The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   How To Video, LSx Wiring Swap Harness, 99-02 Truck Harness: 4 Wire Hookup (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=450536)

mcbassin 08-09-2011 09:36 PM

Re: How To Video, LSx Wiring Swap Harness, 99-02 Truck Harness: 4 Wire Hookup

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyLarry (Post 4837054)
Somebody is going to be able to whittle this…
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...in/harness.jpg

To this? ..... I don't think so.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/...3c3ba49d_b.jpg

If you can spare another $500-$700 get a new harness. You won't regret it!

Thanks for the extra incentive Larry. I will do my best to emulate the pros at Howell. BTW I don't have a spare $50 let alone $500:)

matthew20061 08-10-2011 03:25 AM

Quote:

Negative. I send Howell Engine Development $500 and they build me a new harness with new wire, new terminals, new J1 and J2 connectors, new weather pack connectors, new relays, new split loom, ECM tuned to whatever requirements are, etc. And they do it all with new OEM Delphi components. The difference is the small custom harness suppliers like Howell take care in building the harnesses unlike the underpaid 13 year old kid in Mexico that built the production vehicle harness plus you don't need to clutter up your engine bay with the UBEC.

I work with new vehicles every day. These days hard part failures are pretty rare. Where the problems are always found is in the wiring where some lazy assembler at Delphi did a pizz poor crimp or splice. Factory wiring harnesses are terrible. The components are good….the assembly process is terrible.

There is no way a 10 year old – 200K harness looks and feels brand new after that many engine bay hot soaks. I am not buying that one. Heck, you can’t hardly pull a weather pack connector off of a 5 year old vehicle without breaking off the locking tang.

This is not to blow holes in Matt's work. They did a great job. I just would not use a factory take out harness if it were me. If you can spare another $500-$700 get a new harness. You won't regret it!

Yeah I see what your saying if you've got the cash for the nice harness by all means go for it! Its much easier and will look very clean and new. The harness I did in that video was pretty old but from an alaska truck and things are pretty wet and cold up here so the wires and connectors and everything seemed to me to be very usable but not perfect to say the least. :chevy:

Thealien 08-10-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 4836563)
Thanks Thealien! I think I have a sense of direction now. The only thing that stuck out to me so far; if we are using the stock LS A/C compressor will we need to keep any wires? for cycling the clutch? I am using a Vintage Air kit. Not sure if it has a sensor for low freon or what?

I am just now researching A/C information now. I am using a clutch fan and my truck never gets hot so I didn't need the fan wiring or AC fan request. I also just want to use my factory AC controls to turn on the compressor so I am hoping that I can do my AC without any PCM interface? There are a couple of good discussions going on now at LS1Tech regarding AC in the conversions and hybrid section.

With a top always off truck AC is not high on my priority list but I want to get it to work someday.....

stealthy '69 02-09-2012 11:07 PM

Subscribed, I'm looking into an LS swap myself and budget is a HUGE factor so buying a harness is out of the question. Your videos along with the links provided seem to be everything a moron like me needs to build a harness from the factory one. Thanks again.

Gordonr1973 02-19-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thealien (Post 4837703)
I am just now researching A/C information now. I am using a clutch fan and my truck never gets hot so I didn't need the fan wiring or AC fan request. I also just want to use my factory AC controls to turn on the compressor so I am hoping that I can do my AC without any PCM interface? There are a couple of good discussions going on now at LS1Tech regarding AC in the conversions and hybrid section.

With a top always off truck AC is not high on my priority list but I want to get it to work someday.....

Has there been any updates on getting the A/C to work properly in a LS swap?

I'm doing searches right now but not many current conversations are coming up...

Is there a sticky somewhere on A/C LS swapping?

BlackedOut67shorty 10-27-2012 03:06 AM

I liked the video alot, It really temps me to do an ls swap instead of just getting a roller motor.:metal: Nice swap:chevy:

Wasted Income 10-27-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

This is not to blow holes in Matt's work. They did a great job. I just would not use a factory take out harness if it were me. If you can spare another $500-$700 get a new harness. You won't regret it!

Actually, yes. However it takes a little more time and effort than just whipping out your credit card. It's really not difficult, and I've yet to have any problems with any of my swaps that have been done with rust belt harnesses.

71chevystep4x4 10-27-2012 01:45 PM

I figured he had got all of his information from LT1swap.com, which is where I got mine. The gentleman who created that site surely knows what he is doing, is easy to contact for any questions, and not to mention will re-flash your pcm for $75. As for me, I have a extremly tight budget I am working with, and cannot dish out $500 to $700 for a custom harness. Great videos man!!!! Nice to see someone on here helping out the broke diy's on here like myself.

OneOffStroker 10-27-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

I did. It took me about 2 days, but certainly not continuous. I did it in my off time between work, school, and family. If you have the will power to do well, you can take junkyard stuff and turn it around into useable awesomeness...while saving $500+ in the meantime.

If your budget allows a new/aftermarket harness, then go that route. Either way, just do what you have to in order to get more of these trucks back on the road.

High ho silverado 10-30-2012 01:13 PM

I did my own harness and even shortened it to go inside my cab using the factory harness and new pins, I gathered info from lt1swap.com and the videos that were on YouTube and glocks build, it didn't take me long and looks a lot like the ones I've seen for $5-700. I enjoyed it and learned quit a bit, it was well worth the effort and I didn't see a single problem with my 200k mile used harness. And jus a tip, don't buy the pins from gm, they are over 2.00 apiece and come from the same place I got mine for .20 cents apiece. I'll be doing a couple more in the future and am not a bit scared to use a stock harness.

As for the 12+ wires I made mine to use the stock fuse block from my 87 fuel injected harness and even the stock fuel pump relay, it worked out perfect and looks as stock as u can get. I'm using the aluminum r4 bracket to relocate my stock ac pump to the top rite hand side of the head and it looks like it came on the engine and uses the stock ac wiring and lines. The info is out there on the web and anyone with basic mechanic ability can do it with some patience and research.

Will be doing a build thread on here as soon as I'm done collecting my parts and start the swap. STAY TUNED.
Posted via Mobile Device

High ho silverado 10-30-2012 01:18 PM

Matthew, those videos are the reason I decided to tackle my own harness and now I'm glad I did, thanks for the great info.
Posted via Mobile Device

solidaxel 10-30-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High ho silverado (Post 5676353)
I did my own harness and even shortened it to go inside my cab using the factory harness and new pins, I gathered info from lt1swap.com and the videos that were on YouTube and glocks build, it didn't take me long and looks a lot like the ones I've seen for $5-700. I enjoyed it and learned quit a bit, it was well worth the effort and I didn't see a single problem with my 200k mile used harness. And jus a tip, don't buy the pins from gm, they are over 2.00 apiece and come from the same place I got mine for .20 cents apiece. I'll be doing a couple more in the future and am not a bit scared to use a stock harness.

As for the 12+ wires I made mine to use the stock fuse block from my 87 fuel injected harness and even the stock fuel pump relay, it worked out perfect and looks as stock as u can get. I'm using the aluminum r4 bracket to relocate my stock ac pump to the top rite hand side of the head and it looks like it came on the engine and uses the stock ac wiring and lines. The info is out there on the web and anyone with basic mechanic ability can do it with some patience and research.

Will be doing a build thread on here as soon as I'm done collecting my parts and start the swap. STAY TUNED.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tell me more about the r4 aluminum A/C bracket?

High ho silverado 10-31-2012 11:22 AM

There is a thread on here about using an s10 bracket, I'm using one from a full size truck and there is twice as much to cut off but I had a couple of them laying around so didn't bother me to cut one up to see how it works. I don't like the look of having a steel one and then aluminum on the other side, but here is the thread, read thru it and see what u think, plus in a 73 to 87 u can use the stock ac lines from the 90-91 full size blazer or burb to connect to your condensor and the factory wiring.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510656
Posted via Mobile Device

organgrinder 07-05-2013 04:02 PM

I've got an 03 5.3 and putting a 4L80E behind it. The harness I have came out of the 03 suburban I got the motor from that had a 4L60E. Is that gonna work or will I need to rewire something for the trans?
Posted via Mobile Device

68 Four on the Floor 07-06-2013 03:05 PM

Great job on the videos man. really helped me whittle down my harness

bnoon 09-22-2014 11:09 AM

Googled my 5.3 harness changes and wound up back on the good ol 67-72 site. Man I love this place.