The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Would you use nos power steering hoses. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=677880)

chewychevy67 07-28-2015 01:27 PM

Would you use nos power steering hoses.

I have been searching for a while now for 67 68 2wd ram assist hoses and no one near me can make them looking and routing original. I have located a complete set for a real decent price. I am going to buy them either way but would they be ok to use or should I not. My 67 build is extremely towards originality and am not going to put generic parts on. Just in case part #on the hoses are 3914441, 3914442 and 3914425. Rod.

michael bustamante 07-28-2015 02:51 PM

Re: Would you use nos power steering hoses.

i dont see a problem with using them. in case you need it, i have the bracket that holds the hoses that mount to the top of the steering gearbox up for grabs.

tommys72 07-28-2015 02:54 PM

I don't see why not, my only concern is how they were stored . We're they in a damp basement? Or on a shelf in direct sunlight? Maybe dry rotted or weakened

leftybass209 07-28-2015 03:23 PM

I would not. Rubber materials do funny things when they sit, and it's impossible to see the condition of the inner hose diameter. Some leech substances, and others slowly dry out. Once subject to pressure, it's anyone's guess as to the integrity of the material.

I'm not saying it WILL go bad, I'm saying I don't have a clue for that specific application, and I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

chewychevy67 07-28-2015 03:26 PM

Has anyone out there had these hoses made by someone who can do a nice job replicating them? I don't want to find out the hard way either but don't want a pieced together hose either.

chewychevy67 07-28-2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael bustamante (Post 7256524)
i dont see a problem with using them. in case you need it, i have the bracket that holds the hoses that mount to the top of the steering gearbox up for grabs.

I do have the whole set up but thanks for the offer

cooperhw 07-28-2015 03:53 PM

I think they will be suspect as the rubber is oldddddddddddddddddddd. Like tire, they may look great on the outside, until you let the air out of them and they settle down and show the extreme tire (rubber) fatigue. Any shop that makes hoses should be able to take the new stuff and cut off the caps/hoses and install new rubber. Ask somebody local that has a backhoe or the equipment rental company.

chewychevy67 07-28-2015 04:08 PM

so how would you know how old would the ones on the shelf at your local parts depot are by the time they are purchased and installed? Do they have a date when they just huck them out?

In The Ten Ring 07-28-2015 05:00 PM

I plan to replace all my belts and hoses and they have only been sitting 20 years, not 40.

summitflier 07-28-2015 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring (Post 7256662)
I plan to replace all my belts and hoses and they have only been sitting 20 years, not 40.

No sense in letting them get old :lol:
Of course we don't need to mention how old mine were.

leddzepp 07-28-2015 06:06 PM

I'd use them, they haven't had any fluid run through them. I have the original AC hoses and power steering hose on my 72 and they do not leak.

MARKDTN 07-29-2015 07:30 AM

You could take them to a good hydraulic shop and have just the rubber hoses replaced if they leak. That way you have original not bent up tubes and new rubber.

chewychevy67 07-29-2015 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARKDTN (Post 7257185)
You could take them to a good hydraulic shop and have just the rubber hoses replaced if they leak. That way you have original not bent up tubes and new rubber.

I had my original hose ends cad plated and brought them to a local hose shop and they told me that can't be done because it's a oddball size hose. Are they feeding me cap or is this true?

MARKDTN 07-29-2015 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 7257222)
I had my original hose ends cad plated and brought them to a local hose shop and they told me that can't be done because it's a oddball size hose. Are they feeding me cap or is this true?

I have not had this exact thing done, but a good hose/hydraulic shop should be able to get any size hose that was made in 1967 and put it on. I would try a different shop.

57taskforce 07-29-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 7256717)
I'd use them, they haven't had any fluid run through them. I have the original AC hoses and power steering hose on my 72 and they do not leak.

+1 Id run them if they dont show signs of cracking/dry rot but thats just me.

dwcsr 07-29-2015 08:01 PM

Rock auto has them new. I've order them for earlier models with power assist using a 67 c10 cylinder and valve

special-K 07-29-2015 09:29 PM

I would run them. As mentioned, they haven't been exposed to PS fluids yet. That makes a big difference. I've seen such parts still be original to this day and still not rotted

mike16 07-29-2015 11:30 PM

No

too old

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-29-2015 11:36 PM

If interested, there's a member who makes correct reproductions. I bought a pair. They look right and are very nice.

Whether or not the NOS are still good may depend on exposure and climate. Personally, I'd probably buy new ones.

chewychevy67 07-29-2015 11:42 PM

If you have a link to new ones please post. These are not like the 69 72 hoses. There are 4 hoses in this system. I looked at rock auto us and only 1 looks correct by the photos. I will post pics of these hoses once they get to me .

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-30-2015 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 7258058)
If you have a link to new ones please post. These are not like the 69 72 hoses. There are 4 hoses in this system. I looked at rock auto us and only 1 looks correct by the photos. I will post pics of these hoses once they get to me .

Talk to this guy. He has a great reputation and doesn't mess around either. They were at my door step within 2 days. Now, they just sit in a box...............Ha!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545846

chewychevy67 07-30-2015 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Those are not the hoses I'm looking for. I actually asked him if he could make these but there is not enough interest for these. This is what I'm looking for.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-30-2015 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 7258102)
Those are not the hoses I'm looking for. I actually asked him if he could make these but there is not enough interest for these. This is what I'm looking for.

Couldn't tell ya. Check around your local shops. Maybe someone can make them for you.

Nice clean set-up BTW.

MARKDTN 07-30-2015 09:46 AM

After seeing it I am even more sure that somebody can change hoses on these. Perhaps try the Corvette guys, that use a similar ram-assist system. I might try Lonestar Caliper. You just need some correct diameter hose and correct crimps.

special-K 07-30-2015 09:57 AM

If you are doing an ultra-correct restoration then how much use will these hoses get? It sounds like you are the perfect candidate for these N.O.S. hoses. I see people pay big bucks for N.O.S. weatherstrip and gaskets. These have never been contaminated by oils and never had pressure on them. I seriously doubt they will start leaking if you put them on. I'd think even if they are compromised it would take a long time before they leak. Rubber is one thing that was better back then. Look at an original spare tire. I have a Montgomery Wards tire from back then I am about to ship to KS to a member to use as a spare. It has no checking what so ever. I have tires out there less than 10 years old that are cracked all up. For all I know, my '72 still has the original P/S hoses on it. I have only replaced a P/S hose on anything I've ever owned a couple times, if not only once, because it was leaking.