The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Steering Shaft (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=754162)

mechanixman 01-05-2018 06:36 PM

Steering Shaft

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Folks,
Quick question: I'm setting up my power steering box in my 52, and I'd like to know if there is anything wrong with getting a longer DD shaft and attaching it to the steering column.
Do you guys think I'll need a heim joint to support the steering shaft at all?

Thanks a bunch!

dsraven 01-05-2018 06:54 PM

Re: Steering Shaft

if it were me I would get a telescopic shaft so the cab can move some without affecting the steering column.
if the column has a good bearing at the bottom and good support at the firewall and above then you should be ok without a support bearing. that would also complicate the cab movement interference.

mechanixman 01-05-2018 08:27 PM

Thanks dsraven!
The upper steering joint flexes (it cost something like $80?)
It's supposed to be a better solution to a rag joint, maybe that's no enough flex. We'll see.

OrrieG 01-06-2018 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used combo of 74 truck and astro van parts to get a slip shaft because I know how much the frame will flex off road. with only two joints you do not need any intermediate support. Both steering box and my GM column had 3/4 splines, intermediate at DD configuration pinned and spot welded. Slip has about 1.5-2" travel.

dsraven 01-06-2018 10:31 PM

how much flex is built into the cab/frame? ensure enough extension/retraction is also built into the steering shaft. set some weight (friends)n in the cab and have them bounce around a bit to see how much the cab moves in relationship to the frame, then add a bit for worst case scenario and call it done. I like Orrie's idea of using stock parts.

mr48chev 01-07-2018 06:32 PM

Unless you are going four wheeling I don't think a street rig has much worries about cab and frame flex with two U joints in the mix. Remember the original box has a solid shaft and column and unless the cab mounts are shot you don't have a flex issue.

Some guys like the slip joint in the shaft to take up the impact if you do get in a wreck. Better to have it collapse than push the wheel into your face and chest.

_Ogre 01-09-2018 03:37 PM

i prefer the long straight shaft over an intermediate heim joint
the straight shaft is locked in place, can't come loose even if all the set screws are removed
if you can run it straight just do it :D

Erics51chevy 01-09-2018 04:14 PM

Mind adding some more pictures? Im trying to decide if i want to do powersteering or not. How are you connecting it to the wheel and what not?

OrrieG 01-09-2018 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8153766)
how much flex is built into the cab/frame? ensure enough extension/retraction is also built into the steering shaft. set some weight (friends)n in the cab and have them bounce around a bit to see how much the cab moves in relationship to the frame, then add a bit for worst case scenario and call it done. I like Orrie's idea of using stock parts.

This much, on this trip I cracked the weld at the bottom of the A pillar to cab (not in this pick). This is the reason I kept all the frame rivets and not welded. Over the years I cork screwed the frame pretty good.

Jesse Z 01-10-2018 12:10 AM

I've always connected the box to the column directly and never had a problem.