The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup? (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=635040)

SS Tim 07-06-2014 04:22 PM

Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
4 Attachment(s)
Many people know about the Highlander Plaid seat trim option on both Chevrolet and GMC conventional light trucks.

However in an attempt to reach out to those who don't know I am asking people who are not sure, to please check the trim code/s of their trucks. Often the seat covers have been replaced leaving few clues beyond white door panels (again often changed) and seat belts with black dash pad, column and carpet.

So if you could, please let us know if you have (or just found!) a "Hidden Highlander"

The codes to look for are below.
Also just in case SPID reading is new to you the code may have leading and trailing numbers even letters. Reading between the lines may be needed.

Examples 613, _ 613_ _, 613_ _

As far as the SPID description goes, generally you will see "CUSTOM TRIM COMBINA" or the COLOR followed by "...HIGHLANDER P"

This thread is body style specifc so if you have several different body styles please check the other forums for the specific trim codes as applicable. Not trying to cross post this, just touch with all who may have a Highlander.

On a personal note if anyone has a 519/549/581/480 Dark Yellow with the 618 Orange Plaid please post pictures.


Pickups
Custom Deluxe Z62 mandatory option
Avocado 613
Blue 611
Gray 604
Orange 618


Blazers http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=635033
Suburbans http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=635035

Nitis 07-06-2014 06:18 PM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
Ok so my truck was not originally a highlander however I'm a sucker for unusual things. Since the highlander plaid is period correct I am thinking of using it. My truck is 525 light yellow which plaid would it have come with originally I must assume the black grey but that picture looks like it has orange

Also dad's truck is a gmc with ochre? Mustard yellow. Which would be his correct

SS Tim 07-06-2014 07:29 PM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitis (Post 6750268)
Ok so my truck was not originally a highlander however I'm a sucker for unusual things. Since the highlander plaid is period correct I am thinking of using it. My truck is 525 light yellow which plaid would it have come with originally I must assume the black grey but that picture looks like it has orange

Also dad's truck is a gmc with ochre? Mustard yellow. Which would be his correct

First off my research is to help validate vehicles not build fakes.
But if you have a 72 Custom Deluxe (as I did) I can see wanting to upgrade a little to the Highlander plaid. As a bonus the Highlanders had black carpet too vs the CDs color coded vinyl mat.

So off we go.
You are correct the 525 Light Yelow truck pictured has the 618 Orange Plaid. GM offered Gray Orange and Avocado Plaid with the Light Yellow. Plus I am sure it could just as well been overide ordered with the Blue too.

On an Ocre truck Gray is the only color I can think of actually seeing offered. But the Avocado would work very well too.

To recap from my Highlander threads.
Highlander Plaid trim codes All included black dash pad, steering column (with or without tilt) and carpet. In addition the door panels, visors, console (Blazer only) and seat belts were always parchment (white). Seat vinyl was also parchment and the insert color is determined by the specific trim code. So the ONLY variable color keyed component was the insert color of the seatcovers.

Nitis 07-06-2014 07:34 PM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
My 525 yellow truck also had parchment interior. Of course some one along the way painted the visors and door panels black.

72 Highlander 07-06-2014 10:02 PM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
2 Attachment(s)
Two photo's of my 72 Dark Olive Highlander, one the SPID and the other the interior. Pretty much all original, except for repaint in original color by previous owner. 1YG820 Special Promotion Package, 161310 Avocado Highlander.

kcsa75 07-06-2014 10:13 PM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
The plaid seat is long gone but my truck is a Highlander. I believe it was the YG8 Package with tilt, factory AC, AT, PS, etc. Medium blue and white with the blue plaid seat.

leh72super1500 07-06-2014 11:11 PM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
1972 GMC Super Custom built in Oshawa. Has the 611 Custom Trim Combination, with black dash pad, black instrument bezel, black steering column, black glove box door, and carpet. A PO has removed the plaid. Now just to decide to go vertical or horizontal with the new plaid cloth. It also has the wood grain lower mouldings. Do you know if that would have been part of the 611 option?

frank69 07-07-2014 01:55 AM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
Tim 72 longbed that I'm parting out. It has yg8 spec promo pkg-c @ a 604 gray plaid seat, but it doesn't say anything about it being a highlander. Are any of the parts more desiable than the standard trim parts . Seat is in pretty bad shape but it's original. Thanks Frank

SS Tim 07-07-2014 02:05 AM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the replies guys, already it is showing former Highlanders and hopefully more can be discovered. Here is a truck that almost didn't catch my eye being a typical blue and white customized truck, then I saw the SPID. It was 549/618 dark yellow and orange, one of my quest combos!

On the lower bodyside moldings. Still trying to sort out the details there. Most trucks have woodgrained trim but some have black even from the same plant. Unfortunately this is going to take a lot more time and highlander build sheets to develop. At this point I say go with what you believe the truck had originally.

Nitis 07-07-2014 02:12 AM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SS Tim (Post 6751009)
Thanks for the replies guys, already it is showing former Highlanders and hopefully more can be discovered. Here is a truck that almost didn't catch my eye being a typical blue and white customized truck, then I saw the SPID. It was 549/618 dark yellow and orange, one of my quest combos!

On the lower bodyside moldings. Still trying to sort out the details there. Most trucks have woodgrained trim but some have black even from the same plant. Unfortunately this is going to take a lot more time and highlander build sheets to develop. At this point I say go with what you believe the truck had originally.

So obviously that truck has been painted?

SS Tim 07-07-2014 02:20 AM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by frank69 (Post 6751001)
Tim 72 longbed that I'm parting out. It has yg8 spec promo pkg-c @ a 604 gray plaid seat, but it doesn't say anything about it being a highlander. Are any of the parts more desiable than the standard trim parts . Seat is in pretty bad shape but it's original. Thanks Frank

Good point, the YG6, YG7 and YG8 codes are for the Promo Package Highlanders that included the Highlander Plaid Trim upgrade with bundled options at a total cost savings.
As to special parts beyond the seat cover there are none. It is a combination of colors that make it a "special" upgrade of the Custom Deluxe trim and of course carpet.

SS Tim 07-07-2014 02:40 AM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitis (Post 6751013)
So obviously that truck has been painted?

Yes, sorry it was Dark Yellow and White in the conventional two-tone (roof only).
Probably half of the Highlanders I find are formers with the plaid long gone! As many SPIDs do not use the word Highlander nor is there any badging its easy for one to slip away.

Mike's money pit 07-07-2014 07:33 PM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
Hey Tim,
We have discussed my 1972 Highlander a few times before. I appreciate your research and in depth knowledge of these cool trucks. Mine is medium red with a white roof. It has the gray plaid seat specified on the SPID. I haven't mentioned it before, but several of the pieces of trim on my truck had woodgrain that had been covered with cheap black tape. A few pieces were painted black so I don't know which were original. My truck did have a woodgrain tailgate band on it when I got it. I don't know of that was original either.
I am sorry to see your dog is still missing. I know how special dogs can be. Best of luck to you, my friend.
Mike

SS Tim 07-15-2014 09:16 PM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
Guys, I know there has to be a lot more Highlanders and Highlander Promo Package trucks out there.

Again if you have a 72 Custom Deluxe (Z62) pickup trim coded:
Avocado 613
Blue 611
Gray 604
Orange 618
Then you have/had a Highlander!

If you also have the SPID code:
YG6
YG7
YG8
Then you have a Promo Package Highlander!

BTW: If you only have a SPID/glovebox door left I'd be interested to see the color combinations and options. So post them up too.

patokik 07-15-2014 10:02 PM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
Hello, I am quite new to forums in general. I have recently acquired a 1972 c-10 custom deluxe highlander. It's got the factory 402, Ac, heavy duty leaf springs etc. If anyone can provide me with any more information on these trucks it would be greatly appreciated.

patokik 07-15-2014 10:05 PM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
Also trying to figure out how to upload pictures from my cell phone

Dirt's72 07-15-2014 10:08 PM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
Tim here's a spid for ya I had saved on my phone from a friends parts truck. Pretty sure the plaid seats are gone. I'll double check next time I'm over there.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL217.../409788202.jpg

patokik 07-15-2014 10:26 PM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
Yes I do, proud father

patokik 07-15-2014 10:32 PM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
Does anyone have any idea of what the production numbers for these trucks are?

bluek5 07-15-2014 10:44 PM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
2 Attachment(s)
Tim,
Here is another one for you.
Paul

75gmc454 07-15-2014 11:18 PM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
Here is a truck that I have that has plaid trim but it does not mention any highlander package.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps3f0fa9d7.jpg

SS Tim 07-16-2014 12:06 AM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by patokik (Post 6762618)
Hello, I am quite new to forums in general. I have recently acquired a 1972 c-10 custom deluxe highlander. It's got the factory 402, Ac, heavy duty leaf springs etc. If anyone can provide me with any more information on these trucks it would be greatly appreciated.

So what is the trim code and does it have a YG6, 7 or 8 code as well denoting a Promo Package truck?
If you want Highlander information in general just site search ""ss tim" highlander" there is a lot out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by patokik (Post 6762672)
Does anyone have any idea of what the production numbers for these trucks are?

Only very general production numbers (basically by model) are released and rife with typos. As far as breaking down trim levels or option content its not there.

SS Tim 07-16-2014 12:13 AM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirt's72 (Post 6762632)
Tim here's a spid for ya I had saved on my phone from a friends parts truck. Pretty sure the plaid seats are gone. I'll double check next time I'm over there.

Thanks, Every little bit helps. Looks have been a nice St Louis built truck in 504 Dark Olive with the 613 Avocado Plaid and loaded up as a Promo Package "B" (YG7) truck.

SS Tim 07-16-2014 12:21 AM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluek5 (Post 6762701)
Tim,
Here is another one for you.
Paul

Very Nice! Sharp looking truck I'm sure.

SS Tim 07-16-2014 12:33 AM

Re: Do you have a 1972 Plaid Pickup?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 75gmc454 (Post 6762762)
Here is a truck that I have that has plaid trim but it does not mention any highlander package.

It is a Highlander! Like I mentioned above in a couple of places, the trim code is the key. The 613 code is for the Avocado Plaid Highlander special trim combination. Many SPIDs carry Plaid in the trim description but omit Highlander.

If you compare your SPID to Dirt's72's posted #17 you can see that even though they are both St Louis built trucks they are almost 65,000 units apart and St Louis had lots of running SPID variations.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com