The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How do I remove the tailgate? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=369954)

charv712 11-02-2009 02:31 AM

How do I remove the tailgate?

Hey so here is a dumb question? How do I remove the tailgate from my 71 Chevy Truck? If anyone could post quick instructions here it would be most useful, if not, it's no big deal, I'm sure I'll figure it out, but an explanation would be great. Thanks for taking the time.

oldiron 11-02-2009 03:05 AM

Re: How do I remove the tailgate?

Its pretty simple. Down at the bottom of the tailgate where it hinges on either side are two bolts that hold the hinge joint to the body. First remove the two tailgate support rods on either side by lifting the rods up in the middle while lifting the tailgate. Lift until each rod end on top of the tailgate aligns with the notch with the pin then disconect the support rods.
Next lower the tailgate you will see a bolt on top of the hinge and one on the bottom of the hinge. Remove the bottom bolt first only on one side then the top one on the same side. You might have someone holding the tailgate for you while you are doing this. After the two bolts are removed lift the tailgate on the side you have removed the bolts from, lift the tailgate up horizionaly and the hinge should come with the tailgate.

70clone 11-02-2009 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldiron (Post 3598416)
its pretty simple. Down at the bottom of the tailgate where it hinges on either side are two bolts that hold the hinge joint to the body. First remove the two tailgate support rods on either side by lifting the rods up in the middle while lifting the tailgate. Lift until each rod end on top of the tailgate aligns with the notch with the pin then disconect the support rods.
Next lower the tailgate you will see a bolt on top of the hinge and one on the bottom of the hinge. Remove the bottom bolt first only on one side then the top one on the same side. You might have someone holding the tailgate for you while you are doing this. After the two bolts are removed lift the tailgate on the side you have removed the bolts from, lift the tailgate up horizionaly and the hinge should come with the tailgate.

what he said but you can always break out the sawzalll !!!!!! Just kidding

piecesparts 11-02-2009 06:06 AM

Afterwards notch the one side, so that it will come off like alater model tailgate.

cdowns 11-02-2009 09:00 AM

i find it's easier to do with bumper off//as far as changing to make quick removal possible?? thieves like them easy off ones