The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Starter Solenoid Wiring Help!!! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=533797)

Fords72ChevyC10 07-14-2012 01:33 PM

Starter Solenoid Wiring Help!!!
 
Ok, this is what I'm working with.

72 Chevy C10 with an 80s 350 (center bolt valve covers). I replaced the chopped up wiring harness with the one available from Painless. I have everything wired up but the starter does not engage.

The PO converted to an HEI ignition system and the starter solenoid has 3 terminals; battery terminal, R terminal and the S terminal. Originally I connected the pink wire to the HEI, the purple wire to the S terminal, and the red wire to the battery terminal as per my understanding of the instructions.

But the starter did not engage and it did not seem correct that nothing would be connected to the R terminal.

So here is what I am thinking should be done, the pink wire needs to be connected to the R terminal with a wire spliced into it that runs up to the HEI. Is my thinking correct?

If not what is the problem with the original set up that it did not work?

My understanding is that even if the HEI system is not getting power the starter should turn over but its not.

Thanks for the help.

Fords72ChevyC10 07-14-2012 01:39 PM

Re: Starter Solenoid Wiring Help!!!
 
And if anyone is interested and lives in the hi-desert region of California and willing to travel to FT Irwin to help a guy rewire his truck, that would be helpful.

Fords72ChevyC10 07-14-2012 01:51 PM

Re: Starter Solenoid Wiring Help!!!
 
I also used a bypass wire to connect the neutral safety switch until I can find it.

fixit-p 07-14-2012 02:46 PM

Re: Starter Solenoid Wiring Help!!!
 
Purple wire to the S terminal is all you need (besides power and ground from battery). The HEI does not need to connect to the starter, verify that you have power to the S terminal with key in start position, if you have a multimeter you can also do a voltage drop test on the battery cables.

Fords72ChevyC10 07-14-2012 09:04 PM

Re: Starter Solenoid Wiring Help!!!
 
That is how I originally had it set up but the starter would not engage and turn the engine over. I am lost as what to do next.

fleetsidelarry 07-14-2012 09:22 PM

Re: Starter Solenoid Wiring Help!!!
 
did you remember the short jumper wire that goes from the s terminal on the OEM solenoid to the batt terminal?

fleetsidelarry 07-14-2012 10:50 PM

Re: Starter Solenoid Wiring Help!!!
 
sorry, disregard, for some reason I was thinking you had a remote solenoid. are you certain the purple wire gets current when the switch is turned to start?

Fords72ChevyC10 07-15-2012 12:19 AM

Re: Starter Solenoid Wiring Help!!!
 
No, I am not positive. That is something I need to check.

If it is not getting power what would cause this?

FLEET72 07-15-2012 03:45 AM

Re: Starter Solenoid Wiring Help!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fords72ChevyC10 (Post 5486644)
No, I am not positive. That is something I need to check.

If it is not getting power what would cause this?

Starting from the source, ignition switch. Red is the 12V supply and purple is where you should find 12V when the key is in the start position. If there is no power there, bad connection or bad switch.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-J...ign%2520sw.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fords72ChevyC10 (Post 5485724)
I also used a bypass wire to connect the neutral safety switch until I can find it.

I see you had this covered If you have an automatic, make sure the neutral safety switch is in park or neutral. Confirm this with 12V on both terminals.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Q...ev%2520lmp.jpg

Then on to the bulkhead connector. Make sure that neither wire has been pushed out or loosened. And then finally to the starter solenoid.

fleetsidelarry 07-15-2012 08:32 AM

Re: Starter Solenoid Wiring Help!!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fords72ChevyC10 (Post 5485724)
I also used a bypass wire to connect the neutral safety switch until I can find it.

this bypass wire runs from where to where? (I'm assuming the "IT" in your post above is the non-start problem, not the NS switch)

I'm not understanding what you would have bypassed.

VetteVet 07-15-2012 10:17 AM

Re: Starter Solenoid Wiring Help!!!
 
4 Attachment(s)
Here's the neutral start switch on top of the blue steering column. The purple wires come from the key switch and go to the starter solenoid. If you pull the plug off the NSS and jump the two purple wires then you are by passing the neutral start switch. The truck will start in gear so be careful.

Attachment 956534

This is the starter wiring circuit.

Attachment 956535

To isolate the starter from the purple wire, I take the purple wire off the S terminal and jump across the solenoid between the battery cable terminal and the S terminal. I use an old screwdriver or wrench because it will arc. leave the nut on the S terminal to avoid messing up the threads.
If the starter turns then the problem is in the key switch to the S terminal wiring. If it doesn't then it's in the starter. Make sure the truck is in Park so it won't move and leave the key off so it won't start. The plate in this picture is for a remote solenoid so disregard it.

Attachment 956536

Here's abetter picture.

Attachment 956537

Fords72ChevyC10 07-15-2012 12:42 PM

Re: Starter Solenoid Wiring Help!!!
 
Thanks guys for helping me out in this endeavor, I am going to work on this today so hopefully I get it working.

Fords72ChevyC10 07-15-2012 02:56 PM

Re: Starter Solenoid Wiring Help!!!
 
This is what I found out so far,

The purple wire is getting power when I try starting it, so it must be the solenoid. I tried tapping it when someone was trying to start it but to no avail.

fixit-p 07-15-2012 03:28 PM

Re: Starter Solenoid Wiring Help!!!
 
Battery cables. Do yo have a voltmeter.

jrny99 07-04-2016 10:51 PM

Re: Starter Solenoid Wiring Help!!!
 
thank you for who ever put the idea that it might be neutral safety switch, i install a floor shift in my auto and did not jumper out this purple wired switch. worked like a charm once i jumpered it.

jrny99 07-04-2016 10:53 PM

Re: Starter Solenoid Wiring Help!!!
 
thank you for this post, saved me having to light my truck on fire and burn it to the ground. : )


Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteVet (Post 5487006)
Here's the neutral start switch on top of the blue steering column. The purple wires come from the key switch and go to the starter solenoid. If you pull the plug off the NSS and jump the two purple wires then you are by passing the neutral start switch. The truck will start in gear so be careful.

Attachment 956534

This is the starter wiring circuit.

Attachment 956535

To isolate the starter from the purple wire, I take the purple wire off the S terminal and jump across the solenoid between the battery cable terminal and the S terminal. I use an old screwdriver or wrench because it will arc. leave the nut on the S terminal to avoid messing up the threads.
If the starter turns then the problem is in the key switch to the S terminal wiring. If it doesn't then it's in the starter. Make sure the truck is in Park so it won't move and leave the key off so it won't start. The plate in this picture is for a remote solenoid so disregard it.

Attachment 956536

Here's abetter picture.

Attachment 956537



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2020 67-72chevytrucks.com