The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear view mirror glue blues (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=768644)

ZEKE68 08-01-2018 05:52 PM

Rear view mirror glue blues

Anyone have any good suggestions for gluing on a rear view mirror to the windshield? I tried Permatex and 3M kits and the mirror came off three times when I tried to tighten the screw. The last try with 3M I waited three days before trying to mount the mirror. Still came off. Is it the high humidity here?

truckster 08-01-2018 06:08 PM

Re: Rear view mirror glue blues

Stop by a local glass shop. They'll often do it for free.

I've done auto glass for years. The kits you buy in auto parts stores just don't work well.

Andy4639 08-01-2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 8313665)
Stop by a local glass shop. They'll often do it for free.

I've done auto glass for years. The kits you buy in auto parts stores just don't work well.

Agree I changed mine out to a compass/temp mirror and tried the store glue non worked. Asked a installer one day in a parking lot do another install and he installed it for me in about 5 minutes.:chevy:

RustyBucket 08-01-2018 07:29 PM

I dunno Zeke, I'm a Space Coast resident too and I re-glued the mirror in the Blazer one time about 4yrs ago. I used the auto parts store kit(maybe 3M?) and it's still hanging there. Don't remember what time of the year that was... it is a little less humid 'round here in the winter. I'm near Titusville.

truckster 08-01-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyBucket (Post 8313718)
I dunno Zeke, I'm a Space Coast resident too and I re-glued the mirror in the Blazer one time about 4yrs ago. I used the auto parts store kit(maybe 3M?) and it's still hanging there. Don't remember what time of the year that was... it is a little less humid 'round here in the winter. I'm near Titusville.

I live in a desert. Humidity doesn't have much effect on it. The professional stuff is just better.

ZEKE68 08-01-2018 08:24 PM

I have used the glue kits quite a few times in the past and didn't have this kind of problem. Just wondering if it is the rainy weather, or if they have changed the glue. Yea RustyBucket, I just haven't been to Dogs R Us lately because I have been working on the truck for almost a year now.

jocko 08-01-2018 08:24 PM

Important to clean the windshield where you're sticking it with something like rubbing alcohol. I've never had one fall off after I glued it on, even though I've expected it to...

ZEKE68 08-01-2018 08:28 PM

Did all that. Tried rubbing alcohol, and tried brake cleaner once. I have done this before. Wondering if I have defective glass!

jocko 08-01-2018 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEKE68 (Post 8313776)
Did all that. Tried rubbing alcohol, and tried brake cleaner once. I have done this before. Wondering if I have defective glass!

Well, phooey. Maybe time for a glass shop, they GOTTA have some stuff that will work. I doubt it's your glass though.

69Chummins 08-01-2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEKE68 (Post 8313776)

Hey Zeke68. Do you still have the original arm that screwed into to the body above the windshield...the one that came with the truck originally? Do you still have the hole above the windshield?

I installed a Gentex mirror a couple a months ago and modified the original arm by grinding and bending the throat area where the arm and bracket meet to allow it to follow the rake of the glass.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1504191890

Then welding the new wedge mirror bracket onto this tab that i cut off near the ball.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1504191890

The wedge bracket is cast but it sticks good enough.

If you don't have the original arm maybe make a simple rod and plate arm and screw it in above the windshield?

I stole these pics from "bill3rail" since I didn't take any. I wished I had my truck now to show you better but it's in the shop.

ZEKE68 08-01-2018 09:44 PM

Yes I do. That looks like a good Idea to fall back on if I never get a stick. I am installing a Gentex mirror with compass and temp, and I put a fold down sunglass case where the old mirror mounted to the roof.

Merican68C10 08-02-2018 12:19 AM

Hey there. A little trick I learned a long time ago when hanging video cameras & radar heads in squad cars:

Take the mirror button over to a belt sander and put the side that’s going to stick to glass on belt, move it in a circle fashion with your hand while belt is spinning. Only needs a couple passes. *BE CAREFUL

Let button cool down/should have circle etching on face.

Prep windshield with a wax/oil remover.

Hold mirror assembly up to desired location & mark on outside of glass with a black marker.

Apply two small drops of Permatex brand from AutoZone to mirror button & press against glass where you marked earlier for approx 2-3mins.

Clean off marker on outside of glass.

Hang mirror about 24hrs after.

I’ve literally done hundreds upon hundreds of these like this over last 13yrs, I can count on one hand how many have failed. Hope this helps!

ZEKE68 08-02-2018 07:45 AM

I cleaned the face of the puck with a mill file, and scotchbrite. Then roughed it up on the concrete. The glue comes off with the puck every time. I have to scrape it off the puck with a razor blade. Its not sticking to the glass, which I cleaned and degreased before hand.

69Chummins 08-02-2018 01:22 PM

I read somewhere that the glue has a shelf life so if you bought it from a slow moving parts store, it may be past due.

Another option is to go to the auto glass shop and let them deal with it. They probably have the super commercial glue that the consumers can't get.

'68OrangeSunshine 08-02-2018 05:51 PM

[quote=69Chummins;8313835]Hey Zeke68. Do you still have the original arm that screwed into to the body above the windshield...the one that came with the truck originally? =unquote]

I had a '72 MY windshield in my '67 K/10 Suburban. The glued-on clip stayed on, but the mirror vibrated badly -- enough to make it unreadable at freeway speeds. I was lucky to have a '60-'68 style fixed mirror mount amongst my hoarded parts. Screwed that on, and I was good to go.