The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Cam gear removal 250 Inline 6cyl (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=96945)

daddybullfrog 03-24-2004 08:45 PM

Cam gear removal 250 Inline 6cyl

The timing gear on my '67 6 cyl bit the dust. I have been able to remove the crank gear with a puller, but the cam gear has no threaded holes to attach a puller. How do I get this thing off?

It is a fiber gear and the replacement set is all metal. Any help will be appreciated.

Gordo 03-24-2004 08:59 PM

I believe you need to remove the camshaft retaining bolts through the holes in the gear then remove the camshaft with gear attached and then press it off in a press. Same goes for the install, it's pressed on.

Fred T 03-25-2004 01:03 PM

The new gear should have installation instructions with it. To install the aluminum gear you need to heat it hot enough to burn your fingers and it should go on without a press. Using a press will shave off metal you need for the interference fit. Most guys either heat in an oven or on a hotplate. A propane torch will work in a pinch, but isn't recommended. Let it air cool after assembly.

There is supposed to be a specific gap between the gear and the plate, but I don't have a manual at work and can't remember what it is.

daddybullfrog 03-25-2004 09:35 PM

There were no instructions with the new gear set. Can I heat the old gear to remove it? The way it looks to me, I'll have to pull the motor to pull the cam as there doesn't seem to be enough room to pull it while the motor is still in the truck.
Maybe some old timer can suggest a way to pull and re-install the gear?
When I was a kid we had a chev 216 drop the timing gear and I'm pretty sure the mechanic did not remove the cam.

NeCrOmAnCeR 03-26-2004 12:07 AM

I've drilled a series of small holes in the metal portion of the gear in a straight line going out from the center. (be careful of where the metal goes, and also don't get to close to the cam). Then take a cold chisel and split the metal ring. Then as posted above, heat the new gear and slip it on (you have to be quick so it remains hot).

Fred T 03-26-2004 03:46 AM

If you need more access you can unbolt the engine mounts and jack the front of the engine up.

I haven't tried swapping the timing gear with the cam in the vehicle. You would have to be careful about getting the timing marks lined up. There is a woodruff key on the cam that comes into play. You will also need a long feeler gauge. End play, clearance between the cam gear and thrust plate needs to be set at .001-,005.

And remember, you only have one shot at doing this right and you will have to work fast. If it were me, I would pull the cam.