The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Re-popped bedsides, who's the best maker (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=758369)

mr.chevy 03-03-2018 11:19 AM

Re-popped bedsides, who's the best maker

I'm looking for new bedsides for my 67. I'm tired of the endless body work from chopping and patching. I have a local guy that can get me dynacorn for 450 a side. Wondering if they are quality or not. If not then who? Shipping is killing it for me. Local with reduced shipping is nice, But I want quality. Any help is appreciated.

I should mention I have searched and I feel the info is several years old. It would be nice to know new info.

Thanks so much.

mr.chevy 03-03-2018 11:37 AM

Re: Re-popped bedsides, who's the best maker

I heard back from GMC Paul's and they said theirs are made by tri-plus. I bought rockers from them and they are thick and fantastic. Any thoughts?

Thanks

D.PASSMORE 03-03-2018 04:37 PM

Do a search on the this board, there is numerous discussions on this question.

Lanman1972 03-03-2018 05:32 PM

I have purchased 2 complete bed kits from GMCPauls and both have been great, except for the repop tailgate handle. I used the original handle on both.

mr.chevy 03-03-2018 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE (Post 8202343)

I'm petty sure I mentioned I already searched it and the info I found is several years old. Things change right?

mr.chevy 03-03-2018 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanman1972 (Post 8202365)
I have purchased 2 complete bed kits from GMCPauls and both have been great, except for the repop tailgate handle. I used the original handle on both.

Thank you so much. That's the info I'm looking for.

special-K 03-04-2018 08:48 AM

Unless something has changed, I believe all the bedsides are made by one manufacturer.

ericfallon 03-04-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE (Post 8202343)

He stated that everything he found was a few years old and asked if anyone had newer info. as parts get retooled, or tooling wears out.

But one could stay that everything for these trucks have been posted before.
So why even allow posting new threads by your thinking.
What you did is what is killing most forums.

(said in Jeremy Clarkson's voice )
The I'll offer nothing to the subject,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but tell him to ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,USE THE SEARCH!!!.

Kennuck 03-04-2018 10:48 AM

Mine were Woodall very good quality.

D.PASSMORE 03-04-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.chevy (Post 8202613)
I'm petty sure I mentioned I already searched it and the info I found is several years old. Things change right?

Ok - I'll play, I did a search for "aftermarket" on the truck message board. A bunch of threads, here is a some from 2017 that discuss Aftermarket sheet metal, even beds.

2017: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=aftermarket

Try different words in your search, you will find your answer.

D.PASSMORE 03-04-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericfallon (Post 8202761)
He stated that everything he found was a few years old and asked if anyone had newer info. as parts get retooled, or tooling wears out.

But one could stay that everything for these trucks have been posted before.
So why even allow posting new threads by your thinking.
What you did is what is killing most forums.

(said in Jeremy Clarkson's voice )
The I'll offer nothing to the subject,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but tell him to ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,USE THE SEARCH!!!.

Maybe it folks like you that people like me do not want to share there knowledge. Why don't you buy a subscription and help others out instead spewing some kind of forum correctness. I thought the thread was about aftermarket sheet metal, not a simple answer that I gave to the originator. You got a lot of anger man...

CC69Rat 03-04-2018 10:56 PM

Amd

James K 03-04-2018 11:09 PM

Just picked up some from parts geek. They are made by Goodmark. Just over a grad delivered. Quality seems good. Just finished shortening the bed floor tis weekend hoping to mount the bedsides up this next week as time allows.

mr.chevy 03-05-2018 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE (Post 8202879)
Ok - I'll play, I did a search for "aftermarket" on the truck message board. A bunch of threads, here is a some from 2017 that discuss Aftermarket sheet metal, even beds.

Try different words in your search, you will find your answer.

Listen brother I did searches. The newest thread I found was 2014. So I'm sorry if its a problem for you to help a brother out. I remember this site was always the best and everyone was kind and willing to help out. If this is the way it's going to be on here I'm probably not gonna bother coming here any more. I've been away for a few years and then I get this. Thanks.

As for everyone else thanks for your help.

Ironangel 03-05-2018 03:14 AM

Never heard of Dynacorn? Check out the board venders and see what they carry. Call LMC and this place, https://www.classicparts.com/ and compare the pricing. I learned the hard way that "Tri-Plus" is the best fitting panel. The problem is taking the time on the phone to verify the manufacturer and compare pricing. I live close enough to Kansas City that the cost of shipping large items is not an issue. https://www.classicparts.com/ has done me good in the past and they sell only Tri-Plus panels. Do your homework and compare pricing, if a vender is high, tell em, maybe they'll match their competition. Dont even bother with venders like Brothers, they think they're selling stamped gold. Do your homework and dont be afraid to give the price gougers an ear full. ~Ghostrider~ PS. "The perfect panel doesn't exist, a good body man makes em fit perfectly" ;)

darrellyates 03-05-2018 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.chevy (Post 8202168)
I'm looking for new bedsides for my 67. I'm tired of the endless body work from chopping and patching. I have a local guy that can get me dynacorn for 450 a side. Wondering if they are quality or not. If not then who? Shipping is killing it for me. Local with reduced shipping is nice, But I want quality. Any help is appreciated.

I should mention I have searched and I feel the info is several years old. It would be nice to know new info.

Thanks so much.

I used Goodmark. I got a complete bed. I am of the opinion (what the man asked for) that it was of pretty good quality. A little work on the rear corners to make the tailgate (also reproduction) line up properly. The bed sides were decently thick (originals were rusty). Of course, the bed sides had to be wiped and blocked. I also had to wipe and block the top rails too.

New metal doesn't mean no body work. I believe the reproduction stuff is of decent quality, and you don't have to worry about existing rust. I painted the inside of everything and am very content with the quality.

This is a subject of a great amount of discussion. I studied fender/hood and body gaps on a bunch of trucks. I also doubt there are multiple sets of tooling overseas producing parts (the tooling costs a BUNCH of money). I think either reproduction or original will work, you're just going to have to accept that body work will likely be required on either.

Depending on the condition of what you have, reproduction may cost less to fix than original. If you have the time and talent, work what you have. In my case, new bedsides were much, much less expensive.

Last point, there is a place in KC MO, AtoZ Sheetmetal that was running a $97 shipping special. I got a bunch of sheet metal for a Camaro, and the total shipping bill was like I said, $97 for truck freight. They have bed sides for our trucks as well.

mr.chevy 03-05-2018 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironangel (Post 8203612)
Never heard of Dynacorn? Check out the board venders and see what they carry. Call LMC and this place, https://www.classicparts.com/ and compare the pricing. I learned the hard way that "Tri-Plus" is the best fitting panel. The problem is taking the time on the phone to verify the manufacturer and compare pricing. I live close enough to Kansas City that the cost of shipping large items is not an issue. https://www.classicparts.com/ has done me good in the past and they sell only Tri-Plus panels. Do your homework and compare pricing, if a vender is high, tell em, maybe they'll match their competition. Dont even bother with venders like Brothers, they think they're selling stamped gold. Do your homework and dont be afraid to give the price gougers an ear full. ~Ghostrider~ PS. "The perfect panel doesn't exist, a good body man makes em fit perfectly" ;)

Thanks, I'm leaning toward tri plus. But then I'm wondering if I should just work with mine. The problem is I shortened them and its allot of work to do that. Plus the bad body work under the paint.

mr.chevy 03-05-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrellyates (Post 8203623)
I used Goodmark. I got a complete bed. I am of the opinion (what the man asked for) that it was of pretty good quality. A little work on the rear corners to make the tailgate (also reproduction) line up properly. The bed sides were decently thick (originals were rusty). Of course, the bed sides had to be wiped and blocked. I also had to wipe and block the top rails too.

New metal doesn't mean no body work. I believe the reproduction stuff is of decent quality, and you don't have to worry about existing rust. I painted the inside of everything and am very content with the quality.

This is a subject of a great amount of discussion. I studied fender/hood and body gaps on a bunch of trucks. I also doubt there are multiple sets of tooling overseas producing parts (the tooling costs a BUNCH of money). I think either reproduction or original will work, you're just going to have to accept that body work will likely be required on either.

Depending on the condition of what you have, reproduction may cost less to fix than original. If you have the time and talent, work what you have. In my case, new bedsides were much, much less expensive.

Last point, there is a place in KC MO, AtoZ Sheetmetal that was running a $97 shipping special. I got a bunch of sheet metal for a Camaro, and the total shipping bill was like I said, $97 for truck freight. They have bed sides for our trucks as well.

Thanks for the info. Ill check into that. I realize its all going to take work no matter what I do. It's just time and I'm nor as skilled as I should be.

54Caddy 03-07-2018 12:36 PM

Not bedside realated but recently ordered a steel cowl hood for a Nova. Ordered a goodmark one thinking it’d be there brand or better quality than others. Could’ve saved 80 if I would’ve ordered Tri-Plus. Opened the box and it had Tri-Plus stickers on the hood.

Grumpy old man 03-07-2018 01:03 PM

Check with your local body shop , They have the wholesale accounts to order replacement sheet metal and probably have access to the Auto Metal Direct panels ,You may find a deal along with free or low cost shipping .Avoid the middle man and their upcharge . :chevy:

Jeff's bowtie's 03-07-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Caddy (Post 8205595)
Not bedside realated but recently ordered a steel cowl hood for a Nova. Ordered a goodmark one thinking it’d be there brand or better quality than others. Could’ve saved 80 if I would’ve ordered Tri-Plus. Opened the box and it had Tri-Plus stickers on the hood.

Sounds like my story with the 68-72 step side rear fenders I bought they had all three manufacturers stickers on them Dynacorn, triplus and goodmark

67_C-30 03-11-2018 02:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used Tri-Plus on my '68, and the fit was perfect. I was shocked to be an aftermarket panel.

crakarjax 03-11-2018 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff's bowtie's (Post 8205674)
Sounds like my story with the 68-72 step side rear fenders I bought they had all three manufacturers stickers on them Dynacorn, triplus and goodmark

I wonder if the brands just pass on the parts that don't meet their tolerances to the next brand in line?

northern 85 03-11-2018 06:32 AM

I got mine for my 66 at lmc,very happy with the quality and free shipping!!!!

crakarjax 03-12-2018 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northern 85 (Post 8208807)

What brand do they distribute?

northern 85 03-12-2018 05:30 AM

Not sure of the name brand,sorry. Worth a call to find out, all the other companies wanted 700 dollars to ship.

shoveldug 03-12-2018 06:30 AM

Just got a set from GMC Paul's. Nice quality,good price,great people to deal with. I highly recommend them.

crakarjax 03-12-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northern 85 (Post 8209655)
Not sure of the name brand,sorry. Worth a call to find out, all the other companies wanted 700 dollars to ship.

No kidding, between shipping and no taxes I'm sold. Just wondering what to expect when I order from LMC!

Ken1972 03-12-2018 07:53 PM

I bought all the parts to make a complete bed from GMC Pauls, the bed went together effortlessly with only having to elongate a few bolt holes. The body lines were a little off, but I shimmed the cab up to match. All and all the bed parts all fit great.
BUT, the doors and fenders I bought from GMC Pauls were complete crap and didn't even come close to fitting, the right hand fender had the wrong contour to the point my grill would not fit around the contour. The fender is also 3/8" longer than a stock fender which makes it totally useless. One of my doors had the latch hole was too be and in the wrong location. The other door was 1/4" too wide and was warped. So both doors were totally useless.
ALSO: The radiator support had the headlight welded in the wrong locations, one was 1" off one way the other was over 1-1/2" off the other way. I had to cut them off and reweld them back on.
These vendors have to be aware the stuff they are selling won't fit. I'm not talking they may need some slight modifications, I'm talking totally useless. If someone could make decent sheet metal that fits, they could charge whatever they want, because people would pay extra for sheet metal that will work.
OK, I'm done venting

harpo231 03-12-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northern 85 (Post 8208807)

Same here !

CC69Rat 03-12-2018 09:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
AMD - Auto Metal Direct bedsides. Near NOS GM tailgate.

crakarjax 03-13-2018 11:58 AM

AMD is just a distributor of other manufacturer's metal though

Domingo 03-13-2018 05:50 PM

Im looking to purchasing a bed side for my swb 1969 c10 and the cheapest I can find is from partsgeek and is made by goodmark

Ken1972 03-13-2018 06:15 PM

As I stated above, my bed parts from GMC Pauls fit good, but all the other parts didn't even come close to fitting. The doors, front fenders, cab corners were all so far off they were useless.
I do recommend that wherever you do get your parts, have them stripped of the EDP coating and use a good brand of epoxy primer. after you fit check them first of course.
A friend of mine who owns a body shop has hundreds of useless body panels that are so far off, that even the body shop has rejected them. it's an absolute crime what these parts vendors are selling to us. Mabey there should be a forum subject of what parts to stay clear of, if enough of us stop buying these crappy parts, maybe they'll improve the quality of them.

crakarjax 03-13-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domingo (Post 8211016)
Im looking to purchasing a bed side for my swb 1969 c10 and the cheapest I can find is from partsgeek and is made by goodmark

What does 'standard quality' mean on their Goodmark parts? I see some say that and some don't -- the ones that do are cheaper. Does that mean they are defective like standard sheet metal or something?!

LMC is cheaper than partsgeek anyway when you count shipping cost.

CC69Rat 03-13-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crakarjax (Post 8210758)
AMD is just a distributor of other manufacturer's metal though

Not what the boxes said, nor the distributor (AMD) in Cleveland GA I picked them up from.

Regardless if they're made by Fisher Price, the quality, thickness, and overall fit was impressive. I'd buy from AMD again, no doubt. It's all about the quality control wherever you buy them from.

LockDoc 03-13-2018 07:20 PM

-
I just talked to my local parts supplier and he said that he has had good luck with bed sides from LMC and Classic Parts, both located in KC, MO. He indicated that they now both handle the same part. I ordered a pair of '67 short sides when I was talking to him.....

On another note he said that he has stopped handling repo doors and hoods because the quality control is so bad on them.

LockDoc