The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Are You 100% Obedient Of All Laws? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=768200)

special-K 07-25-2018 10:09 AM

Are You 100% Obedient Of All Laws?

I'll start with my answer... NO! I'm no outlaw, I obey laws where it protects the rights of others and such, but holy cow there is some ridiculous crap on the books we are expected to obey. I honestly believe if everyone who reads this is perfectly honest their answer will also be NO!

My intention here is for a fun thread for members to list some of the hard to abide by laws out there. I just heard this one yesterday and that's what gave me the idea...

In Hanover, PA you will get a $75 fine for leaving the hitch in your receiver when not in use. Seems more an excuse to rob citizens of their money than protect people who don't look where they are going when they walk too close to someone else's property. The law allows lumber to stick a few feet past the bumper, so why not the hitch? I wonder if outboards have to be removed from boats while on the trailer.

truckster 07-25-2018 11:24 AM

Re: Are You 100% Obedient Of All Laws?

Those rectangular white signs with black numbers on them next to the highway are just suggestions, right?

Palf70Step 07-25-2018 11:37 AM

I'm with special-K. :D
Oh yeah, that white sign is just a suggestion :lol:

Steeveedee 07-25-2018 11:37 AM

Of course not. Where safety is concerned, I'm pretty good, but for a victimless crime like 70 *cough 75* in a 65 speed zone, I have no qualms, if it is going with the flow. Don't be the lone pigeon! I make complete stops for stop signs, even when I could still ride my bicycle. I drive 55 MPH on the freeway in my truck, even if I'm not towing the trailer. The fuel consumption goes way up if I do more than 55.

greentruck 07-25-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 8308520)
Those rectangular white signs with black numbers on them next to the highway are just suggestions, right?

Yup, I drive an hour and a half one way to get to work each day. On my stretch of I95 I would literally get run over if I followed the suggestions.

truckster 07-25-2018 11:47 AM

Here's another crazy one from my city: You're not supposed to repair cars in your driveway. Yep, the city says you can't repair cars in your driveway, but fortunately they're not too strict on enforcement. They did make me move my Blazer when I pulled the front clip, though.

67ChevyRedneck 07-25-2018 11:56 AM

Most "dumb" laws are based on people being a nuisance, and as special K mentioned, as an income generator when need be. If random people do it (like work on a car in their driveway) for a couple days at a time every once in a while, no one is going to care. If you have a neighbor that has their 68 Nova torn down in front of their house for 4 months it gives the city/town an option to fine or ticket them.

special-K 07-25-2018 12:12 PM

In the same town the guy I was talking to said he got fined $100 for parking in front of his house with one tire up on the curb. I mean, it's best not to do that, but if you can leave a ticket you can just leave a note ordering it moved with a warning, next time fine. It's just so straight to the money in a harassing way to the citizens. Enforcing such picky little laws like that makes it feel a bit creepy to know they are looking so hard at such things. And there are certainly plenty of bigger fish to fry swimming freely. Maybe they expect to make a big drug bust, save a kidnapped child, or foil a terrorist plot through such ticketing :cool:

Stocker 07-25-2018 12:38 PM

Many years ago my Grandad parked his car on the street in front of his house, blocking his own driveway. Town cop ticketed him, not allowed to block driveways.

I obey most laws but have been known to fudge a bit if it's safe. I'm usually within 5 mph of the posted limit, sometimes a bit more. I don't see that as a crime.

Can't discharge a firearm in town. When my new lawn was being destroyed by moles, I tried every trick in the book. Nothing worked. They finally got lead poisoning from my .22 rifle.

I'm sure there's plenty more but that's all I have right now.

Tom 07-25-2018 12:40 PM

I live by this quote, which is not mine.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for what I do"

FleetsidePaul 07-25-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 8308583)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for what I do"

Well said.

LockDoc 07-25-2018 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
-
I follow all rules and laws 100% of the time, no questions asked....

I also promised my wife this would be the last truck I would buy.

Stocker 07-25-2018 03:38 PM

:lol: Leon.... pants on fire!! :lol:

special-K 07-25-2018 04:09 PM

The question is, do you obey your wife 100% all the time. I don't need an answer (as if any fool would post that on the internet :lol:).

I don't know how they expect people to know some of these dreamed up laws exist to be obeying them in the first place. This guy that got a ticket for his hitch (mine stays full-time, always has and that's a long time) in this PA town is from MD with MD tags and they ticketed him anyway.

So there I am in that town, my hitch in the receiver as always, finding out I ain't nothin' but an outlaw come blazing his sinister path into this poor little town with his not in use 2" ball all hanging out the rear threatening the shins of the poor innocent citizens who dare to walk so close around the rear of my evil steed :lol:. I high-tailed it out of town and didn't slow down till I crossed the state line. They ain't never gonna catch me!!

Steeveedee 07-25-2018 04:45 PM

[Taking careful notes in order to alert the Maryland State Patrol to BOLO for hitch ball]

I'll agree, that's a pretty lame ordnance. I've never been cited for parking in front of my own driveway. One of my sons and I were changing an engine in the street, and one of the local police stopped by to chat. I asked if we were breaking the law, and he said no. Then he tried to sell us some parts! :lol: I took his home number, but he quit the force before I got back to him. :(

special-K 07-25-2018 05:35 PM

I'm out of town, but my town doesn't have a police force. We have Resident Troopers and back in the '90s we had Rusty Herman... I mean Sgt Herman of The Maryland State Troopers. He had a couple 67-72s and was always trying to get me to sell him some doors. I'd see the cruiser pull in the driveway and it was "What now?", only to have him get out to talk trucks. I miss good old Rusty. He was good all for the community all around. A cool cop.

flashed 07-25-2018 06:54 PM

Nope , I break a few .

100%Chevy 07-25-2018 07:00 PM

I haven't been caught breaking the law!
So,I'm legal!:lol:
Mike.:chevy:

Boog 07-25-2018 07:05 PM

As to the topic question. In a word, No. ;)
You know, local cops can be a good bird dog for ya. I mean, they drive down alleys and back streets that you might not travel and they might see things of interest that you don't. For example truck, car and motorcycle parts. Know what I mean?

special-K 07-25-2018 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 8308582)
Many years ago my Grandad parked his car on the street in front of his house, blocking his own driveway. Town cop ticketed him, not allowed to block driveways.

I obey most laws but have been known to fudge a bit if it's safe. I'm usually within 5 mph of the posted limit, sometimes a bit more. I don't see that as a crime.

Can't discharge a firearm in town. When my new lawn was being destroyed by moles, I tried every trick in the book. Nothing worked. They finally got lead poisoning from my .22 rifle.

I'm sure there's plenty more but that's all I have right now.

Shooting moles is one thing, shooting birds is another. Did any neighbors come by to ask you to shoot theirs?

yuccales 07-25-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 8308583)

I really like this!

special-K 07-25-2018 07:21 PM

In a neighboring county you are not allowed to leave a trailer of any kind unhitched on any public street at all. My friend has a nice travel trailer he takes his family vacations in. He pulled in front of his daughter's place to prep and pack, ended up needing to run out for something so he unhitched. When he got back a cop was there writing him up.

Stocker 07-25-2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8308866)
Shooting moles is one thing, shooting birds is another. Did any neighbors come by to ask you to shoot theirs?

Their moles or their birds? Gotta be more specific, Tim. :lol:

Several years ago there was a rabid skunk shot in the alley right across from our house. Luckily, I wasn't the shooter so I didn't have to deal with the corpse.

Stocker 07-25-2018 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8308877)
In a neighboring county you are not allowed to leave a trailer of any kind unhitched on any public street at all. My friend has a nice travel trailer he takes his family vacations in. He pulled in front of his daughter's place to prep and pack, ended up needing to run out for something so he unhitched. When he got back a cop was there writing him up.

Oh, that's bad right there. Anyplace with laws like that is a place where I would never want to live.

Steeveedee 07-25-2018 07:37 PM

Breaking the Law (SFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L397TWLwrUU