The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Can I fix this myself (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=735001)

el_fantasma 04-09-2017 02:19 AM

Can I fix this myself

1 Attachment(s)
Can I fix this area above my wheel well with just touch paint or do I need to use bondo, primer, paint and then clear coat. Maybe a kit like this http://www.paintscratch.com/neworder...ray-Paint-Kit/

My SPID calls the color 152110 White but online it appears to be called White 521 (1972).

Any suggestions are appreciated.

bs46488 04-10-2017 03:52 PM

Re: Can I fix this myself

I'm not an expert, but I'll answer both yes and no.

Yes - you could touch it up with touch up paint, but it's will not fill in that large of a chip.

No - that area would need a little body work to fix seamlessly. The picture looks like the paint is cracked to the right, so that fix might start to become a 2"x5" repair area once you start to remove all the damaged area.

MARTINSR 04-29-2017 03:49 PM

It looks like it's much worse than the photo is implying. The dent is going in causing an "eye brow" or "crown" up above or at least right on the body line.

To repair it properly, oh yeah, pulling the dent with a stud gun. And then bondo work, primer and paint. The area would be much larger than that chipped paint and thus painting the whole fender or quarter would be the correct repair.

Let's step back a bit and look at options.

1. The mark that goes horizontal there looks like a "transfer" that would wipe off with lacquer thinner and or some polishing compound. I clean stuff like that off with lacquer thinner at work all the time.

Then brush touch the chip, with a brush.

This would be a "patch" that may or may not turn out looking "ok" for a driver or non-show truck. It's the kinda repair I have all over my daily driver Rambler.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...psbz9suxsj.jpg

The car is COVERED with patches like that, to the average person they think and will often call it "restored." It's not even close! But for a daily driver, it's all good.

You could make this "patch" repair and then decide down the road to repair it properly but there is a big difference in the tools needed and the skills.

If you decide to repair it properly we will have to go through a lot of steps here on the forum. It's not impossible by any means, you could do it. But it's a jump up from where you are talking, spotting it, not likely, you WILL see the blend badly unless you have some mad skills and experience, it is NOT easy to do an "open blend" (not buried under a full clear coat) for an experienced painter (I see it WAY too much, horrible open blends by pros) so don't beat yourself up if you give it a try and it doesn't look very good.

I can't make myself clear enough, a "patch" will be miles from perfect, as would doing a "repair" and open blend, but with a LOT less work. :D

Doing it properly with a full blend and clear of the whole panel is a whole different level of tools and skills.

You have a decision to make. :D

Brian:mm:

el_fantasma 04-30-2017 12:14 AM

Brian,
Thanks for your detailed response. So far I've done the two easy things, removed the marks with rubbing compound and covered the spot with a brush. I'd really like to do it right myself but recognize there's a learning curve amd some investment in some equipment. Got to get the correct color paint first, hopefully the body shop will come around.

Thanks again,
Rob

faribran 06-08-2017 09:13 AM

Brian, I like your "car covered in patches". Thanks for sharing.
Very good advice, and in lay mans terms.
I've seen some of your other work. You sir are talented

MARTINSR 06-08-2017 10:02 AM

Thanks for the kind words. :D

Brian

70STOVEBOLT 06-14-2017 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brian, what about this one?

el_fantasma 09-14-2017 12:57 AM

Brian
Great advice. Just a follow up, Rodz body shop painted the entire quarter panel for$780. What a deal and nice work

BR3W CITY 09-14-2017 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT (Post 7967504)
Brian, what about this one?

Fwiw, when it comes to things like door and fender gaps (any panel edge-edge gap) on this older sheetmetal; steel rod can be welded and sculpted on a panel edge to extend it or profile it. Gives you more steel to work with and works well for panels that are not able to be adjusted in a manner that takes that fit up).

70STOVEBOLT 09-14-2017 06:19 PM

It's not so much of a panel gap issue as it is a dent. It will have to be pulled out somehow. I bought a stud welder but I am not sure it's the best way to pull the dent out for me, as I have never used one before.

projectking 09-14-2017 08:56 PM

Buy a multiple stud puller for your slide hammer

70STOVEBOLT 09-14-2017 09:31 PM

I will look into that, thanks for the tip!