The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   TA_C10: Stage 1 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=770399)

TA_C10 04-15-2022 11:19 AM

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

2 Attachment(s)
So here is the first result from my app driving around before I put these resonators on. Then I used the resonator spreadsheet I found online(from Lawrence Tolman(LT) from his youtube channel, powernation trucktech guy).

I ran several tests and the average number was 116Hz. So I plugged that into the calc. My drone is around 1700 RPM mostly so I used the 35" number for length. I went exactly 35".

TA_C10 04-15-2022 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is the result, the best I could get it. It dropped from -15 to -20 db almost. So the drone is still there, but quieter. I was expecting it to be completely cancelled. If you guys have any suggestions let me know.

I lengthened the pipe with my clamps, playing with several different configurations. I also shortened the pipe by turning the 2" capped end's 180 degree and putting them in the clamps backwards. But that shorted it probably down to like 25-28" and if you look at the spreadsheet, longer should have worked better than shorter. Nothing worked except the original 35" I originally built them to, which the Hz is still the same pretty much, but the db's went down.

I dunno.....

SCOTI 04-15-2022 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 9067261)
And here is the result, the best I could get it. It dropped from -15 to -20 db almost. So the drone is still there, but quieter. I was expecting it to be completely cancelled. If you guys have any suggestions let me know.

I lengthened the pipe with my clamps, playing with several different configurations. I also shortened the pipe by turning the 2" capped end's 180 degree and putting them in the clamps backwards. But that shorted it probably down to like 25-28" and if you look at the spreadsheet, longer should have worked better than shorter. Nothing worked except the original 35" I originally built them to, which the Hz is still the same pretty much, but the db's went down.

I dunno.....

This is exactly what I wondered. Would the ends justify the means? I guess even that (the answer) is subjective. Some might view reduction as a win. Others seeking complete cancellation probably wouldn't.

Are you happy w/it as-is or are you going to keep @ it?

TA_C10 04-15-2022 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 9067265)
This is exactly what I wondered. Would the ends justify the means? I guess even that (the answer) is subjective. Some might view reduction as a win. Others seeking complete cancellation probably wouldn't.

Are you happy w/it as-is or are you going to keep @ it?

I would like to keep at it. It didn't cancel out my drone. I think my design is flawed. Maybe I'm WAY off on the length? I found another spreadsheet from internet that has significantly different results in length of pipe. Check it out below. I plug in my frequency at 114 or 116, and length is saying 10", not 35". Maybe I will try shortening them?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1183590515

SCOTI 04-15-2022 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 9067269)
I would like to keep at it. It didn't cancel out my drone. I think my design is flawed. Maybe I'm WAY off on the length? I found another spreadsheet from internet that has significantly different results in length of pipe. Check it out below. I plug in my frequency at 114 or 116, and length is saying 10", not 35". Maybe I will try shortening them?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1183590515

One of the reasons I suggested a telescoping approach (how do I know which calculation method is more accurate?). Do you have pics of one of your finished pipes?

My thought is still make the 'T' into the main exhaust lines. Weld a 90° turn on the 'T'. Make a short (~3"L) 'end piece'. Use the wrap-around style exhaust clamps (2x clamps @ each assembly so 4x total) to secure varying lengths of pipe between the 90° & the end piece.

What size tubing did you wind up using?

rickcdewitt 04-15-2022 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This might hide the drone?

rickcdewitt 04-15-2022 04:11 PM

Seriously though,i wonder if distance from the motor is an issue? Or if they need to be after the flowmasters to cancel their noise?

TA_C10 04-15-2022 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 9067289)
One of the reasons I suggested a telescoping approach (how do I know which calculation method is more accurate?). Do you have pics of one of your finished pipes?

My thought is still make the 'T' into the main exhaust lines. Weld a 90° turn on the 'T'. Make a short (~3"L) 'end piece'. Use the wrap-around style exhaust clamps (2x clamps @ each assembly so 4x total) to secure varying lengths of pipe between the 90° & the end piece.

Post 1173 shows my final setup. I used the clamps your showing. It allowed me to slide my pipe out about 3" so I can adjust that much. I used 2.5" tubing. Those other tips I made from 3" tubing didn't help.

Yeah I will probably cut it down again too 10" or so and with my 3" adjustability try that new length from the second spreadsheet I found.

TA_C10 04-15-2022 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcdewitt (Post 9067386)
This might hide the drone?

:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcdewitt (Post 9067388)
Seriously though,i wonder if distance from the motor is an issue? Or if they need to be after the flowmasters to cancel their noise?

Everything I read was closer to motor the better. Says the exhaust frequency starts from motor. But if the mufflers are what is changing the note causing the drone then that makes sense. The magnaflow kit with quarter wave resonator built in is installed on the muffler itself, it's on the front of muffler, inlet side, not sure here...

SCOTI 04-15-2022 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 9067440)
Post 1173 shows my final setup. I used the clamps your showing. It allowed me to slide my pipe out about 3" so I can adjust that much. I used 2.5" tubing. Those other tips I made from 3" tubing didn't help.

Yeah I will probably cut it down again too 10" or so and with my 3" adjustability try that new length from the second spreadsheet I found.

Sorry.... Was quickly reading posts while on a break @ work so I couldn't scroll back for the info.

TA_C10 04-17-2022 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 9067289)

oops, I said 2.5" tubing.... I used 2" not 2.5". :mm: