The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Rare three door? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=744027)

CG 08-06-2017 11:49 AM

Rare three door?

I was watching an old episode of West Coast Customs where they built three rides for veterans, this was a brain child of Ebay. One of them was a GMC Suburban. All three vehicles were purchased through Ebay.

So they build them and then surprise the recipients with the vehicles. When they deliver the suburban of course the lady from West Coast Customs touts how it is one of the very rare three door suburbans.

Now we all know that all the burbs from 67-72 were three doors. They made lots and lots of them. Its not like they weren't all over the place for many many years. So I'm wondering how the heck they ended up being tagged as the rare three door suburbans?

Bigdav160 08-06-2017 02:03 PM

Re: Rare three door?

They made a gazillion square body Suburbans.

I think most people didn't even know that Chevrolet made Suburbans for so many years previous, let alone, with only three or two doors.

CG 08-06-2017 02:24 PM

I never considered that. I think that is probably the best explanation.

67swb72klb 08-06-2017 02:49 PM

Rare like a Big block Pontiac...

HO455 08-07-2017 09:16 PM

I have had several people not believe me that GM made Suburbans in the sixties. Then if I say they started building them in 1935 they're sure I'm full of BS.
I wonder... if GM had made them with 4 doors, would they have sold more of them?

HO455 08-07-2017 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67swb72klb (Post 8010054)
Rare like a Big block Pontiac...

Well, not really since big block Pontiacs never existed. Or was it the small block Pontiac that never existed? That's it! They are ALL big blocks! :mm:

In The Ten Ring 09-02-2017 02:46 PM

It's a TV show, they didn't get a degree in automotive history to be on it and they read scripts written by people lacking in lots of knowledge.

I didn't know Suburbans had been made for so long or that they only had three doors before I joined this website.

BGarza13x 09-28-2017 05:39 PM

I tracked this episode down. I had seen Pimp My Ride, but never this show. Great idea, giving to the vets, but underwhelmed with actual build process. I've watched a few episodes, same thing. Always big idea, but little details on actual process. I always hope for something more like Motorhead Garage or the like, showing step by step.

67 Burb 09-29-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring (Post 8030513)
It's a TV show, they didn't get a degree in automotive history to be on it and they read scripts written by people lacking in lots of knowledge.

I didn't know Suburbans had been made for so long or that they only had three doors before I joined this website.

And from 1935 to 1966, they only had two doors.

Dieselwrencher 09-29-2017 03:50 PM

I heard this rare 3 door burb comment at a show a couple of weeks ago. I asked the guy why he thought they were rare and his response was..... "Most of the 67-72 suburbans were 4 doors just like all other suburbans." I told him to show me everyone he can find and I'll buy them. :lol:

BGarza13x 09-29-2017 04:54 PM

I've kinda wondered, since there are so many people that are resto-moding them, has anyone tried to put in a 4th door? Some of the other work I've seen on here is unbelievable: welding, patches, modification, turning a suburban into a "Tahoe".. I don't know if a 4th door is just too far out there.

mongocanfly 09-29-2017 05:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
anythings possible with enough skill and imagination
I used to have an AD pic of one like these..

CG 09-29-2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGarza13x (Post 8050639)
I've kinda wondered, since there are so many people that are resto-moding them, has anyone tried to put in a 4th door? Some of the other work I've seen on here is unbelievable: welding, patches, modification, turning a suburban into a "Tahoe".. I don't know if a 4th door is just too far out there.

There have been quite a few done here on the board. So some guys use a burb and a truck cab to make pretty cool extra passenger pickups. And some of those guys convert the missing 4th door to a working door.

67 Burb 09-30-2017 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGarza13x (Post 8050639)

Add a 4th door? Then it wouldn't be unique. I have to laugh when at a car show and I overhear a couple of guys commenting on what a nice job I did filling in the driver side rear door. :lol:

Advanced Design 09-30-2017 09:50 PM

Was one black with green flames?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 8009914)
I was watching an old episode of West Coast Customs where they built three rides for veterans, this was a brain child of Ebay. One of them was a GMC Suburban. All three vehicles were purchased through Ebay.

So they build them and then surprise the recipients with the vehicles. When they deliver the suburban of course the lady from West Coast Customs touts how it is one of the very rare three door suburbans.

Now we all know that all the burbs from 67-72 were three doors. They made lots and lots of them. Its not like they weren't all over the place for many many years. So I'm wondering how the heck they ended up being tagged as the rare three door suburbans?

CG 09-30-2017 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 8051306)
Was one black with green flames?

Yep Yep.

PanelDeland 10-01-2017 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 Burb (Post 8050844)
Add a 4th door? Then it wouldn't be unique. I have to laugh when at a car show and I overhear a couple of guys commenting on what a nice job I did filling in the driver side rear door. :lol:

It's all I can do to not bust out laughing when they comment about how much work it must have been to fill the windows. I always wonder, " who ties your shoes?"

Advanced Design 10-01-2017 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 8051312)
Yep Yep.

I talked to the young Veteran when he was selling the black suburban with green flames as I was seriously considering buying it. He thought receiving the Burb was great, until the builder sent him a 1099 for @ $60,000. This left him needing to pay tax on that amount and he didn't have enough money, so he had to sell it.

What was intended to be a nice gesture, based on what he was telling me, caused him a lot of stress trying to cover the tax bill. While I was making arrangements to have the vehicle inspected, he was able to sell it, so I think it was a wash for him. He was a very polite young man majoring in finance / accounting as I recall.

mongocanfly 10-01-2017 09:42 PM

^^^^that's sad^^^^...but as with a lot of those type programs and game shows they kill you on taxes..I had a cousin win 2 cars on price is right once and he had to sell one to cover taxes on both...
but a Veteran?..I mean comeon...looks like they could have picked up the tab on the taxes..

Killer Bee 10-01-2017 10:01 PM

well, based on production figures, looks like suburbans represent appox. 5-10% of truck production of same year..

so I guess it just depends on how you interpret the meaning of 'rare' :smoke:

Advanced Design 10-02-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8051913)
^^^^that's sad^^^^...but as with a lot of those type programs and game shows they kill you on taxes..I had a cousin win 2 cars on price is right once and he had to sell one to cover taxes on both...
but a Veteran?..I mean comeon...looks like they could have picked up the tab on the taxes..

I agree....this is the rest of the story most folks don't realize happens.

old51sedan 10-03-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 8050667)
There have been quite a few done here on the board. So some guys use a burb and a truck cab to make pretty cool extra passenger pickups. And some of those guys convert the missing 4th door to a working door.

Does anyone remember when Desoto made a Suburban? I remember the one my Grandfather had back in the 50's. It was a monster of a car with a large chrome luggage rack on the top and a big door in the back.

Bigdav160 10-03-2017 01:04 PM

Not to be confused with the Plymouth Suburban

https://assets.hemmings.com/blog/wp-...ban_01_700.jpg

67 Burb 10-03-2017 05:58 PM

At some time, GM must have copyrighted the name "SUBURBAN". Obviously it wasn't in the early 50's. They were known as the Suburban Carryall even into the 70's.