push the coolant upward. I keep the funnel filled to about when it goes from the large cone to round area right on the line. That way it doesnt overflow.

fastwillie 696969 03-13-2012 01:58 PM

have you tried to jack the rear of the truck up