The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Suspension upgrade for ride quality, not ride height??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=736005)

FLYNAVY30 04-21-2017 07:16 AM

Suspension upgrade for ride quality, not ride height???

I've got a 1972 C20 Suburban that I daily drive on nice days and use for long distance road trips/camping/etc. Im curious if anyone has upgraded their suspension...either with different rate shocks and springs, or coil-overs to provide a better ride quality without lowering the truck any. I like the factory stance, Id just like the soften the ride a bit without lowering the truck.

The wife has a new Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, and the ride is excellent, both on and off road. Obviously I'm not going to match that in a 45 year old tin can, but any improvement would be excellent, as with the road quality in and around Norfolk, you're pretty much "off-roading" at all times.

Thanks.

JohnJ@RideTech 04-21-2017 08:10 AM

Re: Suspension upgrade for ride quality, not ride height???

Is it a 2 or 4wd? New shocks would probably work wonders in that thing.

Bigdav160 04-21-2017 08:53 AM

Install some 1/2 ton springs?

In my experience, Toyotas are softly sprung.

FLYNAVY30 04-21-2017 08:53 AM

2WD, 3/4 Ton.....Its got newer Ranchos on it, but it still rides like a covered wagon. Would be very interested in new shocks, or a new spin/shock combo if anyone has any recommendations

FLYNAVY30 04-21-2017 08:56 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c78a7de57b.jpg

Bigdav160 04-21-2017 11:17 AM

I installed Rancho 9000's in my DDs and have been satisfied with them until they beat the bushings out of the bottoms. Although they have a "lifetime" warranty you have to go the the selling vendor, which for me, was online. So I went cheap and installed Rancho 5000's.

They are horrible. The worst. Harsh buckboard is right. The wife calls her truck the popcorn popper.

JohnJ@RideTech 04-21-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 (Post 7921644)
2WD, 3/4 Ton.....Its got newer Ranchos on it, but it still rides like a covered wagon. Would be very interested in new shocks, or a new spin/shock combo if anyone has any recommendations

Is there any other type of suspension work done? I can spec you out a set of shocks if you would like. Check out the link below and let me know what you think.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/shocks/

PortHeadlight 04-22-2017 07:20 AM

I have 70 3/4 ton Suburban. Stock suspension. Have a new set of Bilstein shocks ready to install when weather cooperates. Rear part number 24-002486 and front 24-192941. Will let you know how they ride in a couple weeks.

FLYNAVY30 04-25-2017 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnJ@RideTech (Post 7921785)
Is there any other type of suspension work done? I can spec you out a set of shocks if you would like. Check out the link below and let me know what you think.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/shocks/

John,

Those look good...suspension is 100% stock. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. Ill have to crawl under and take a look this afternoon to see what I need on each end as far as mounting goes. I believe its eyelet both front and rear but Ill double check.

JohnJ@RideTech 04-25-2017 07:38 AM

Sounds great!
If the truck is still at factory ride height, I may be able to cross reference the factory part numbers and find something compatible in our product line. I will look into it and see what I can come up with.

JohnJ@RideTech 04-25-2017 08:00 AM

According to the documentation that I have, your front shock is an eye to eye mount and has a stroke of 4.75". The rear is an eye to eye mount with a stroke of 6.62".

Our part number for the front is #22149841 and the rear is #22179841

The HQ (handling quality) Series shocks adds rebound adjustment for the driver who wants to tune ride quality AND handling quality to their specific taste. These pieces are assembled by Fox Racing to our specifications using a valve code developed by the engineers at our facility. We provide a million and one mile warranty on the pieces and handle warranty claims IN HOUSE. You can buy in confidence knowing that if you were to have any issues, you can call us directly to get the matter resolved.

Our retail price on the shocks is $185 plus shipping. That's not a bad pricing considering the warranty and service we provide.

FLYNAVY30 04-26-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnJ@RideTech (Post 7925168)
According to the documentation that I have, your front shock is an eye to eye mount and has a stroke of 4.75". The rear is an eye to eye mount with a stroke of 6.62".

Our part number for the front is #22149841 and the rear is #22179841

The HQ (handling quality) Series shocks adds rebound adjustment for the driver who wants to tune ride quality AND handling quality to their specific taste. These pieces are assembled by Fox Racing to our specifications using a valve code developed by the engineers at our facility. We provide a million and one mile warranty on the pieces and handle warranty claims IN HOUSE. You can buy in confidence knowing that if you were to have any issues, you can call us directly to get the matter resolved.

Our retail price on the shocks is $185 plus shipping. That's not a bad pricing considering the warranty and service we provide.

Hey John, I appreciate the effort! Just to verify before I order....I was looking at the web site and you guys do have #22149841 listed as the front shock for the C10 but have a different part number for the rear than what you mentioned above. Is that due to a difference in travel or loading between the C10 and C20 in the rear? The site doesn't list anything for the 3/4 ton trucks, I just want to make sure i order the proper part #.

Last question, do you guys still offer the RQ series shock, or has that been superseded by the HQ series entirely? I only ask because Summit Racing only lists the RQ series for the C10, and it had a number of good reviews. I'm not opposed to the HQ if thats what it takes to get this barge riding a little more compliantly, I just hate to enter a whole bunch of adjustability into the mix if its not needed. I built this thing as a 3 season daily driver, so I'm all about set it, and forget it where applicable.

Thanks again for all the assistance!

JohnJ@RideTech 04-26-2017 01:37 PM

The front shock for the C-10 and C-20 will be the same. Whenever I reference original equipment height, the C20 has a different part number for whatever reason (Im guessing a different stroke). Based off the measurements that the database gives me, I then take that information and configure one of our shocks to those measurements.
The RQ shock was discontinued back at the beginning of the year. Some of our larger distributors may still have some of these components in stock but I can no longer provide you with those parts.
Currently, we offer only the HQ single adjustable piece in that configuration. The rebound adjustment is nice because it will give you the ability to fine tune the ride to the quality that you want.
I hope that information was helpful. Feel free to give me a shout directly when you get ready to order. I can process everything and get them on their way.

FLYNAVY30 04-26-2017 01:39 PM

Perfect, thanks John...Ill give you a shout next week....Pay Day is Friday:five:

FLYNAVY30 05-01-2017 08:17 PM

John,

I tried calling your desk a couple times today, but I imagine you probably have a similar Monday morning meeting regiment as the rest of us, so I placed the order via your web site, but did make sure to include the fact that you had assisted me in the comments section. I don't know if you guys operate on any sort of commission or customer service accounting system, but if you do, and you need me to do anything else to ensure you get credit for the sale, please let me know.

Thanks again for the help, Ill post up here once I get them installed.

JohnJ@RideTech 05-02-2017 07:32 AM

That's great man! I appreciate it. I was running around here like a chicken with my head cut off yesterday!
Be sure and keep me posted on the install and feel free to post a review about the shocks to let others know what you think about them. Keep in contact with me as well should you have any questions. The installation is pretty straight forward.
When you get the shocks, turn the adjustment knob all the way to the right, then back it off about 12 clicks. This should put you right in the middle of the adjustment range and you can fine tune from there. Clockwise would be more firm, counter clockwise would be soft.

FLYNAVY30 05-16-2017 09:23 PM

I've got a little over 100 miles on the truck since installing the Ride Tech shocks last Monday, and Im quite pleased with the results. Obviously a set of shocks isn't going to turn a 3/4 ton Suburban into a Corvette, but the ride is significantly improved. The additional bonus is that because the ride is much smoother and rebound controlled, a good number of the constant rattles have been drastically reduced during day to day commuting.

I started with the shocks at full soft or 20 clicks left. That was definitely too soft so I added another 6 clicks to the right and that is about perfect. The rebound is just right and I don't feel like I'm driving on pogo sticks any more. Adjusting the shocks is also painless....you do have to get on the ground, but I can adjust the rebound on all 4 corners in under 60 seconds.

Thanks again for the help John, Ill definitely be giving you guys a shout next year when I start diving into the suspension on my '64 Vette.

JohnJ@RideTech 05-17-2017 07:48 AM

No problem at all. I appreciate your review. Don't hesitate to give me a shout if you need anything else!