The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   1st Gen Blazer Sound System Ideas (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=781011)

SeventyOne 02-06-2019 04:40 PM

1st Gen Blazer Sound System Ideas

Hey everyone,

Looking for some ideas that keep a stockish look while having decent tunes. So ideas that accomplish that ideal...

What I have bought or have considered:

-Stock radio dash hole - i already have a Retro Sound Long Beach unit to install.

For Speakers utilize either:
-Kick panel speaker pods (these seem to be sold by every vendor)

OR

-"CentraPod" thing i found for jeeps which i think could work well.

Or both?? (I will not cut my doors for a speaker).

For a subwoofer - I dont want a sub box or to put a sub in my rear CST panels. So i was thinking those slim under seat subs...maybe under the back seat?

And lastly an amp - where could i mount one thats hidden? Under the driver seat?

Anything I'm missing or not considering?

Classics Fan 02-06-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 8460185)
Hey everyone,

Looking for some ideas that keep a stockish look while having decent tunes. So ideas that accomplish that ideal...

What I have bought or have considered:

-Stock radio dash hole - i already have a Retro Sound Long Beach unit to install.

For Speakers utilize either:
-Kick panel speaker pods (these seem to be sold by every vendor)

OR

-"CentraPod" thing i found for jeeps which i think could work well.

Or both?? (I will not cut my doors for a speaker).

For a subwoofer - I dont want a sub box or to put a sub in my rear CST panels. So i was thinking those slim under seat subs...maybe under the back seat?

And lastly an amp - where could i mount one thats hidden? Under the driver seat?

Anything I'm missing or not considering?

Any reason to not put the amp in the console?
Posted via Mobile Device

SeventyOne 02-06-2019 07:59 PM

Re: 1st Gen Blazer Sound System Ideas

Nope! Would it fit (guess this depends on the model) and does it have enough air flow in there to not overheat?

simicrintz 02-06-2019 09:48 PM

Amps have gotten quite small. I have a small one in my Jeepster that I use to run an old iPhone off of with my music and satellite radio. Stock radio in the dash that does nothing but look period correct. They are easy to hide (mine is not much larger that a pack if cigarettes).

A1971Blazer 02-06-2019 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My dash was already cut and there were already holes in the door...so I didn't sweat it too much.
I bought a low profile sub box and shimmed the rear seat up 1" with some black plastic spacers so it would fit...you don't notice it unless I point it out.

I put 5½" round 2 way speakers in the front doors...I made some side panels out of textured ABS plastic sheet and mounted 6x9 3 way speakers in them.
Attachment 1873094

For the amp I put in a 2000 watt 5 channel Pioneer and mounted it under the driver seat..I had to modify the bracket for the slider in order to get enough clearance...

The head unit is just a Pioneer digital unit with bluetooth...no CD player

Really sounds clear and loud...the sub is adjustable and I mounted the control box behind the console next to the floor.

jondancer 02-06-2019 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1971Blazer (Post 8460422)
My dash was already cut and there were already holes in the door...so I didn't sweat it too much.
I bought a low profile sub box and shimmed the rear seat up 1" with some black plastic spacers so it would fit...you don't notice it unless I point it out.

I put 5½" round 2 way speakers in the front doors...I made some side panels out of textured ABS plastic sheet and mounted 6x9 3 way speakers in them.
Attachment 1873094

For the amp I put in a 2000 watt 5 channel Pioneer and mounted it under the driver seat..I had to modify the bracket for the slider in order to get enough clearance...

The head unit is just a Pioneer digital unit with bluetooth...no CD player

Really sounds clear and loud...the sub is adjustable and I mounted the control box behind the console next to the floor.

I like those abs panels, but where did you get that trim piece you ran along the bottom of the panel ?

parb 02-07-2019 01:39 AM

My Jimmy isn't built yet so I can't tell you how this works for a Jimmy. But I have a 2000 Dodge Viper RT/10 and the factory sounds was atrocious. I changed out the paper done speakers in the doors for some higher quality speakers. But the bass still sucked and no space to put bass in.

My installer your me that the Kenwood under seat speakers are really low profile, comes powered with built-in amplifier. My viper has lowered seats by 1" so not a lot of space...

I put two into the viper and the bass is glorious for my type of music. No it is not so deep that it wakes up the neighbors kids three houses down, but for normal to high sound levels it fills in that mid bass that Rick music is so full of.

This is what I used. I'll probably use it on my Jimmy as well. Maybe under the back seat and the driver's seat. https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KSC-S...=fsclp_pl_dp_2

A1971Blazer 02-07-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jondancer (Post 8460445)
I like those abs panels, but where did you get that trim piece you ran along the bottom of the panel ?

I bought it here https://www.mcmaster.com/8451a47
Also got some aluminum "J' channel for the top trim
https://www.mcmaster.com/8427a64

SeventyOne 02-07-2019 01:26 PM

McMasterCarr is awesome. nice job A1971.

Ok so sounds like I can find a small amp to hide somewhere, maybe even inside the console.

I like the idea of a couple slim profile subs under the rear seat.

Does anyone have opinions on the front speaker situation? The kickpanels, and the "cetrapod" idea. One or both?

Do i need some speakers for the rear for "fill"? I dont want to mount them in the panels and not sure i want a speaker box or two cluttering up the area but that might be the only option.

A1971Blazer 02-07-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 8460779)
McMasterCarr is awesome. nice job A1971.

Ok so sounds like I can find a small amp to hide somewhere, maybe even inside the console.

I like the idea of a couple slim profile subs under the rear seat.

Does anyone have opinions on the front speaker situation? The kickpanels, and the "cetrapod" idea. One or both?

Do i need some speakers for the rear for "fill"? I dont want to mount them in the panels and not sure i want a speaker box or two cluttering up the area but that might be the only option.

The system for my '70 worked out great..but I'm kinda in a dilemma on my '72.....
it has the retro-look head unit in dash...and there are holes in the doors from a PO....
but I just bought new CST side trim panels and I'm not really down with the idea of cutting holes in them right off the bat....
I've been toying with the idea of a sub under the back seat like my '70 and perhaps some 4x6 3 way speakers mounted in some enclosures under there as well..???

SeventyOne 02-07-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1971Blazer (Post 8460804)
The system for my '70 worked out great..but I'm kinda in a dilemma on my '72.....
it has the retro-look head unit in dash...and there are holes in the doors from a PO....
but I just bought new CST side trim panels and I'm not really down with the idea of cutting holes in them right off the bat....
I've been toying with the idea of a sub under the back seat like my '70 and perhaps some 4x6 3 way speakers mounted in some enclosures under there as well..???

Yeah ok this is more where I am. Bought new CST panels. No way I'm cutting them lol.

Got a pic of your underseat sub? I thought about speakers under the rear seat also like you mention but...will they sound ok?

A1971Blazer 02-07-2019 02:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 8460808)
Yeah ok this is more where I am. Bought new CST panels. No way I'm cutting them lol.

Got a pic of your underseat sub? I thought about speakers under the rear seat also like you mention but...will they sound ok?

A couple of pics:

this is one of the spacers I put in to raise the back seat 1"...just drilled the same holes as the seat bracket and used longer fasteners
Attachment 1873250

This is a picture of the sub box from the back...
I also raised the rear brackets and moved the seat back 5" as well...I used some channel for brackets...
makes much more leg room for rear passengers...
the little tab on the side is for a screw to fasten the sub box..but I never put one in..

I used a Kicker 10" sub and a low profile box...I still had to mill the top of the box to let the sub go in low enough to clear...
Attachment 1873251

SeventyOne 02-07-2019 03:00 PM

Pretty slick i like it.

Green Monster 02-11-2019 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1971Blazer (Post 8460422)

A1971Blazer;

Do you have any photos of the bracket modification to the slider under the driver seat that you can share with us?

Although you have an amp mounted in that location, I have a Kicker Hideaway sub/amp combination that I am considering installing in the base of console if I cannot get it to fit under the driver seat. The driver seat is my preferred location if I can get it to fit with slight modification.

A1971Blazer 02-11-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Monster (Post 8463415)
A1971Blazer;

Do you have any photos of the bracket modification to the slider under the driver seat that you can share with us?

Although you have an amp mounted in that location, I have a Kicker Hideaway sub/amp combination that I am considering installing in the base of console if I cannot get it to fit under the driver seat. The driver seat is my preferred location if I can get it to fit with slight modification.

Sorry...I usually forget to take pictures....
The rod that connects the sliders from one side to the other was in the way....
I took the little brackets that it hooks to on each side, cut the section where the rod hooks in and made a little extension piece that would raise it up about ¾" and tig welded them back on the original piece.
That gave just enough room for it to clear the amp...and still be able to slide the seat

Green Monster 02-11-2019 11:42 PM

Excellent explanation! Great idea and thank you for sharing.

SeventyOne 05-29-2020 08:40 PM

Bringing back my old thread from a year ago. I'm finally at the point with my blazer to actually get some sound system installed!

I love what's already been discussed but perhaps there's some new ideas from folks out there?

Once I make some decisions I'll post up pics of my audio selections and installation.

harrisoncole4 05-29-2020 09:20 PM

An idea i had was to take a few reproduction bed fuel filler covers and modify them so that they could house two speakers forward of the rear seat and a sub across from the fuel filler. This would give it a stockish look.

The only downside is that i would also like to run cst panels at the back and i don't know if i could bring myself to cut holes in them, even if it was done professionally.I have seen perforated material with a speaker behind it so perhaps it could be done that way.

OldCreek 05-30-2020 11:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I use a Tuffy center console security box with a head unit in it. I also have Tuffy 6x9 boxes in front of the wheel wells. They are wedged between the roll bar and wall and velcroed to the wall. I have a 8” sub/amp combo velcroed to the floor under the rear seat. (Quality and sound of sub not great but it works for me)

All this allows me to lightly hose out the interior when needed. The rear 6x9 provide lots of sound. I’ve got 6x9 in the front doors but you have to be careful with rattles.

You can see the rear speakers are slightly aimed towards the fronts as the boxes are wedge shaped. They don't rattle at all. They are velcroed but could probably be screwed into the wall if necessary.

NDM 02-09-2023 05:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Pics will be posted in an edit.
My stereo is as follows. keep in mind that I have been into sound quality audio systems for decades. My setup is still in progress though but may capture the interest of some here. Some will think that it is over the top.

Note-that all equipment is placed in secure areas that are bolted too the vehicle. Every thing is covered and protected from any exposure to rain and sticky fingers. I have taken great efforts to protect my gear!

Head unit- 11.6 inch Joying android
-Installed without cutting the dash as most folks do. (creative engineering:D!)
-Running coax digital to processor
-cupholder universal volume control

Processor-Helix DSP Pro
-Coax input
-RCA output to Amps

Amps- 4 JL audio HD600/4, HD1200/1 (two of each)
1-Front Tweeters and Front midranges (150watts x4)
2-Front Midbass and unused channels 3&4 (150 watts x4)
3-Front subw (1200watts x1)
4-Rear sub (1200watts x1)

Tweeters- Audiofrog GB10 in kickpanel
midrange-Audiofrog GB25 in kickpanel
Midbass- JLaudio Zr800-cw in kickpanel
Front subs- Stereo Integrity BM12 MKV down firing in console area
Rear sub- JBL W15GTImkii in ported enclosure tuned to 27Hz

Changes that will be coming-
- I will likely get a smaller amp for the front subs or power them off of the unused rear channels of the HD600/4and add my second ported JBL 15inch. The front subs are there for impact the rear subs will be there for the low end extension and for when the top is off. Top off means that you drastically reduce the output due to no cabin gain. The ported subs will be able to overcome this issue.

All building materials will be resistant to moisture and rot so only Baltic Birch, Birch, and PVC sheets will be used due to the fact that the summer usually means that the top is off most of the time. (Absolutely no MDF because of moisture)

Everything is tuned through the DSP software and with RTA (real time analyzer) with microphones. The initial install sounds amazing but I have extensive sound deadening to do in the spring because the Blazer is a rattle trap with all that power. Sound deadening will consist of the following.

metal
-Lizardskin sound control treatment
-Lizardskin insulation control treatment
-Raptor liner for the topcoat
-Mass loaded vinyl sandwiched between closed cell foam

-Lizardskin sound control treatment
-Lizardskin insulation control treatment
-Raptor liner for the topcoat in the outside of the top (maybe inside too)
-3m Thinsulate
-closed cell foam headliner (moisture resistant)
-Suede upholstery

Stay tuned for pictures.
Sorry for geeking out on all of you but any "Audio guys" will get it. I have been building audio systems for 30 years and for many years I did it professionally. I make considerably more money now in a different field. More money for toys.

Test photo
Attachment 2257811

Attachment 2257813

Attachment 2257814

Attachment 2257815

_

truckster 02-09-2023 06:34 PM

I just installed a new sound system in my Blazer. It's 2 1/2" stainless steel with 14 inch Magnaflows for the bass kicker.

NDM 02-09-2023 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 9176926)
I just installed a new sound system in my Blazer. It's 2 1/2" stainless steel with 14 inch Magnaflows for the bass kicker.

Nice but I will also be putting in a L8t 6.6 liter with a 6l90e. The motor will be also piped to a 3 inch full tig welded 304SS exhaust with H pipe feeding 14" magnaflows.

My 76 regal has this same sound system but with a 6 liter and that bad boy rocks!!

Oh and I forgot, after the bank account fills back up post swap, Both the Regal and the Blazer are getting blowers for some extra cherry on top.

hemi43 02-10-2023 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDM (Post 9176969)
Nice but I will also be putting in a L8t 6.6 liter with a 6l90e. The motor will be also piped to a 3 inch full tig welded 304SS exhaust with H pipe feeding 14" magnaflows.

My 76 regal has this same sound system but with a 6 liter and that bad boy rocks!!

Oh and I forgot, after the bank account fills back up post swap, Both the Regal and the Blazer are getting blowers for some extra cherry on top.

6.6 in a Blazer? If you have any lift, it's gonna bite you real quick. Blazers don't handle like a Regal.

NDM 02-13-2023 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 9177203)
6.6 in a Blazer? If you have any lift, it's gonna bite you real quick. Blazers don't handle like a Regal.

My 4x4 is going 2wd at the time of the swap. If I choose to keep 4x4, I have seen LSA supercharged K5 lifted Blazers that look to handle just fine. No mater what way I go, suspension mods will be happening.

The 2wd will be either lifted with 88 c10 spindles and my 84 C20 crossmember or lowered using spindles and double adjustable coilovers with a custom 4 link in the rear. I am struggling to figure out which one I really want to do. Lite prerunner style vs low autocross style????

Truth be told, I am honestly just tired of the constant leaks everywhere with the 4x4. My swapped Regal does not drop a drip of fluid. My poor paver driveway and garage floor has all sorts of oils everywhere from the Blazer.

hemi43 02-13-2023 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDM (Post 9178007)
My 4x4 is going 2wd at the time of the swap. If I choose to keep 4x4, I have seen LSA supercharged K5 lifted Blazers that look to handle just fine. No mater what way I go, suspension mods will be happening.

The 2wd will be either lifted with 88 c10 spindles and my 84 C20 crossmember or lowered using spindles and double adjustable coilovers with a custom 4 link in the rear. I am struggling to figure out which one I really want to do. Lite prerunner style vs low autocross style????

Truth be told, I am honestly just tired of the constant leaks everywhere with the 4x4. My swapped Regal does not drop a drip of fluid. My poor paver driveway and garage floor has all sorts of oils everywhere from the Blazer.

Looking forward to seeing it.
I mentioned that because I have a 5.3 in my Blazer and have the suspension is dialed in perfectly, but the last thing I would want is more power. I have never had my truck out of control, but with a 2" lift and 33's I know for a fact that I need to respect it or else things could go bad real quick. The biggest problem is the 104" wheelbase that unfortunately can't be modified.
With 2WD and lower profile tires you'll be fine.