The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   back from Hiatus... :) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=797264)

pcmcobra 11-27-2019 10:52 PM

back from Hiatus... :)

4 Attachment(s)
Back with another project.
86 c10, gen 4 6.0/6l90
Just recently got truck and drive train. Looking to be just a fast truck to toy around in. Kids are older, I have some time to start another project.
Some of you might remember my white 86...
Anyway, I'm back and look forward to it.
Have the motor 90% torn down, then off to machine shop. Stock crank, (and maybe rods), forged pistons, cam, minor head work, all that stuff.
Trans is supposed to be good, we'll see. Contemplating lsa blower, if I can hide it from my wife.
This is not a short term project, might take AWHILE to get it on the road.
The whole truck is stock, all OG. In good shape, a couple spots on cab corners, but solid. Perfect for this project.

wixthedog 11-28-2019 04:02 AM

Re: back from Hiatus... :)

Looks like you are off to a great start, I look forward to seeing the progress.

Palf70Step 11-28-2019 09:23 AM

:agree: Looks like a very nice start. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

pcmcobra 12-22-2019 10:59 PM

bought the tejas motor/trans mount. Still waiting on cab bushing kit....going on 4 weeks.
other stuff purchased:
sending unit/fittings
holley 340 intank pump
control arm bushings
btr trunion upgrade
misc. other parts and tools
hopefully I can get the block to machine shop this week. But I doubt it, he's open til noon a couple days only this week :(
Still on the fence with the 6 speed. I change my mind 3 times a day.

rodstored-72 12-23-2019 12:16 PM

Cobra,
Sounds interesting, I envy the starting point!.... curious... what is "btr trunion upgrade"?
look forward to the updates when they come...

pcmcobra 12-23-2019 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodstored-72 (Post 8647674)
Cobra,
Sounds interesting, I envy the starting point!.... curious... what is "btr trunion upgrade"?
look forward to the updates when they come...

replaces stock rocker arms bearings...
just google ls rocker arm needle bearing failure.
This motor had some miles on it, using everything I can on rebuild.
Stock rocker arms with upgraded bearings really...nothing more. Cheaper than a new set of rocker arms, and el mucho better.
Cutting the rest of the exhaust out tomorrow, and getting the old tanks out and the tank switch assembly.
https://www.briantooleyracing.com/bt...kit-tk002.html

pcmcobra 12-23-2019 10:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
progress

STOCKISH 12-27-2019 03:25 PM

Looking forward to this one

Shifty One 12-27-2019 07:37 PM

In!

pcmcobra 01-27-2020 02:26 PM

a few things shakin' and movin'
Motor is done.
Line honed, torque plate, new bearings, polished the gen 4 crank, reused the rods, put the summit brand forged ls pistons in, .005 over w/ new rings.
Might pick it up tomorrow or sometime this week.
It will sit in the barn for awhile...Gotta decide on the trans, local guys want too much for a rebuild, can get a warrantied reman for more than $1k less online.
Started changing out cab bushing Saturday, and noticed 2 parts missing from my bushing kit that I waited over 6 weeks for, thanks usa1...
Might just put the bushings in and not tighten it down until I get the parts...
bolt up this gen 4 5.3 block I have laying around to the 6l90e and see how it fits with the tejas mounts/trans xmember...
Wanted to do that Sunday, but it was cold and rainy and no heater in the barn.
Still gotta get p/s pump/lines, water pump maybe a new tensioner pulley and a belt.
Once I get it set in there and see how it fits, I'll pull it out and do some frame painting up front. Then stick her back in, if she fits.
Already got a new tank/sender and holley 340 pump. Need to order the lines and fittings, not going with the vette setup, going to run a real fpr up front. (For future upgrades)
Then I will handle things with the ecm/harness and the other wiring.
Moving slowly, but moving.

Roaddogg 01-28-2020 11:51 PM

I have a 78 C10 and 6.2L. I have a 4l80e also but really wanting to shoehorn a 6l90e in there. Have you seen how it fits yet?

pcmcobra 01-29-2020 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roaddogg (Post 8668137)
I have a 78 C10 and 6.2L. I have a 4l80e also but really wanting to shoehorn a 6l90e in there. Have you seen how it fits yet?

nope. But I will by this weekend. I will post some pics...I might even do a youtube video so everyone will know if it fits. Good or bad.
If it does great. If not or too much work, I'll toss the 6l90e, and might make a youtube video for that too with the mood I am in.

erichevy 01-30-2020 01:36 PM

Great project. I'll follow along for inspiration :)

squaredaway 01-30-2020 07:04 PM

Glad to see you back. Some more 6.0 POWAH...

pcmcobra 01-30-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squaredaway (Post 8669194)
Glad to see you back. Some more 6.0 POWAH...

Hell ya brother

pcmcobra 01-30-2020 07:32 PM

Got motor back from machine shop today. Looks good.
Put it on a stand, put the new clamshell mounts on.
Tomorrow after work, I'll get that 5.3 block and bolt the trans to it, get the tejas mounts on the block and shove her in. I do have tejas trans mount also, I'll throw that on too.
Sure hope it all fits.

pcmcobra 01-31-2020 08:57 PM

Got it mocked up tonight. It fits, it's pretty tight. Hit up the ls swapped 73-87 group on fb to see pics. https://www.facebook.com/groups/267895843406925/

pcmcobra 02-03-2020 10:19 PM

Got the engine/trans in, bolted the SE c10 ls swap 1-7/8 long tubes up.
They fit and don't hit. Going to run v bands...

Hammered 77 02-04-2020 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcmcobra (Post 8670383)
Got it mocked up tonight. It fits, it's pretty tight. Hit up the ls swapped 73-87 group on fb to see pics. https://www.facebook.com/groups/267895843406925/

I've tried joining this group 5 times now with no success. It'll say pending but I never get to join. Oh well.

pcmcobra 02-04-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammered 77 (Post 8672254)
I've tried joining this group 5 times now with no success. It'll say pending but I never get to join. Oh well.

get in contact with scotti baccus on fb, he is a member here, and he will get you fixed up.

pcmcobra 02-08-2020 07:37 PM

Got the front suspension off. Deciding on what to do, refurbish stock or go with something else...? I still can't find that header bolt I dropped....:(
next, going to remove the old steering parts up front. Clean it up, and prep it for some chassis paint from the cab mounts forward. Guess I'll clean up these inner fenderwells and core support and throw some paint on them too.
I did order fuel system parts, line, fpr, fittings, filters and some other odds and ends. I'll get the new front steering parts when the painting is done in the engine bay.

moregrip 02-08-2020 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcmcobra (Post 8674975)
Got the front suspension off. Deciding on what to do, refurbish stock or go with something else...? I still can't find that header bolt I dropped....:(
next, going to remove the old steering parts up front. Clean it up, and prep it for some chassis paint from the cab mounts forward. Guess I'll clean up these inner fenderwells and core support and throw some paint on them too.
I did order fuel system parts, line, fpr, fittings, filters and some other odds and ends. I'll get the new front steering parts when the painting is done in the engine bay.

I plan on using a mostly stock parts lowering mine, belltech 4/6 kit with porterbuilt 1" forward lower control arms.

pcmcobra 02-08-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moregrip (Post 8675012)
I plan on using a mostly stock parts lowering mine, belltech 4/6 kit with porterbuilt 1" forward lower control arms.

I'm leaning towards just refurbish, save me a bunch of $.

moregrip 02-08-2020 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcmcobra (Post 8675032)
I'm leaning towards just refurbish, save me a bunch of $.

thats for sure! a nice refurb stock suspension looks :metal:

pcmcobra 03-05-2020 06:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got the frame cleaned up and painted cab forward. Control arms should be done tomorrow, or early next week.
Ordered the trans today and circle d converter.
Have a week off week after next, hope to get the front suspension back in, and the engine/trans mounted up for good.
Tons of little things, but if you ever did a swap, you know the deal.