The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=563833)

Vic1947 08-29-2014 08:37 PM

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

3 Attachment(s)
With the tray in place, I started to weld in the first of the compressor mounts. I was having some minor issues with the MIG, so I stopped at about the halfway mark on the first mount. Lucky for me I did so. I'd revised the location of the mount without double checking for interference. When I set one of the compressors on it, BANG! I realized it wouldn't clear the cross sill.

So this morning I zipped the mount off the frame with a thin kerf cutting disc and went back with the mount like I'd originally planned. All is well now. Next up will be running air lines and wiring.

Xeen 08-29-2014 08:59 PM

:jdp: Nice!

jeh 08-29-2014 09:43 PM

Neat and clean Vic, we wouldn't expect nothing else...:metal:

jlsanborn 08-30-2014 11:25 AM

KILLIN' IT!!!

That all looks super nice Vic! Love them little bits you're milling for the ends of the tubular supports and the sheet metal work is really cool.

sduckworth13 08-30-2014 09:56 PM

I feel lucky I get a birds eye view of Vic's work in progress as we prep parts for my engine rebuild that he is in the process of schooling me on. Great work Vic!

Low Elco 09-02-2014 08:27 AM

Great stuff, stoked to see it!

Vic1947 09-07-2014 11:49 AM

5 Attachment(s)
It's been a busy couple of weeks working to get the air suspension operational for the Midwest All Truck Nationals yesterday. Chip (Low Elco) graciously offered to trailer the chassis out there behind his freshly lowered BBT (which looked awesome!). We had a great time hanging with other forum members, checking out all the fine rides, grillin' and downing some cold ones. With all that behind me, I can catch up on recent efforts.

After retooling the compressor mounts, the next hurdle was to locate the position sensors at each corner. In the back, I welded tabs to one of the tubes that support the air tank as well as to the trailing arms. Up front, I attached tabs under the frame rails for the sensor mount and used blind rivet nuts in the lower control arm tubes for the lower rod end mounts. Measured carefully and cut the links to length. It all sounds so easy when you say it fast. In reality, there was lots of head scratching between steps. McMaster-Carr had some neat clips for mounting the air line, so I popped for enough to do the job. They came with screws, but I opted to use little 3/32" pop rivets. I setup the lines to run inside the frame rails and curl around the back into the solenoid valve body. I'll use the Adel style clamps that came with the kit to keep them tucked up out of the way.

Vic1947 09-07-2014 03:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Up front, the cleanest way to get the line routed from the bag to the inside of the frame rail was by using a 90 degree bulkhead fitting. There was already a small hole in the crossmember where the fitting needed to go, so it served as a pilot hole for the size drill needed for the fitting. I then used a short section of hose from the bag to the fitting and connected the long line running to the back to the other end.

Plumbing the air tank was next on the list. I picked up some pre-made high pressure hoses and used them to remotely locate the water trap(s). There was only one included in the kit, and the other one won't be here until Tuesday, so I just temporarily made a splice with a union fitting. With the air lines all done, the only thing remaining was the wiring. It's pretty simple, but the biggest issue was all the excess. I just looped it up and used cable ties to organize it. I'll shorten them up later on when wiring the rest of the truck. I did some research on the plugs hoping I'd find a source for the pins so I won't have to cut and splice, but I haven't 100% nailed it yet. Pretty sure the plugs on the ECU are from Molex and the ends on the sensors are the unshrouded Delphi GT150 type. But more research is required.

The system has an auto calibration feature and it went thru all that perfectly. When it finished, it set the ride height to the middle position. It has presets for low (10% travel), medium (50% travel), and high (90% travel). However, if you press the buttons to change it from the middle to the low or high positions, it does nothing. The manual buttons work perfectly to raise or lower the bags, either individually or in pairs. Reckon I'll call Travis at AZ Perf. this week and see if he has any insights. Meanwhile, I'll tear it all apart again to send the metal parts out for powder coating.

Xeen 09-07-2014 08:41 PM

Very nice Vic.
Now that you got the air ride done what's next on the list?

Low Elco 09-07-2014 11:06 PM

It got a lot of attention! It was fun to watch it go up and down. It drew a crowd the whole day. Glad you went with us, Vic and Kathy!

Vic1947 09-08-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6833968)
Very nice Vic.
Now that you got the air ride done what's next on the list?

Just a few more tweaks on the air suspension, blow it apart for powder coating ...and then a return to the dreaded bodywork.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6834208)
It got a lot of attention! It was fun to watch it go up and down. It drew a crowd the whole day. Glad you went with us, Vic and Kathy!

We were lucky to be right there with Yeller and BBT. It was like flies to honey. BTW, I read deeper into the Accuair instructions and found a reference to saving a program buried in the manual setup section. Tried it and it worked. So for more "up and down" action see the video.

Xeen 09-08-2014 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 6834711)
Just a few more tweaks on the air suspension, blow it apart for powder coating ...and then a return to the dreaded bodywork.

We were lucky to be right there with Yeller and BBT. It was like flies to honey. BTW, I read deeper into the Accuair instructions and found a reference to saving a program buried in the manual setup section. Tried it and it worked. So for more "up and down" action see the video.

The air ride suspension looks like a lot of fun and I bet it's gratifying getting to play with it.
You will have the cab whipped into shape in no time.

sduckworth13 09-08-2014 10:09 PM

That looks great Vic. I didn't realize how fast that system will launch the truck up in hurry.

jlsanborn 09-10-2014 02:48 PM

Whole air ride system is looking great Vic! Attention to detail is awesome!

Low Elco 09-11-2014 10:16 AM

This is all coming together really nicely. I really like the line clamps.

jlsanborn 09-11-2014 10:20 AM

Just spotted the link to the Youtube vid. Awesome!

Vic1947 09-17-2014 05:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Since getting home from the Truck Nats, I've been busy assembling a 357 Magnum engine for Scott. The chassis has just been patiently waiting its turn and I knew it needed some TLC. I'd observed that the rear bags held air just fine, but the fronts would deflate in just a few hours. So before disassembling everything to prep my homemade mounts for powder coating, I did some investigating with dishwashing soap and water. The leaks were coming from the 90 degree bulkhead fittings. They're made by Parker and have no support tube in them like the KV2 series fittings from SMC. I looked high and low for a 90 bulkhead with the support tube, but had no luck.

An alternative solution is to use a bulkhead union with a 90 elbow fitting that has one end PTC (push to connect) and the other a straight leg that fits into the female end of the bulkhead. But further research revealed that the only KV2 series elbow was for 1/4" line ...and of course I have 3/8". What the vendors are selling are the 3/8" Parker elbows without the support tube. Why all the fretting over the support tube, you ask? Well, it appears that the tight bend radius is torqueing the tubing just enough to create a leak.

So, the obvious solution is to make yer own! I had some leftover 90's with brass male 1/4 NPT on one end and KV2 PTC on the other. First step was to tap the id of the brass end to 1/8 NPT. Then I turned a brass 1/8 NPT close nipple to the dimensions I needed and assembled it using a R8 collet to keep from damaging the polished exterior. So I now have the KV2 style PTC's at every joint in the system. Hopefully it will solve the leak issues. When I get my parts back from the powder coater, I'll reassemble everything and report back.

jeh 09-17-2014 06:16 PM

Vic, you make things look so easy!!! Very nice job on the fittings, also great job on Scott's engine, it sure looks good. Anxious to see a video of it it when he gets it put in.

jlsanborn 09-17-2014 06:24 PM

Tricky! I used to be in the pneumatics buiz (Festo) and have used a bunch of PTC fittings. I've never seen one with the support sleeve inside - nice! Guess I've been out of that game for a while. I've seen plugs turned from aluminum that are used to block off a PTC but always opted for the plastic ones in fear that the retractable barbs wouldn't "bite" into metal well enough. Have you tried to pull the brass tube you made out of a PTC? Never having played with a vehicle air ride setup before, curious what kind of pressures you're running?

Vic1947 09-17-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeh (Post 6846929)
Vic, you make things look so easy!!! Very nice job on the fittings, also great job on Scott's engine, it sure looks good. Anxious to see a video of it it when he gets it put in.

Thanks, Jason. When we unloaded the engine at Scott's he mentioned he'd like to get it dropped in this weekend. He asked if I could be there when he starts it the first time. Makes me feel like a midwife. ;)

jeh 09-17-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 6846939)
Thanks, Jason. When we unloaded the engine at Scott's he mentioned he'd like to get it dropped in this weekend. He asked if I could be there when he starts it the first time. Makes me feel like a midwife. ;)

I'll have to say, he's pretty lucky to have a friend like you... I defiantly know he appreciates it.

Xeen 09-17-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 6846939)
When we unloaded the engine at Scott's he mentioned he'd like to get it dropped in this weekend. He asked if I could be there when he starts it the first time. Makes me feel like a midwife. ;)

:haha:

Vic1947 09-17-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6846937)
Tricky! I used to be in the pneumatics buiz (Festo) and have used a bunch of PTC fittings. I've never seen one with the support sleeve inside - nice! Guess I've been out of that game for a while. I've seen plugs turned from aluminum that are used to block off a PTC but always opted for the plastic ones in fear that the retractable barbs wouldn't "bite" into metal well enough. Have you tried to pull the brass tube you made out of a PTC? Never having played with a vehicle air ride setup before, curious what kind of pressures you're running?

Yep, I gave the first one I built a tug and it seemed locked in pretty good. The brass is pretty soft and those little stainless claws grabbed it enough to make some light marks. I polished them out and decided a "one time" assembly might be the best plan. Right now, with just the drivetrain and chassis weight, the front's need 25 psi and the rears 12 psi to sit at ride height. System is setup to deliver 150 psi, but I won't know until it's all together what the final pressures are.

sduckworth13 09-17-2014 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice work Vic on the fitting, I'm always amazed at how you improvise to have the perfect parts. I feel like I'm the candy striper if your the mid wife lol. I truely do appreciate all the hard work you put into my engine. From design, to assembly, to paint, to crate and delivery.
Thank you Vic!

Elliot949 09-18-2014 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 6846875)
Since getting home from the Truck Nats, I've been busy assembling a 357 Magnum engine for Scott. The chassis has just been patiently waiting its turn and I knew it needed some TLC. I'd observed that the rear bags held air just fine, but the fronts would deflate in just a few hours. So before disassembling everything to prep my homemade mounts for powder coating, I did some investigating with dishwashing soap and water. The leaks were coming from the 90 degree bulkhead fittings. They're made by Parker and have no support tube in them like the KV2 series fittings from SMC. I looked high and low for a 90 bulkhead with the support tube, but had no luck.

An alternative solution is to use a bulkhead union with a 90 elbow fitting that has one end PTC (push to connect) and the other a straight leg that fits into the female end of the bulkhead. But further research revealed that the only KV2 series elbow was for 1/4" line ...and of course I have 3/8". What the vendors are selling are the 3/8" Parker elbows without the support tube. Why all the fretting over the support tube, you ask? Well, it appears that the tight bend radius is torqueing the tubing just enough to create a leak.

So, the obvious solution is to make yer own! I had some leftover 90's with brass male 1/4 NPT on one end and KV2 PTC on the other. First step was to tap the id of the brass end to 1/8 NPT. Then I turned a brass 1/8 NPT close nipple to the dimensions I needed and assembled it using a R8 collet to keep from damaging the polished exterior. So I now have the KV2 style PTC's at every joint in the system. Hopefully it will solve the leak issues. When I get my parts back from the powder coater, I'll reassemble everything and report back.

Vic you never cease to amaze me... I am about to load up Class Act and Bring Her to you... LOL