The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   66 bench re upholstery questions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=759997)

msg 03-23-2018 03:00 PM

66 bench re upholstery questions

3 Attachment(s)
I am looking to redo the bench seat in my 66 and wanted to see if I can do this myself. I will also get some local quotes from upholstery shops.

As I am tearing apart whats there I have wondered if anyone who has been through this before could give me some pointers on the following...
  1. Replacing back rest springs- the ones that are on the back rest that are crossed. I have a few that are broken that need replacing and not sure where to pick them up
  2. Replacement foam - I was hoping to start new and not reuse the old smelly stuff thats there. Where to buy it? Do I need that cottony looking stuff as well?
  3. White covers- Has anyone found any all white bench covers? I was looking to go with this type cover but in all white. https://www.classicparts.com/1960-66...nfo/28-611MG/#

Heres the pics of what Im seeing as I tear it down

The Rocknrod 03-23-2018 03:22 PM

Re: 66 bench re upholstery questions

Here is a guy who posted just today seat covers he can make any color for you - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=759981
Here is a company for supplies - http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/
And you look at my sig area you can find the seat bottom foam.
The seat back is just flat foam.

msg 03-23-2018 04:04 PM

Thanks Rocknrod! Great info in those links, I didnt know my seat was a deluxe. Very cool.

In your post you had this link
https://www.tuckersparts.com/67-68-C...ion-only..html

Its listed as a 67-68. I would hope it would fit.
Yours is a 64 right, is that pic your bench foam comparison?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 7754569)

The Rocknrod 03-23-2018 04:37 PM

Yes that is old and new foam for 64 with deluxe full foam seat.
The aftermarket sellers didnt get my memo yet. :lol:

pimpston65 03-23-2018 05:08 PM

how’s the the bottom cover? Id like to use it for a pattern, I’d pay for shipping and such.

Pinchecharlie 03-23-2018 06:20 PM

I have one but my trucks a 65 and I have no idea if it is original or what. It is plenty good for a pattern though as what's torn isn't to critical and the patterns are mirrors so it would work. I'll send you pictures if you want. I made a couple of seat cover patterns from scratch. It's not hard but takes a long time for me anyway. Hard parts buying a servo motor sewing machine. I have a Craigslist clutch motor walking foot and it's a real bitc@ to keep straight. I paid 200 for it and it's collecting dust in my shop.

Op Google upholstery springs and you get a few reasonable options. You can buy just about anything you want. The new school doesn't use the cotton blanket stuff but stuff called "skrim foam" and that grey blue composite looking blanket stuff (forgot the name)you can get it too but it's easiest to find at a upholstery shop to buy it from so you don't have to buy bulk. I am planning on first layer burlap then foam then having 1/2 inch skrim foam sewed Into the cover. It will cost more maybe but it really makes it better. Upholstery is expensive as crap. Foams expensive as crap and the guys who are good are expensive as crap. The guy posted above is really nice and he quoted me 325 for a nicer grade vinyl and is 6 weeks out but that's for a very basic tuck and roll one color cover . Hope that helps

pimpston65 03-23-2018 07:24 PM

65 and 66 are not the same. i have made covers for my 65 with my singer walking foot. great machine easy on the pedal thou.

msg 03-23-2018 08:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The bottom cover has a split, and wouldnt be an original. In fact as I took off the bracket that mounts to the bench there was a small swatch pinned underneath..i assume its the original color silver?

msg 03-23-2018 08:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Seat foam was repaired, and a different number stamped on it.

pimpston65 03-23-2018 08:35 PM

should looks nice once ur done. yeah that little piece wont help me. i have a few other covers from 66, but i could alway use more...

TKCR 03-23-2018 08:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Check this place:

https://www.usa1industries.com/home.php?cat=1076

I rebuild & restore seats. Something that I use is jute padding. It helps build up the foam, if you use your original foam. This is on a 81-87 seat. The Blue seat is an earlier year.

Macdaddy1 03-23-2018 09:04 PM

I am in the process of redoing my seat on my 65. Where is a good place to by the seat foam? I have read on other blogs that they have used mattress memory foam. What do you think?

Pat

mongocanfly 03-23-2018 09:14 PM

I took my bench to a upholstery shop...they replaced all foam and padding and made the all new cover....cost was $305...

TKCR 03-23-2018 09:16 PM

Here's a rebuild kit for the seat back

http://www.classictruck.com/category...y_Seat_Padding

TKCR 03-23-2018 09:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by msg (Post 8219734)
Thanks Rocknrod! Great info in those links, I didnt know my seat was a deluxe. Very cool.

In your post you had this link
https://www.tuckersparts.com/67-68-C...ion-only..html

Its listed as a 67-68. I would hope it would fit.
Yours is a 64 right, is that pic your bench foam comparison?

Did you happen to get measurements on the seat bottom foam? It sure looks identical to the 73-80 full foam.

msg 03-23-2018 11:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie (Post 8219819)

Op Google upholstery springs and you get a few reasonable options. You can buy just about anything you want. The new school doesn't use the cotton blanket stuff but stuff called "skrim foam" and that grey blue composite looking blanket stuff (forgot the name)you can get it too but it's easiest to find at a upholstery shop to buy it from so you don't have to buy bulk. I am planning on first layer burlap then foam then having 1/2 inch skrim foam sewed Into the cover. It will cost more maybe but it really makes it better. Upholstery is expensive as crap. Foams expensive as crap and the guys who are good are expensive as crap. The guy posted above is really nice and he quoted me 325 for a nicer grade vinyl and is 6 weeks out but that's for a very basic tuck and roll one color cover . Hope that helps

Thanks Pinchecharlie for the info!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8219945)
I took my bench to a upholstery shop...they replaced all foam and padding and made the all new cover....cost was $305...

How did it all turn out? Any pics?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8219959)
Did you happen to get measurements on the seat bottom foam? It sure looks identical to the 73-80 full foam.

Thanks TKCR for the info youve posted, here are the measurements on the bottom foam I pulled. The width of the indented/wedged in section from underneath is 51 inches. The width of the portion that overhangs on each side is 3.5 inches.

msg 03-23-2018 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The front to back width on the underside is around 16.75 inches..it slopes so its kinda hard to measure.

msg 03-23-2018 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and the front faces thickness is around 4.5 inches

The Rocknrod 03-24-2018 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msg (Post 8219898)
Seat foam was repaired, and a different number stamped on it.

I couldn't find that number on the GM parts Wiki, that's not to say it's not there I'm just a novice at it. :)

TKCR 03-24-2018 07:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the measurements. I wrote them all down. I have all my seats at a storage place, I ran out of room in my garage. I'll get over there sometime this weekend and measure one. I'll post back with the results.

TKCR 03-25-2018 03:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are the measurements on the foam.

msg 03-25-2018 06:52 PM

Thanks for the pics TKCR, the foam you have does look pretty similar but if Im reading the measurements right in the pics the overall length looks to be about 4 inches smaller. Looks like the pic you have shows 55 inches total width where the one Ive pulled is 59 full length. The indented portion length is an inch or two shorter as well, looks like you have 49.5 inches and the one ive pulled is 51.5 inches. At a glance they do look real close though. Maybe these chunks of foam all vary especially once they get pulled and start relaxing.

TKCR 03-25-2018 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by msg (Post 8221551)
Thanks for the pics TKCR, the foam you have does look pretty similar but if Im reading the measurements right in the pics the overall length looks to be about 4 inches smaller. Looks like the pic you have shows 55 inches total width where the one Ive pulled is 59 full length. The indented portion length is an inch or two shorter as well, looks like you have 49.5 inches and the one ive pulled is 51.5 inches. At a glance they do look real close though. Maybe these chunks of foam all vary especially once they get pulled and start relaxing.

I probably should have measured at the back and the front. I only measured the back. The back is more narrow than the front. It widens at the very front, where it rounds on the front corners.
It was cold and windy, and I was trying to hurry. It's supposed to warm up this week. I'll go back over or bring one back to the house and get better overall measurements.
We can also measure the frame.