The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   tilt column swap question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471634)

68c10owner 06-26-2011 02:01 PM

tilt column swap question

I picked this up from another member months ago and just now starting to think about the swap. Here is my question, how do I make this work? My truck is a 83 scottsdale without intermiten wipers but does have cruise control. the wiper switch is on the dash. The column I got is set up for intermitten wipers and the switch is on the column with the cruise control stuff all on one lever. What do i have to do to make it work? also, got it without keys, how do I change the lock cylinder without the key?

80stepsideguy 06-26-2011 08:15 PM

Re: tilt column swap question

83 was the last year of the trucks with the wiper switch on the dash and in 84 they went to the column with everything from the CC to the wipers to the high beam switch.I think your better off looking for a 83 and down column to make it alot easier to install.I found 1 from a 82 GMC high sierra in a junkyard for 50.00. I had to have it rebuilt for 150.00.But for 200.00 its tight,its correct and i dont have to worry about any problems hooking it up and not working..

thanks
Pat

old Rusty C10 06-26-2011 09:53 PM

as to pulling apart the column to change the ignition switch its pretty simple with the right tools... pull off the wheel use the compressor to compress the piece under the wheel.. remove the retaining clip, and once you slide out the turn signal switch there are pins or screws that hold in the ignition key switch

68c10owner 06-27-2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80stepsideguy (Post 4757297)
83 was the last year of the trucks with the wiper switch on the dash and in 84 they went to the column with everything from the CC to the wipers to the high beam switch.I think your better off looking for a 83 and down column to make it alot easier to install.I found 1 from a 82 GMC high sierra in a junkyard for 50.00. I had to have it rebuilt for 150.00.But for 200.00 its tight,its correct and i dont have to worry about any problems hooking it up and not working..

thanks
Pat

Sounds like a good idea to me Pat. I think I`m going to do just that. i like easy. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 (Post 4757519)
as to pulling apart the column to change the ignition switch its pretty simple with the right tools... pull off the wheel use the compressor to compress the piece under the wheel.. remove the retaining clip, and once you slide out the turn signal switch there are pins or screws that hold in the ignition key switch

I know how to change them, done it on my old 75 GMC but I seem to remember having to turn the key a certain way to get it to pop out. Isn`t that right? I don`t have a key for this column. If I don`t need the key then I`m good. thanks.