The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Drag Link Replacement (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=748197)

Desert_Eagle02 10-10-2017 12:09 PM

Drag Link Replacement

Hey guys, I picked up new drag link ends and adjustment sleeve for my truck. It has some play in the steering that I thought I would try and fix. After having a buddy turn the steering wheel while I looked for play, I found the drag link ends were shot. Tie rod ends will need replaced soon too. And if possible, tighten the gear box slightly.

Anyway, my question is how should I go about replacing the drag links? Measure to overall length of the old ones and count the number of threads? My steering wheel is slight off center to the left so I would like to fix that as well, so would I need to bring the ends closer just a bit? Also will I need an alignment after replacing just the drag link setup?

Any help is appreciated thanks.

sweetk30 10-10-2017 01:00 PM

Re: Drag Link Replacement

on 4wd push/pull steering the drag link only centers the wheel . so assemble the new stuff close and road test it and adjust as needed to get steering wheel stright .

Desert_Eagle02 10-10-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetk30 (Post 8057954)
on 4wd push/pull steering the drag link only centers the wheel . so assemble the new stuff close and road test it and adjust as needed to get steering wheel stright .

Alright cool thanks. I'm going to attempt to start working on it tonight.

Desert_Eagle02 10-10-2017 09:00 PM

Alright got the new setup in. Does anyone know what the torque specs are? I don't have a manual to reference to.

SunSoaked 10-10-2017 09:43 PM

I just removed and replaced mine. I torqued the nuts as far as they would go,then backed them off just enough to insert to he cotter pin.

sweetk30 10-10-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunSoaked (Post 8058336)
I just removed and replaced mine. I torqued the nuts as far as they would go,then backed them off just enough to insert to he cotter pin.

there in is the problem . always go tight till cotter pin hole lines up do NOT back off nut to align cotter pin hole.

but wheel bearing adjustment like this is different.

SunSoaked 10-10-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetk30 (Post 8058344)
there in is the problem . always go tight till cotter pin hole lines up do NOT back off nut to align cotter pin hole.
but wheel bearing adjustment like this is different.

Makes sense. I admit, I only had to back it off a few degrees at most. Thanks for that insight.

Desert_Eagle02 10-10-2017 11:03 PM

I actually found the specs. 40-45ft/lbs. I set it at 43 then tightened it a bit more to get the cotter pin in. Seemed to be nice and tight. Went for a quick drive and adjusted the adjustment sleeve and tightens it down, and the steering wheel is nice and straight.

Still a little play, going to try and tighten the gear box a bit since there is some play in that. Then tie rod ends and ball joints.