The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=563833)

Xeen 03-05-2016 10:04 PM

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Good luck at Mecum Vic!

Possmguts 03-05-2016 10:29 PM

Thank you for the kind words, I refuse to give up my build. It will be something I will hand down to one of the kids when I kick the bucket. Only problem is, I have 5 of them? Maybe Ill put in the will that the last one standing in a cage match gets it :lol: .. I hate to see anyone selling their toys they worked so hard on, but I wish you the best of luck at the auction on the Ford.

swamp rat 03-06-2016 12:08 AM

Was just thinking about you yesterday wondering how things are, glad to see you posting again! if the Mecum auction is going to be broadcast i would really like to see that episode, if you can give a heads up that would be great!

Vic1947 03-06-2016 11:28 AM

Good to hear from everyone! I've been laying low tending to family matters. My 92 year old dad moved in with us when his wife had to go into a memory care facility and we've been shuttling him back and forth daily to see her. He's pretty low maintenance, but it does alter your routine.

The Ford is scheduled to go across the auction block at Bartle Hall in KC this coming Saturday (the 12th) around 4:30pm, but Mecum makes no guarantees about TV coverage. The time slot is a little later than the one I originally had, so I hope it works out. When I first signed up, I was contacted by a person that wanted to buy the car and asked if I could get out of the auction. You have five days to cancel with no penalty and since I was right at the end of the grace period, I was able to do so. The buyer subsequently backed out, so I had to re-list the car which moved me back another half hour. Last time I looked, there's only about a dozen cars set to go thru after mine, so we're very near the end. We'll see if the bidders still have any cash left that late in the day. ;)

Elliot949 03-06-2016 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 7511498)
Good to hear from everyone! I've been laying low tending to family matters. My 92 year old dad moved in with us when his wife had to go into a memory care facility and we've been shuttling him back and forth daily to see her. He's pretty low maintenance, but it does alter your routine.

The Ford is scheduled to go across the auction block at Bartle Hall in KC this coming Saturday (the 12th) around 4:30pm, but Mecum makes no guarantees about TV coverage. The time slot is a little later than the one I originally had, so I hope it works out. When I first signed up, I was contacted by a person that wanted to buy the car and asked if I could get out of the auction. You have five days to cancel with no penalty and since I was right at the end of the grace period, I was able to do so. The buyer subsequently backed out, so I had to re-list the car which moved me back another half hour. Last time I looked, there's only about a dozen cars set to go thru after mine, so we're very near the end. We'll see if the bidders still have any cash left that late in the day. ;)

I will hope for the best for you... I am praying for a 100 winning bid forcyou... ;-)

Low Elco 03-07-2016 01:40 PM

Good Luck at Mecum!

snipescastle2 03-07-2016 03:29 PM

Good luck Vic!
I heard if you back out of that auction after the grace period,bit's like an $8,000 penalty....:jdp::jdp::jdp::jdp:
Have a good one!
Ben
:metal:

Gus350 03-15-2016 02:01 PM

Looks like this party is about to get started again WhoHoo. :metal:

Elliot949 03-15-2016 04:28 PM

Did the 57 sell?

Possmguts 03-15-2016 10:10 PM

lol.. looks like I drug him back out of the wood work... he has no choice but to get back at it now! :lol:

swamp rat 03-15-2016 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 7523580)
Did the 57 sell?

Yes, check the thread in Alternate Tinkering's.

AKC 03-16-2016 04:04 PM

I am in absolute awe!

I will never be able to approximate the level of skill I have witnessed here.

And I will never complain about the trifles I may encounter with 'Anela...

jwilson645 03-17-2016 04:14 PM

Maybe I missed it but did you ever determine what that hood scoop came off of or was it hand made?

Ol Blue K20 03-17-2016 05:17 PM

Subbed, enjoyed the Ford. Watching here now

Vic1947 03-24-2016 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the posts, guys! My Dad moved in with us about six weeks ago. Last week, he came down with a cough and ended up in the hospital for five days courtesy of congestive heart failure and stage 3 kidney disease. We just got him home Tuesday afternoon and have been busy with home health care and all the little things you need to do when looking after a 92 year old codger. I'm way behind on the thread but the dust is starting to settle so I finally had a chance to jot down a few notes.

The Ford did sell, although I have no idea to whom or where it may have gone. When my truck sold a few years ago, the buyer asked for a contact number, but this time there was no such request. Never know, it may turn up eventually. I'll say this about the experience... the lot number you're assigned isn't representative of where you cross the block. They can insert cars ahead of you using a "point one" numbering system. For example, they may create lot 125.1 between 125 and 126 for a preferred seller. 55 cars went thru ahead of me like that on Saturday, which pushed me back about an hour and 45 minutes. So instead of crossing at 4pm, we went thru after 5:30pm. Makes a difference. The other tidbit is to make sure the auctioneer's desk records any agreement on the sale. They ended up honoring the deal I made on the floor, but it took nearly a week to receive the remainder of the proceeds. My observation is that you may have to speak up to get the same favorable treatment as their regulars.

WRT to the hood bulge, I did some research awhile back and it appears to bear a strong resemblance to a '69 Torino, although I'd swear mine is a bit wider. Could just be the optics.

I'm hoping to move CRLS downstairs into the workshop early next week. Will try to keep everyone posted. Later!

jeh 03-24-2016 08:52 PM

Good to hear from you Vic, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now. I'm sure we all will stay tuned in for more progress on CRLS;)

Elliot949 03-24-2016 09:00 PM

Hey Vic... keep family first.. glad to see you and Kathy are well..Mecum is no different than any other auto auction... So the fact that you got shoved around and moved down the list is Par for the coarse for them... The issue with them jacking you around on "The Floor" agreement is a,low life auction ta tic... seen it a ton of times selling at auctions as a dealer and only the auctions without good integrity pull that crap...

Elliot949 03-26-2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 7534490)
Thanks for all the posts, guys! My Dad moved in with us about six weeks ago. Last week, he came down with a cough and ended up in the hospital for five days courtesy of congestive heart failure and stage 3 kidney disease. We just got him home Tuesday afternoon and have been busy with home health care and all the little things you need to do when looking after a 92 year old codger. I'm way behind on the thread but the dust is starting to settle so I finally had a chance to jot down a few notes.

The Ford did sell, although I have no idea to whom or where it may have gone. When my truck sold a few years ago, the buyer asked for a contact number, but this time there was no such request. Never know, it may turn up eventually. I'll say this about the experience... the lot number you're assigned isn't representative of where you cross the block. They can insert cars ahead of you using a "point one" numbering system. For example, they may create lot 125.1 between 125 and 126 for a preferred seller. 55 cars went thru ahead of me like that on Saturday, which pushed me back about an hour and 45 minutes. So instead of crossing at 4pm, we went thru after 5:30pm. Makes a difference. The other tidbit is to make sure the auctioneer's desk records any agreement on the sale. They ended up honoring the deal I made on the floor, but it took nearly a week to receive the remainder of the proceeds. My observation is that you may have to speak up to get the same favorable treatment as their regulars.

WRT to the hood bulge, I did some research awhile back and it appears to bear a strong resemblance to a '69 Torino, although I'd swear mine is a bit wider. Could just be the optics.

I'm hoping to move CRLS downstairs into the workshop early next week. Will try to keep everyone posted. Later!

Hey Vic... I actually think the hood center is probably from a Ford Maverick or maybe it's sister car the Mercury Comet...

Vic1947 03-26-2016 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 7535867)
Hey Vic... I actually think the hood center is probably from a Ford Maverick or maybe it's sister car the Mercury Comet...

You may be right, Dan. It certainly seems wider than the Torino hood bulge. The only difference I see is that the profile across the front of the Maverick/Grabber hood is more squared off than the one grafted onto mine. (Although there may be variations between years.) But the rest looks very similar. Somewhere out there is a guy that can take one look and say exactly what it is. It just ain't me. ;)

Possmguts 03-26-2016 11:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I dont think it looks like either of those hoods... to me it looks like it may have been a cowl hood that was just cut down... maybe... but then again, it could just be fabricated up from nothing... although it is more similar to the Torino.. neither it or the Maveric are as round in front and the center rise doesn't match either of them, or a C/10 for that matter...

I'll put my money on it being a full fab job... maybe... I'm sure of it... sort of...

Just to share.. this is what I have going on with my hood, getting close to what I want, but Im no fab guy, so its been quite the challenge so far...

michael bustamante 03-26-2016 12:48 PM

that is a nice hood!! subtle but aggressive looking

Low Elco 03-28-2016 01:23 PM

Dude, I'm diggin that hood- been wanting something similar on my square.

Hope your Dad's better, Vic.

Vic1947 03-28-2016 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 7538340)
Dude, I'm diggin that hood- been wanting something similar on my square.

Hope your Dad's better, Vic.

I agree, that is a cool hood mod. Lotsa work!

Pops is doing pretty good all things considered, Chip. Took him to Sedalia today to see his regular doc. Cardio doc appointment tomorrow and then kick back for a week. He should be okay to supervise when we move CRLS downstairs. :metal:

jlsanborn 03-28-2016 10:33 PM

Edge of my seat Vic. Anxious to see how you do up an LS! Props to you for keeping an eye on your Pa too.

Low Elco 03-29-2016 12:33 PM

Good to hear. AS always, you need anything, pick up the phone.