The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Question for Bagged Folks on putting the vehicle on jacks or a lift. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=837490)

smullen 08-23-2022 05:59 PM

Question for Bagged Folks on putting the vehicle on jacks or a lift.

I know pretty much how bags work, parts, concepts, etc...

I'm building a collection of parts now for a future bag job....

I tend to over analyse things I've not had much experience with so please forgive my stupid questions.

IF a truck is bagged and it goes into shop for repairs and they jack it up high enough to work under it, or put it up on a lift, does that put any strain on the bags, or bag suspension system?

Seems like the weight of the Rim/Tire would want to rip them off, if that make sense...

Seen a lot of bagged trucks, but never talked to anyone or seen any measures to prevent issues... I never thought about it till now, when I was researching 4 Links and stuff for the rear.

Ziegelsteinfaust 08-23-2022 06:30 PM

Re: Question for Bagged Folks on putting the vehicle on jacks or a lift.

Limiting straps or set the shocks up to limit travel.

Willie Makeit 08-24-2022 08:37 AM

shock travel is the limiting factor in most systems

SCOTI 08-26-2022 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smullen (Post 9116004)

I tend to over analyse things I've not had much experience with so please forgive my stupid questions.

IF a truck is bagged and it goes into shop for repairs and they jack it up high enough to work under it, or put it up on a lift, does that put any strain on the bags, or bag suspension system?

Seems like the weight of the Rim/Tire would want to rip them off, if that make sense...

Seen a lot of bagged trucks, but never talked to anyone or seen any measures to prevent issues... I never thought about it till now, when I was researching 4 Links and stuff for the rear.

You are correct.... If the vehicle is lifted off the ground & the weighted suspension extends beyond the limit of the air bags, they can be damaged.

Some type of 'limiter' is needed to prevent damages. As indicated, the 'limiter' is typically a shock but even then sometimes the shock travel range is too long & damage can occur. This is where a limiting strap works well.

smullen 08-31-2022 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smullen (Post 9116004)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 9116988)
You are correct.... If the vehicle is lifted off the ground & the weighted suspension extends beyond the limit of the air bags, they can be damaged.

Some type of 'limiter' is needed to prevent damages. As indicated, the 'limiter' is typically a shock but even then sometimes the shock travel range is too long & damage can occur. This is where a limiting strap works well.

This is what I thought, but I've been scouring Magazines, websites and youtube videos for days looking at 4 links bag systems and bagged front ends in planning out what I'm going to do or have done to my C10 and I have yet too see anything extra or see anyone mention it.

I tend to obsess over the small stuff like this and other details.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

SCOTI 08-31-2022 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smullen (Post 9119021)
This is what I thought, but I've been scouring Magazines, websites and youtube videos for days looking at 4 links bag systems and bagged front ends in planning out what I'm going to do or have done to my C10 and I have yet too see anything extra or see anyone mention it.

I tend to obsess over the small stuff like this and other details.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

IMO, you're not obsessing over small details & stuff like this can impact your results in a detrimental way.

There are a lot of things not mentioned when it comes to any vehicle that can make contact w/the concrete when air'd out. Many safety points are conveniently passed over in favor of the "but it's so cool" mantra.

One thing I didn't mention is that shocks aren't intended to be a 'limiter' for the weighted suspension. Typically it's the springs limiting things. Over extending a shock can damage the seals. That may not be a big deal on cheap shocks but if it's a high-end set of dampeners it can unnecessarily hit the wallet hard.