The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Complete carpet kits (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=726816)

Hart_Rod 01-07-2017 06:48 PM

Complete carpet kits

Where are you guys getting them? Who makes the best setup? TIA

68c10airstream 01-07-2017 07:55 PM

Re: Complete carpet kits

I remember in the late 70's (before the internet) I did some research and ACC (auto custom carpets) out of Anniston Alabama was the best and I believe supplied to the big three. I called them at the time for a molded carpet set for a 67 chevy II v8 4 speed no console wagon (very rare) and they were honest enough to tell me they didn't have a floor mold yet to make the carpet. Obviously some other vender had the contract at the time and never figured it out but got ACC to send carpet samples and I was impressed with color match and quality compared to my friend's gm cars at the time.

paul mora 01-07-2017 11:11 PM

Rob,
I usually go to Classic Industries for most parts. I live about a mile away so I don't pay for shipping. If you go to the website it is confusing cab does not include all the cargo. The cargo photos show the whole kit. If you need me to go there and look and inspect and could help you out text photos or get questions answered.

Paul

Hart_Rod 01-09-2017 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68c10airstream (Post 7817921)
I remember in the late 70's (before the internet) I did some research and ACC (auto custom carpets) out of Anniston Alabama was the best and I believe supplied to the big three. I called them at the time for a molded carpet set for a 67 chevy II v8 4 speed no console wagon (very rare) and they were honest enough to tell me they didn't have a floor mold yet to make the carpet. Obviously some other vender had the contract at the time and never figured it out but got ACC to send carpet samples and I was impressed with color match and quality compared to my friend's gm cars at the time.

Thanks! I've used there rubber floor mats before and they are pretty good compared to some that I have seen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul mora (Post 7818181)
Rob,
I usually go to Classic Industries for most parts. I live about a mile away so I don't pay for shipping. If you go to the website it is confusing cab does not include all the cargo. The cargo photos show the whole kit. If you need me to go there and look and inspect and could help you out text photos or get questions answered.

Paul

How did they wear and fit? I'll check their website. Thanks Paul.

Hart_Rod 01-09-2017 09:29 AM

I found this on rockauto.com:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...,flooring,1264

The three I'm looking at:

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/cat...t=1&isajax=yes

I think it's ACC. Price looks pretty good.

nastety92 01-09-2017 10:31 AM

I purchased a complete carpet kit from this place and they sell ACC carpets. Their prices seem to be the cheapest around. They told me the carpets they sell are directly drop shipped from ACC. The carpet for my GMC Typhoon seemed very nice, I never got to install it though, I sold the truck to buy my Suburban.

http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCa...47&ModelId=480

Hart_Rod 01-09-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nastety92 (Post 7820314)
I purchased a complete carpet kit from this place and they sell ACC carpets. Their prices seem to be the cheapest around. They told me the carpets they sell are directly drop shipped from ACC. The carpet for my GMC Typhoon seemed very nice, I never got to install it though, I sold the truck to buy my Suburban.

http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCa...47&ModelId=480

I think Rockauto is cheaper once you add the super plush and the mass backing. Looks to be about $300 cheaper.

nastety92 01-09-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 7820352)
I think Rockauto is cheaper once you add the super plush and the mass backing. Looks to be about $300 cheaper.

Nice. Might as well go with whatever is cheaper. They all seem to be coming from ACC anyway. The place I linked to sent me samples and was very easy to deal with anyway.

Good luck, looking forward to watching you finish that truck.

Nick

Hart_Rod 01-09-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nastety92 (Post 7820361)
Nice. Might as well go with whatever is cheaper. They all seem to be coming from ACC anyway. The place I linked to sent me samples and was very easy to deal with anyway.

Good luck, looking forward to watching you finish that truck.

Nick

Correction on the price, I originally had the full kit. It's about $100 cheaper through rockauto.com when buying the passenger area.

notchbackgta 01-18-2017 08:13 PM

I got the ACC Essex carpet with the mass backing and I bought it through Rock Auto. My only complaint is that the edge welting, or what ever you want to call it, is crooked on a lot of the edges and the two wheel tub covers are the same piece, there should be a RH/LH, but I think I got two of the same. One fits really well and the other doesn't. I never got around to calling them since I didn't finish my interior yet. The actual carpet is SUPER plush and the mass backing helps add another layer of sound deadening though.

Hart_Rod 01-18-2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notchbackgta (Post 7830753)
I got the ACC Essex carpet with the mass backing and I bought it through Rock Auto. My only complaint is that the edge welting, or what ever you want to call it, is crooked on a lot of the edges and the two wheel tub covers are the same piece, there should be a RH/LH, but I think I got two of the same. One fits really well and the other doesn't. I never got around to calling them since I didn't finish my interior yet. The actual carpet is SUPER plush and the mass backing helps add another layer of sound deadening though.

Can you post a picture of the edge welting that you are talking about?

notchbackgta 01-18-2017 10:32 PM

Hmmm, that would require me remembering where I put the wheel tub pieces...

LockDoc 01-19-2017 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notchbackgta (Post 7830753)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 7830768)
Can you post a picture of the edge welting that you are talking about?

I think the trim around the edge is called the binding.

LockDoc

vectorit 01-24-2017 08:54 PM

I started with a cheaper carpet kit many years ago, and have forgotten who I got it from. With the first kit, the color easily faded.

Second kit, I got from www.stockinteriors.com and got the Mass backing option. Being that my burb has a lot of interior noise, I wanted every bit of sound proofing I could get.
Very happy with the color being good to stand up to the hot sun, and the fit was very good. Only gripe I have is that the back edge on the middle section is not hemmed, so you see an un hemmed section at the base of the step up into the cargo area.

Over all, I recommend this kit to everyone even with the section not being hemmed. I guess if it bothered me enough, I could take that section to a shop to get it hemmed up nice.

Hart_Rod 01-26-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vectorit (Post 7837136)
I started with a cheaper carpet kit many years ago, and have forgotten who I got it from. With the first kit, the color easily faded.

Second kit, I got from www.stockinteriors.com and got the Mass backing option. Being that my burb has a lot of interior noise, I wanted every bit of sound proofing I could get.
Very happy with the color being good to stand up to the hot sun, and the fit was very good. Only gripe I have is that the back edge on the middle section is not hemmed, so you see an un hemmed section at the base of the step up into the cargo area.

Over all, I recommend this kit to everyone even with the section not being hemmed. I guess if it bothered me enough, I could take that section to a shop to get it hemmed up nice.

Thanks for the information. I plan on ordering mine in the next week.

Hart_Rod 01-27-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vectorit (Post 7837136)

I got it ordered and it should be here next week. Couple of quick question, how far up the firewall does the carpet go? Did you use any upholstery glue to hold it in place? Thanks Rob

PS Did you build your own headliner?

72MARIO 01-28-2017 10:14 PM

Rob I sent you a few pitcure thru facebook messanger yesterday of my ACC kit amd the areas that should be address and corrected for your build

FASTDYNA 01-30-2017 08:52 AM

bought my ACC kit through Rock Auto

Hart_Rod 01-30-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72MARIO (Post 7841271)
Rob I sent you a few pitcure thru facebook messanger yesterday of my ACC kit amd the areas that should be address and corrected for your build

Thanks Mario!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FASTDYNA (Post 7842751)
bought my ACC kit through Rock Auto

Same here. Should be here this week.

vectorit 02-09-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 7840190)
I got it ordered and it should be here next week. Couple of quick question, how far up the firewall does the carpet go? Did you use any upholstery glue to hold it in place? Thanks Rob

PS Did you build your own headliner?

Hi Rob,
The carpet does not go up as far as I'd like on the fire wall, so I painted the exposed area black so the shiny aluminum from the Dynamat doesn't catch your eye so much.
I didn't use any contact cement, the carpet with the MAS backing is pretty heavy so it lays down nice.
I did build my own headliner with FRP. There is an old thread of mine out there, and I think you found it :)

Hart_Rod 02-09-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vectorit (Post 7853449)
Hi Rob,
The carpet does not go up as far as I'd like on the fire wall, so I painted the exposed area black so the shiny aluminum from the Dynamat doesn't catch your eye so much.
I didn't use any contact cement, the carpet with the MAS backing is pretty heavy so it lays down nice.
I did build my own headliner with FRP. There is an old thread of mine out there, and I think you found it :)

I think I'm going to purchase some extra carpet at a local upholstery shop and put the carpet further up the firewall. Hopefully that will look ok. I did find the headliner thread. Will be working on it this weekend. Thanks again!

Rob

Hart_Rod 02-11-2017 06:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vectorit (Post 7853449)
Hi Rob,

Probably a dumb question, but does the front piece go over the back piece or vice versa?

Hart_Rod 02-13-2017 12:13 PM

bump

xman 02-15-2017 12:45 PM

Rob
I think the first picture is correct way. That way people in the back seat don't put their feet under the carpet and make it curl up or

Hart_Rod 02-15-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xman (Post 7859747)
Rob
I think the first picture is correct way. That way people in the back seat don't put their feet under the carpet and make it curl up or

Thanks XMAN! That's what I was thinking. The molded part fits better if you do it the other way, but it would look crazy with the seam being exposed like that. I'm curious as to why they make the overlap so large? There's about a foot and a half of wasted carept!?!?! Do you think there would be any problem with shortening the front piece at the rear? I would make it fit a better and be less bulky.