The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   67 C10 LS swap. Front engine bay wiring help! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=774336)

Rdwagoner 11-01-2018 09:34 AM

67 C10 LS swap. Front engine bay wiring help!

Hello all, I’m new here and feel I’ve exhausted my efforts in research. I’m doing a carbed LS swap in my 67. What’s holding me up is the front engine bay wiring. The harness splits and runs the firewall and the other half to the front lights etc. there are multiple wires on each and I’m stuck. I wired up what I thought was correct and had power to my fuse block. I went to move the harness slightly and one wire sparked, smoked and melted. A loose wire may have touched frame when I adjusted it. Can I remedy this without buying a new harness? Anyone have pictures of actual stock wiring on these trucks. I’ve seen the diagrams but this is my weak spot. I need any help I can get. Thank you in advance.

dmjlambert 11-09-2018 12:32 AM

Re: 67 C10 LS swap. Front engine bay wiring help!

Welcome! Let's see some pictures of your truck, it's always nice to see pictures to ooh and ahh over.

Regarding the melted wiring, you can just take pictures of what you have as you go and keep them so you know how to put together. The headlight and engine harnesses unplug from the firewall, so if you want you can just unplug and remove to a workbench.

If you have any of that black tape wrapped around the wires, you can just unwrap it so you can get at the wires. Replaced damaged sections of wire. Car parts stores have wire of various colors in small spools. The non-adhesive black vinyl tape is available to buy, I got mine from Amazon. Then you can wrap it back up with fresh tape after repair to make it just like the factory did. All they did is wrap it to make a neat bundle and tie a knot at the end.

If wiring is too far damaged it is possible to buy individual harnesses, such as the engine harness or headlight harness, etc. If you're powering up your truck without all the connectors connected where they go, tape up any loose connectors so they don't short against anything. Inspect wiring for bare sections, such as areas where mice have chewed through the insulation.

Rdwagoner 11-09-2018 10:15 PM

thank you very much for your input. I’m going to try and get the truck running first and then tackle the miscellaneous electrical issues afterwards. I just posted an issue I’m having with getting the truck running. It will crank for a second and then shut off. Please if you know anything about this issue or anybody who has dealt with this let me know. Thank you so much

Rdwagoner 11-09-2018 10:16 PM

I’ll load Some pictures ASAP.