The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Interior trim parts. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=755041)

89k1500 01-17-2018 05:13 PM

Interior trim parts.

Hi everyone,

I have a 1989 Chevy k1500 standard cab. The original paint was the Chevy burgundy color and the interior is the same. Recently I had it painted a dark green. I don't like the dark green with the burgundy interior look. I'm looking to have everything changed over to either a grey or black inside. I can have the headliner, bench seat and carpet reupholstered. But my question is can I get new dash, pillars, doorpanels etc.... That I need to replace all of the burgundy inside the truck? I've tried a few google searches but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'm basically looking for all of the parts to restore the interior but haven't had much luck. Thanks for any info.
Posted via Mobile Device

EVRLET 01-17-2018 05:37 PM

Re: Interior trim parts.

Changing the dash would be the hardest part and can be done. I completely swapped a tan interior to gray on a Tahoe I used to own. The dash was the biggest pain, partly because it had the passenger air bag above the glove box. After the work was done, you couldn’t tell it was ever tan.

Here in Vegas, the wrecking yards are littered with the OBS trucks and going there to see how a dash is attached is the best education you can receive.

Good luck on the change.

fredscarryall 01-18-2018 05:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Have you thought about vinyle paint. Hope the guys at az performance don’t mind me referencing there build. The key to making it look this good is the prep. I have used Scotch Brite to prep. Then wiped it down the entire dash with rubbing alcohol 3 or 4 times. Not sure what the guys used for paint.

fredscarryall 01-18-2018 05:24 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Final. Looks awesome. I think Travis did this bulld. There very nice guys and helped me a lot with buying and giving me info on my front disc conversion. Somewhere on this forum is his build. Its also at azproperformance. Under photo gallery, 90 obs project. Hope this gives you options. I have also order interior parts from lmc,classic industries and if no luck there used and some new on ebay. Or you may not like it but a wrecking yard. This seem to be a good option for me.They seemed for a while to stop or slow down on making stock and aftermarket replacement parts . Now it seems To be turning around. Here a the three vinyl dies I have have had alot of luck with. Vht is my favorite, it hard to find, but dries harder and way faster them the rest

Mr_Rich 01-18-2018 01:15 PM

You have another option. You can go to an automotive paint store and have them mix you up the color and type of paint you're interested in using. That way you can get the exact match of paint you're looking for. They can put the paint in spray cans for you. I've had this done.

89k1500 01-18-2018 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredscarryall (Post 8164016)
Have you thought about vinyle paint. Hope the guys at az performance don’t mind me referencing there build. The key to making it look this good is the prep. I have used Scotch Brite to prep. Then wiped it down the entire dash with rubbing alcohol 3 or 4 times. Not sure what the guys used for paint.

I like that instrument cluster. Any idea where that's from?
Posted via Mobile Device

fredscarryall 01-18-2018 03:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Dakota digital. I got mine from summit racing. Took about 3 or 4 hours to wire. Hardiest part for me was figuring out how to wire the speedometer to the ecu.