The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hard to steer when breaking (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=766707)

UTSA 07-02-2018 01:57 PM

Hard to steer when breaking

Right after I rebuilt my front suspension with new power steering and power brakes (Drum/Drum) I’ve noticed that it’s hard to steer my truck when I’m coming to a stop or slowing down. I did not do hydroboost so that is out of the question.

For example: going 30mph and when I need to turn into a driveway, I’ll start slowing down and when I’m at a decent turning speed and still have the foot on the brake pedal, the steering wheel will be really really hard to turn. As soon as I let go of the brake, it turns smoothly.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the brake pads in the front drums or maybe I let something loose on the suspension...what do y’all think?

The Rocknrod 07-02-2018 03:02 PM

Re: Hard to steer when breaking

I'm voting on something loose in the suspension/bearings, after that brake pads/drums. I'd get it up on safety jacks and check for "any" play in the steering (box or links) then your wheel bearings, brake pads, drums.
Besides it will give you confidence.

padresag 07-02-2018 04:49 PM

does it pull to one way at all when you apply the brakes. it may be a brake hose giving you a problem
ron

BR3W CITY 07-03-2018 10:57 AM

Are you running hydroboost? Its a semi common symptom when first setup.

UTSA 07-03-2018 06:17 PM

I took a look under and my center link is too close to the subframe that is right under the enfine. I’ll take a closer look today and see if that is what has been running and keep y’all updated.

If it is that, then I have a feeling the wheels travel back jusr slightly so that the center link touches the subframe and makes steering difficult. Because as soon as I let go, it’s back to normall.

UTSA 07-03-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padresag (Post 8293012)
does it pull to one way at all when you apply the brakes. it may be a brake hose giving you a problem
ron

It does not pull any direction. I thought of this but that would be if one side of my drums is tighter than the other. I do have my rear brakes lock up but that was expected...i have no weight in the back and i need to loosen them up jusr a bit.

padresag 07-03-2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UTSA (Post 8293726)
It does not pull any direction. I thought of this but that would be if one side of my drums is tighter than the other. I do have my rear brakes lock up but that was expected...i have no weight in the back and i need to loosen them up jusr a bit.

brake hose can cause problem on 1 side and on the side that is problematic. if the hose becomes soft on the inside and collapses
ron
most of those centre links are close to begin with

karlbenz 07-08-2018 05:49 PM

make sure them rear drums are adjusted and working good. I had that issue when I first got mine

modes 07-10-2018 03:00 PM

"as soon as I let of the brake pedal" as in hit the gas again? Then I would say the steering pump is turning to slow at idle (on the brakes) to assist the turning properly.

Adam

damnyankee36 07-10-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modes (Post 8298525)
"as soon as I let of the brake pedal" as in hit the gas again? Then I would say the steering pump is turning to slow at idle (on the brakes) to assist the turning properly.

Adam

X2. When you turn the wheel with the brakes off the wheels are free to turn on the spindles. With the brakes on the tires scrub the pavement putting a load on the power steering pump.

UTSA 07-14-2018 10:00 PM

Update, there’s no suspension linkage rubbing anywhere.

I did notice the other day, leaving through a steep driveway, it seemed to also be stiff to move the steering wheel.

So my next thing to do, is to drive the truck up a curb or something where the wheels will all be different elevations. Then crawl under while someone tries to steer it and see what is happening.

Any other theories y’all have jusr send them my way.

bama63 07-15-2018 05:53 PM

ball joint binding?