The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

99 to Life 02-17-2015 12:50 PM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

nice work, digging the trans tunnel. I'm more of a square tunnel fan in most builds. allows more utilization and most time I just like how they look.

youngrodder 02-17-2015 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alaska gasser (Post 7052334)
Looking good. I dug all the lead out of my '52 panel due to rust under it. I sandblasted and filled it back in with fiberglass kitty hair and it held up great.

Eugene

I will probably sandblast the welds then treat them with some black rust guard prior to using kitty hair.

Marc

youngrodder 02-17-2015 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 7052814)
nice work, digging the trans tunnel. I'm more of a square tunnel fan in most builds. allows more utilization and most time I just like how they look.

Thanks, I'm getting anxious to get the seat riser welded back in and getting the trans tunnel welded in so that I can get the front floor are all buttoned up.

Marc

lower50's 05-27-2015 09:32 PM

Love your green truck. The Burb is lookin good and will be awesome.

Sim6 05-27-2015 10:18 PM

Marc, great work.

youngrodder 05-27-2015 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7188318)
Love your green truck. The Burb is lookin good and will be awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sim6 (Post 7188413)
Marc, great work.

Thanks guys.. I should have some progress to report soon. Porterbuilt is getting close on the drop member that they are building for me. I also made a few changes to my 48 so that has eaten into my garage time. The weather has been nice as of late so I have been enjoying driving the 48.

Marc

oldman3 05-27-2015 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7188475)
Thanks guys.. I should have some progress to report soon. Porterbuilt is getting close on the drop member that they are building for me. I also made a few changes to my 48 so that has eaten into my garage time. The weather has been nice as of late so I have been enjoying driving the 48.

Marc

So don't keep us guessing, what did you do to the 48, looked perfect to me...Jim

youngrodder 05-28-2015 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 7188548)
So don't keep us guessing, what did you do to the 48, looked perfect to me...Jim

Well Jim, It started with a leaking freeze plug in the front of the block. Once I changed that, it snowballed into a couple other changes. Some changes are more visible than others. Here's a run down.
1 - Upgraded to a new bigger radiator. Needed to create room to fit.
2 - Painted a lot of my billet Street and Performance pulleys and brackets. Billet was too hard to keep polished. Black is the new chrome.
3 - Changed the collectors on my exhaust system and added some SS flex joints.
4 - Re-welded one of the mounts for my tail pipe that cracked (see item 3 above)

You know how it is, after putting miles on them you decided to fix/change some stuff.

I will take a couple pics of engine bay to give you an idea.

Thanks
Marc

oldman3 05-28-2015 02:16 PM

I know what you mean, did you go aluminum with rad...Jim

youngrodder 05-28-2015 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 7189197)
I know what you mean, did you go aluminum with rad...Jim

Yes, but a 4 core. Because of the location of my steering box, I have a radiator that is 4" shorter than a stock radiator. I have never been pleased with the way my previous 3 core radiator cooled. Some of that might have to do with slug that was in my engine from sitting all of those years. I learned after my initial start up that Dexcool when mixed with air turns to a slug. I flushed the block and radiator a crap load of times. I think maybe my old radiator was partially plugged so I figured what the heck lets upgrade to a new 4 core while I'm at it. needless to say I have no cooling issues.

My truck never overheated it just ran hotter than I was comfortable but well within spec for the motor.

Marc

lower50's 05-28-2015 03:41 PM

Sounds like some good upgrades!! They all need some TLC from time to time.

Advanced Design 05-28-2015 05:20 PM

Nice upgrades on the 48. Looking forward to seeing them....no rush getting back on the Burb. :)

youngrodder 05-30-2015 10:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7189394)
Nice upgrades on the 48. Looking forward to seeing them....no rush getting back on the Burb. :)

Hey that's my line...ha ha

Here are a couple pics.

I included a pic of the shrink band that I used. If you have never used these they work great and look clean. I basically changed out the motor components and ss radiator hoses to black and had to notch the radiator panel to make room for the radiator.

Thanks
Marc

Iceburgh 05-30-2015 11:53 PM

That truck is just bad ass

youngrodder 05-31-2015 12:08 AM

Thanks man....

Advanced Design 05-31-2015 09:10 AM

Really incredible! Have looked at those bands before and never seen them installed. Were you happy with how they worked out so far?

youngrodder 05-31-2015 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7192396)
Really incredible! Have looked at those bands before and never seen them installed. Were you happy with how they worked out so far?

Yes, I was skeptical because I always seemed to chase coolant leaks but from day one these sealed up tight. They are more $$ than clamps but sometime its the details that are the difference. I plan to use them on all my builds.

Marc

CHIZZLER 05-31-2015 10:31 PM

Very clean marc. Looks great.

IWanna49 06-11-2015 10:20 PM

Marc! Saw your spread in Street Trucks....absolutely gorgeous!!!

youngrodder 06-16-2015 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWanna49 (Post 7206756)
Marc! Saw your spread in Street Trucks....absolutely gorgeous!!!

Thanks man...I'm pretty stoked about it.

Marc

IWanna49 06-16-2015 10:04 PM

If they gave you digital copies, I'd love one of the straight on shots for wallpaper!!!:metal::metal::metal:

youngrodder 06-18-2015 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IWanna49 (Post 7212286)
If they gave you digital copies, I'd love one of the straight on shots for wallpaper!!!:metal::metal::metal:

I need to play around and resize the image as the files I have are hi-res. Let me see what I can do

Marc

youngrodder 07-28-2015 10:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Due to an expected/unexpected job change I have not been spending anytime on the burb. I did get out there tonight and I plan on working on it more and more now that I'm a couple weeks into a new job. Porterbuilt is close on the AD kits. Here are a few pics that they have shared on Instagram. A few of that changes are now the front and rear will be a bolt in unit. The rear rails flow like the stock rails. I was told they just need to fab the front radiator support and there done. In the meantime I will get my frame blasted in anticipation.

Marc

Advanced Design 07-29-2015 10:24 AM

Very nice parts. Looking forward to seeing them on your chassis!

youngrodder 08-29-2015 09:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well I spent a good portion of last Sunday in the garage as well as today. I was able the get the floor out. The problem that I ran into was the rusted carriage bolts that held the wood in around the perimeter. The nuts were rusted and the bolts simply spun. I ended up spot welding each one so that they would not spin. I also removed the rear sill. I was not certain how this was to come out after snapping the heads off of about 12 bolts and cutting a few spot welds I was able to easy it out. I needed to remove it to properly replace the rear driver side cab corner. Here are some pics to prove it.