The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Voltmeter intall question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=732984)

Jstock85 03-16-2017 11:51 PM

Voltmeter intall question

Im replacing a gauge cluster in my 85 c10. the truck had a voltmeter but was not hooked up. grounding location is not a problem, the 12v switch power is my problem. the truck is a wire mess from previous owner. there is not a radio in the truck and the cig lighter is constant hot. not exactly sure if the cig lighter should be constant hot either... any suggestion for a 12v switch source?

Thanks
Jeff

ray_mcavoy 03-17-2017 03:34 PM

Re: Voltmeter intall question

Hi Jeff,

The factory gauge cluster uses pin #3 for ground and pin #4 for power to the voltmeter. The wire colors are black (ground) and pink with a black stripe (ignition switched power).

There should also be ignition switched power (pink w/black stripe) wires going to pins #6 and #16 that power the various other gauges & some indicator lights. The factory wiring has these two wires (along with the one from pin #4) all leading back to a common splice inside the harness. So if that wire that originally went to #4 is missing you can simply splice a new one to either of the other pink w/black stripe wires.

It is normal for the cig lighter to have power all the time.

Jstock85 03-17-2017 08:25 PM

I will definitely do that this evening. Thanks for the info! Also how do you recommend wiring the illumination for this set of gauges? It is a standard 3 row set of gauges that mounts at the bottom of the dash. Temp, oil pressure, and volts.

Thanks
Jeff

ray_mcavoy 03-18-2017 06:11 PM

Okay, I was thinking you were dealing with the voltmeter in a stock gauge cluster. But tapping into one of those pink wires with the black stripe will still work for any voltmeter. Another alternative (that might be easier to reach) would be to plug the voltmeter into the "IGN" receptacle on the fuse box.

For the gauge illumination, you can also tie into the factory wire for the cluster illumination circuit. That should be a gray wire going to the factory cluster. And there will also be a branch of that circuit (also a gray wire) going to the bulb that illuminates the heater control panel. I believe there is also a "LPS" or "PANEL LPS" receptacle on the fuse box you could plug into as well.

no8086 03-20-2017 09:07 AM

cluster picMine had a stock ameter, which i hated. I jumped a voltmeter off the temp guage. works well

Jstock85 03-26-2017 09:57 AM

Thanks Ray! found those wires and got everything working!!