The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (
-   -   filler tube relocation - wood bed (

69Tom 01-10-2019 11:57 PM

filler tube relocation - wood bed
So I just purchased a rear gas tank from Classic Industries as it was on sale. It doesn't appear to come with a filler tube, although maybe I'm wrong.

I plan on mounting the filler tube/opening in the bed floor as it's a stepside. Truck is a 70 C10, SWB with a wood floor.

I'd like a fuel cap that is somewhat flush with the wood floor. Anyone have any recommendations on where to get a good one? Pics would be cool if you have any.

I've run a bunch of searches and didn't seem to find what I'm looking for, hence the new post.

Thanks in advance.

dagnabbitt 01-11-2019 12:02 AM

Re: filler tube relocation - wood bed
Here's a neat site that will have everything you need. I also have a 70 swb stepper and I have a similar plan: post some pics of yours.

kaycee 01-11-2019 12:57 AM

Re: filler tube relocation - wood bed
1 Attachment(s)
Man I just hate it when I see a gas cap in the floor bed ,how do you keep from spilling gas on that pretty floor ? Then you cant get gas if you got something in the back that covers it up. Just My opinion don't mean to ruffle feathers but heres a little trick I used. And easy to do

69Tom 01-11-2019 01:12 AM

Re: filler tube relocation - wood bed
Mine is a step side.

Zeroman 01-11-2019 07:55 AM

Re: filler tube relocation - wood bed
4 Attachment(s)
You are correct. They do not come with a filler tube.

Did you buy the top fill, or side fill tank?

Top fill you have to go through the bed, side fill you can do what kaycee above did.

For top fill most people use a boat/marine/motorcycle style filler cap.

Here is a great site to get ideas.

Mine is the side fill, same as kaycee's. I used a mid 90's Chevy S10 setup including the door hinge assembly, plastic filler tube pocket, and the top 6 1/2" of the filler tube. Bought for $15 at a junk yard. The rest I cobbled together from the auto parts store, and Lowes. The cap is a Permacap which has a trap door top just like the new cars and trucks.

I did have to notch the left rear frame rail, trim the bottom of the left bedside(red arrow), and trim the bed support sill that runs over the tank as the tank top is above the frame when installed.

I also converted to LED side marker lights so there is no issue with the light being so close to the filler.

It fills pretty good, but you have to go at about half speed on the nozzle flow, or it backs up.

Here are some pics of the install.

There are tons of posts on this forum, just search for rear tank conversion and you will find plenty to look at.

clay68c10 01-11-2019 07:55 AM

Re: filler tube relocation - wood bed
As a step side, you have more room in the fender to run the tubing up to the side marker light. Do a search on here and there’s some good info on that.

Edit: Zeroman beat me to it

kaycee 01-11-2019 01:50 PM

Re: filler tube relocation - wood bed
Ditto what zeroman said :metal: Great minds think alike :bann:

69Tom 01-11-2019 02:06 PM

Re: filler tube relocation - wood bed
Thanks guys. I bought the center fill, so I'll probably just stick with a bed mount. Thanks for the info.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013