The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project "Buffalo Blizzard Surprise" 71 SWB build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=651394)

derotoreut 11-30-2014 12:31 AM

Project "Buffalo Blizzard Surprise" 71 SWB build

4 Attachment(s)
This will be my first build thread and I thought I might as well get it started. My build thread name is pretty fitting, as my truck was delivered on November 21st, during our recent Buffalo winter storm. The truck was shipped from my friend's house in Surprise, Arizona to my house in the Buffalo, New York area. Thus the name "Buffalo Blizzard Surprise".

Here are a few pictures of the truck while still in Arizona.

Ghostryder79 11-30-2014 12:35 AM

Re: Project "Buffalo Blizzard Surprise" 71 SWB build

Looks like a good foundation. Talk about a weather change from the dryness of Arizona.

'68 Newtricks 11-30-2014 12:47 AM

hahaha poor thing :D

derotoreut 11-30-2014 12:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I originally thought about doing a "fly and drive". I seriously thought about flying out to Arizona and driving the truck back to Buffalo, but it got too late in the year. Good thing because this snow storm hit us pretty hard. The storm began on Monday, November 17th and shut down the entire area for the full week. By the way… That's a car in picture #2.

derotoreut 11-30-2014 12:57 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Since I decided not to drive the truck, I used a shipping broker. I had a great experience with Roy Podolin, from Transport Time. Roy is great guy and good to work with. He used Guyette's Auto Transportion out of California. Chris from Guyette's was unbelievable. He left Arizona on Tues, 11/18 and delivered the truck on Fri, 11/21; Even with our snow storm!!! He dropped off a car in Amarillo, Texas then Cleveland before coming to Buffalo. I can't believe he even got to me.

Here are some pictures of the truck when it arrived on Friday, 11/21.

'68 Newtricks 11-30-2014 12:22 PM

Easy peasy
Only way to go

derotoreut 12-26-2014 06:41 PM

Just a quick update on my plans for this build. This is going to be a complete frame off. This will be my first complete frame off restoration. I don't have a budget in mind, but I know that what ever I plan on, expect it to be double. I'm not under any time constraints and just plan on taking my time. I need to do a lot of research along the way, and as usual I will look to get help from my friends here. I plan on doing what ever I can my self. My son-in-law is an excellent body and paint guy, and he's super excited about this one. It's going to be a big $$ build, but I want to give it a shot. I hope you guys come along for the ride and give me your help and opinions.

Here is kind of what I have in store:
  • LS(x) conversion with automatic transmission
  • Shaved firewall
  • Dropped and updated suspension (about 4/6 drop)
  • Rack and pinion steering
  • Relocated gas tank
  • 9" rear end
  • Front and rear discs; big brake kits (no booster)
  • Coy's C5 style wheels (not sure of who I'll use. Might be Billet Specialties, Ridler, Coy's, who knows)
  • Wheel/tires: Front: 20X8.5 w/ 255/45/20 & Rear: 20X10 w/ 295/40/20
  • Wood bed
  • Vintage Air
  • Ididit steering column
  • Paddle shifters
  • Dakota Digital VHX
  • Possible one piece door glass w/ power window
  • Custom interior

Blah, blah, blah… And the list will go on, and on, and on. :waah:
Let's have some fun. :metal:

derotoreut 01-14-2015 08:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Started doing some tear down. Made some progress today. I know you all like pictures, so here we go.

Got the truck up on the lift to check out undercarriage. Frame is in very nice condition. Even has the original ground straps on cab and ground strap from front marker light to radiator support. Removed all bed mounting bolts. Even has rear sway bar mounted.

derotoreut 01-14-2015 08:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got all the bed mounts, cab mounts and front clip disconnected. Removed the bench seat and front carpet. Floor is pretty solid. Someone replaced the carpet and did some protective work on the cab floor with rattle can. So far only minimal holes found.

derotoreut 01-14-2015 08:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got the radiator removed and wiring harness mostly removed. Waited until my son came home to give me a hand to lift off the front clip. Next will be lifting off the bed, and then on to the cab.

derotoreut 01-16-2015 09:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Made some more progress today. Took the bed off using my tractor. Made it easy. Next comes the cab.

gdavis 01-17-2015 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derotoreut (Post 6938550)
I originally thought about doing a "fly and drive". I seriously thought about flying out to Arizona and driving the truck back to Buffalo, but it got too late in the year. Good thing because this snow storm hit us pretty hard. The storm began on Monday, November 17th and shut down the entire area for the full week. By the way… That's a car in picture #2.

That snow, this is why I live in Florida

swamp rat 01-17-2015 01:52 AM

Man it looks like the roof is gonna give way in that one pic!

So tell me about your car lift? Who makes it?

I'd be remiss if i didn't also say you have a nice starting point for a frame off build too. Good luck.

derotoreut 01-19-2015 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 7007040)
Man it looks like the roof is gonna give way in that one pic!

So tell me about your car lift? Who makes it?

I'd be remiss if i didn't also say you have a nice starting point for a frame off build too. Good luck.

It does look like the roof is ready to give way. We had 6-feet of snow in one snow fall. I had to shovel our roofs off. It's all good now though.

The lift is a BendPak mid-rise scissor lift. Capable of lifting 6000 lb. I have 10-ft ceiling in my pole barn so I couldn't go with a regular 2-post lift. That was a mistake on my part. I'm happy with the lift though. Its a great product and I highly recommend it. Portable too.

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/spe...ts/md-6xp.aspx

Justin@EntropyRad 01-19-2015 11:56 AM

I showed that pic of you pulling the bed to my brother...he bribed me with lunch to help him pull it, just the two of us..nearly blew an o-ring doing that one

derotoreut 01-27-2015 11:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Made some more progress. The cab is now removed and bare chassis remains!!!
Now it's time to make some more room. The chassis is going to go. I'm putting the complete chassis with engine, transmission and driveshaft up for sale on the forum classifieds. Also, going to sell the 17" American Racing Ansen Sprint wheels and tires.

Gillnetter 01-28-2015 05:52 AM

Nice project.What kind of lift is that in your 8th post?You must have another rolling chassis for this build.Looks like a great start. Wayne

Gillnetter 01-28-2015 07:50 AM

Never mind about the lift i should have read a little closer.Jumped the gun when i saw it.Looks great.

derotoreut 01-28-2015 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gillnetter (Post 7023040)
Never mind about the lift i should have read a little closer.Jumped the gun when i saw it.Looks great.

No problem on the lift. As I mentioned earlier, it's a BendPak mid-rise scissor lift. And yes I'm using a different chassis. This project is using a custom chassis from Scott's Hot Rod. Chassis should be completed some time in February.

jaros44sr 01-30-2015 03:19 PM

I ll watch Dan.....sounds like a cool build, good talking to you in the a.m.

swamp rat 02-14-2015 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derotoreut (Post 7022760)
Made some more progress. The cab is now removed and bare chassis remains!!!
Now it's time to make some more room. The chassis is going to go. I'm putting the complete chassis with engine, transmission and driveshaft up for sale on the forum classifieds. Also, going to sell the 17" American Racing Ansen Sprint wheels and tires.

This comes at a surprise to me, it wasn't on your hit list, so what are the plans for a new chassis?

derotoreut 02-14-2015 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 7047850)
This comes at a surprise to me, it wasn't on your hit list, so what are the plans for a new chassis?

Good catch. No one else noticed that. You're right that it wasn't on my hit list. That's kind of the surprise. Stay tuned… This should be happening pretty soon. Hopefully I'll be updating with details and pictures soon.

derotoreut 02-14-2015 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Made a little more progress. Removed the front and rear glass. It was a little more difficult than other glass that I've removed. I think its because this was all original and never taken out of this truck before. The rubber seals were really stiff and hard. In the end it came out ok.

derotoreut 02-14-2015 09:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
There was no rust around the front windshield. The surfaces looked really good.

derotoreut 02-14-2015 09:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The back window has some minor rust, but nothing too bad. All fixable.