The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   EFI or CARB (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=411921)

hopelessredneck 07-14-2010 04:51 PM

EFI or CARB

So im in the middle of planning a rebuild on my 454 for my 1978 GMC C25 and am at a crossroads on weather to keep it carborated and add a edelbrock RPM airgap or switch over to efi with an edelbrock kit im working with a 1980's 2bolt main block and stock heads but plan to upgrade heads at a later date:canada::gmc2:

Low87 07-14-2010 05:51 PM

Re: EFI or CARB

Efi ftw

68GMCCustom 07-14-2010 06:57 PM

for a driver where mileage and a solid running motor w/o hiccups is more important then power....efi.

PushnFords 07-14-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom (Post 4089255)
for a driver where mileage and a solid running motor w/o hiccups is more important then power....efi.

+1 except depending on the carb and efi setup the power could be more with either one.

RandyP 07-14-2010 08:14 PM

EFI and never look back.

68GMCCustom 07-14-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PushnFords (Post 4089292)
+1 except depending on the carb and efi setup the power could be more with either one.

well most tests show more "peak" power with a carb up high... and in many cases down low...where as the efi is better in the midrange, where a street engine lives.

rfmaster 07-15-2010 01:17 AM

EFI - it will take a bit of planing and work, but you will never look back.

//RF

SBTork 07-15-2010 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfmaster (Post 4089874)
EFI - it will take a bit of planing and work, but you will never look back.

//RF

True, and well worth the time!

D.FENS 07-15-2010 06:49 AM

The Edelbrock TBI - to - MPFI kit seems to work fairly well, but isn't very tolerant of big cams and heads (sort of like stock TBI). Haven't heard much about the Holley Pro-jection kits.

Megasquirt is more work up front, but is more tuneable, and being Windows - based, is a lot more user-friendly for most.

BigBlocksRule 07-15-2010 08:13 AM

It depends on what you want to do with the truck.
EFI can work great - IF it's tuned correctly. Same can be said for a carb.
Check out the price difference with tuning time included, then decide if it's worth it. How much the truck will be driven would determine it for me.

glock35ipsc 07-15-2010 11:32 AM

Efi!!

willett 07-15-2010 01:01 PM

cARB!

BRAAAAP

GmtGmt 07-15-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule (Post 4090051)
It depends on what you want to do with the truck.
EFI can work great - IF it's tuned correctly. Same can be said for a carb.
Check out the price difference with tuning time included, then decide if it's worth it. How much the truck will be driven would determine it for me.

x2
i personaly love carbs but i dont mind EFI on a DD but again its down to if you have the money and dont care the price or if you want to save alot of $$$ in the years to come its a personal couise i think i have heard a EFI 454 only goes 15MPG tops on highway and maby 8-10 in town idk what a Carb does

swb85 07-15-2010 04:47 PM

Coming from a guy who owns and tunes both:

If you're going to keep it relatively stock and/or plan all of the engine modifications at one time, then I'd go EFI. If you're going for a little more wild combo and/or plan to add modifications to the motor slowly over time as budget allows, then I'd go carb. Obviously carb will be significantly less costly.

Every single change you make to an EFI motor requires changes in the tune. If you've got the software/knowledge to do this yourself then it's no big deal, but many people do not. Almost everybody can change jets in a carb and twist a distributor.:lol:

There's new "self tuning" EFI solutions on the market now, although I have no direct experience with those so I can't do more than speculate.......I do have extensive late-model EFI experience, and a simple MAF based system with wideband o2 feedback *should* work just fine without much user input on mild-ish motors. But you gotta pay to play!

355bullet 07-15-2010 04:54 PM

here are some links.
cant go wrong here.
im going with stock efi once i have to replace my motor (w/stock 350)

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/

Im hearing positive stuff from fast

EZ-EFI® from FAST™
http://www.fuelairspark.com/ezefi/default.asp

piecesparts 07-15-2010 05:15 PM

I have been considering the EZ EFI for my 383 stroker setup. I am just considering what would be the best way to connect the tanks with the fuel pump. I get 15 MPG with the carb, but the EFI should make that more efficient, not to mention a larger power band capability.

rfmaster 07-15-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swb85 (Post 4090645)
Coming from a guy who owns and tunes both:

If you're going to keep it relatively stock and/or plan all of the engine modifications at one time, then I'd go EFI. If you're going for a little more wild combo and/or plan to add modifications to the motor slowly over time as budget allows, then I'd go carb. Obviously carb will be significantly less costly.

Every single change you make to an EFI motor requires changes in the tune. If you've got the software/knowledge to do this yourself then it's no big deal, but many people do not. Almost everybody can change jets in a carb and twist a distributor.:lol:

There's new "self tuning" EFI solutions on the market now, although I have no direct experience with those so I can't do more than speculate.......I do have extensive late-model EFI experience, and a simple MAF based system with wideband o2 feedback *should* work just fine without much user input on mild-ish motors. But you gotta pay to play!

MAF = Mass Air Flow
You mean MAP (Speed density) used on in early EFI systems. MAF sensors can temperamental and GM had hard time keeping early TPI cars running well. They ditched MAF sensor and switched to MAP (in F-Body) until MAF sensor technology matured to be robust enough.

A stock BBC TB, with dynamic fuel pressure modification (VAFPR) and optimized ECM (EBL) tuning can provide enough air flow (about 640 CFM) and fuel (a pair of 80 or 90 lb-Hr injectors at 20+ PSI) to support up to about 360 to 370 HP. The problem with most stock BBC is that these engines were choked with tiny cams, puny heads and restricted exhaust systems from the factory.

Like previous posters have stated - there is a learning curve associated with EFI tuning. But there is also a real world performance win since ECM tuning allows greater flexibility under a wide range of conditions. Also, camshaft and head selection is critical and careful consideration to an engine - drive line combination should be given before starting this project.

It all depends what you plan do with your rig.....

//RF

Davidmichael 07-15-2010 08:11 PM

I just got my first EFI square, and it's EFI all the way for me.