The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Track width-wheels (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=754526)

my56chevytruck 01-10-2018 07:00 PM

Track width-wheels

1 Attachment(s)
This is not a what wheel to use, this is to discuss what SIZE and WIDTH of FRONT wheels can be used. I have the 56 chevy truck 2nd series, with a 2nd generation Camaro/Trans AM front suspension. The track width is 61", (measured from wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face). I'm wanting to know, what wheel Sizes and width CAN be used. I'm running upfront now 15x7 wheels with 215/70/15's tires now. The backspacing I'm getting is 4.25". I'm contemplating on going to new wheels but only find (in the style of wheel I like) 3.75" in the same size wheel. Also, I have 2" dropped spindles upfront and at times I've experienced wheel rub in while turning. I've removed some of the inner fender lip to minimize this problem. The picture of the wheel is the style I like; U.S. Mag Wheels

My good friend Mike Allen (slammed57 of this forum) suggested I consider a 15x6 wheels and to post my question on this forum to ask:

What size (width) wheels and backspacing are you running on comparable trucks.

joedoh 01-10-2018 07:55 PM

Re: Track width-wheels

width and backspacing are interrelated. I dont understand why the concept of FRONTSPACING has never caught on but here are a couple fast facts

a 7" wide wheel is 8" wide lip to lip. this is important because backspacing is measured from the back lip to the inside mounting surface.

backspacing on different wheels can be the same but width will determine what will "tuck" and what wont. this is even more complicated when talking about offset. offset is the measurement from the center of the wheel to the inside mounting surface. a positive offset means the mounting surface is closer to the front (outside) of the wheel, a negative offset is closer to the back (inside) of the wheel, and is measured in mm. so a +14 7 inch wide wheel wont fit frontside or backside like a +14 8 inch wide wheel! preposterous!

so this is why I recommend finding the frontspacing of a wheel you know that tucks. a 7 inch wide wheel with 4.5 backspace will have 7 + 1 - 4.5 = 3.5 FRONTSPACE. now when you find a wheel that is 8" with 4.5 backspace, you know that all of that extra inch will be on the front or fender side 8 + 1 - 4.5 = 4.5 frontspace, and probably wont fit. but an 8" wheel with 5.5 backspace will fit (the frontside, make sure you have the extra room on the inside for that inch!).

offset is trickier, but easy if you divide the wheel in half (and are good at mm to inch conversion. I usually just estimate at 25mm per inch (its actually 25.4). so a 7 inch wide wheel with +13mm (~1/2") offset will be (7 + 1)/2 - 1/2" = 3.5" frontspace. (to convert to backspace just invert the sign on the backspace!)

now you know what will fit and how to put any wheel you see in terms you can understand, I hope.

Jesse Z 01-10-2018 11:47 PM

What's a "wheel?" Is that like a rim?

Signed, Every Car Person Under 40 Years Old.

But seriously folks, that 1/2" less backspacing will move your tires farther outboard, thus increasing your wheel rub.

mr48chev 01-11-2018 03:46 AM

I can't add much to what Joedoe said except that maybe see if you can borrow a set of wheels in the size you are thinking about and bolt them on and see if they clear and stand back and see if you like the look on your truck. You don't need to drive further than around the block on them to see if they clear when you turn but that might help a bit.

DransportGarage 01-11-2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Z (Post 8157574)
What's a "wheel?" Is that like a rim?

<snip>

Here's a quote from tirerack.com:

"It may seem obvious, but a wheel is comprised of a hub, spokes and rim. Sometimes these components will be one piece, sometimes two or three. The hub is the center portion of the wheel and is what attaches the wheel to the suspension. The spokes radiate out from the hub and attach to the rim. The rim is the outer part of the wheel that holds the tire. While many people refer to wheels as "rims," this is technically incorrect."

my56chevytruck 01-11-2018 10:56 AM

Thanks Joedoh for the info, very helpful

jweb 01-11-2018 11:06 AM

You may want to look at the Boss 338 wheels. They have a similar look and may have the backspacing you need.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ish-lip-wheels

Erics51chevy 01-11-2018 02:56 PM

Its all in how you say it. Either "look at those wheels" or " daammnn! Look at dem rims!" ..just sayin - 24 year old

Kidding of course:lol:

dsraven 01-12-2018 12:37 AM

Sometimes it is good to stop at a shop that sells but also refinishes wheels. They usually have some input on who markets a wheel that stands the test of time and who markets a wheel that doesn't seem to last long before the chrome is all pitted and coming off. They can also size your truck for the offset,width, backspace

my56chevytruck 01-12-2018 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erics51chevy (Post 8158031)
Its all in how you say it. Either "look at those wheels" or " daammnn! Look at dem rims!" ..just sayin - 24 year old

Kidding of course:lol:

NO, you're right, rims vs wheels, they're all the same. Sometimes I think its the age of the person speaking is all.

my56chevytruck 01-12-2018 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jweb (Post 8157809)
You may want to look at the Boss 338 wheels. They have a similar look and may have the backspacing you need.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ish-lip-wheels

Hey jweb, thanks those are nice. I'm looking at going to 15x8's with 255/60/15's for the rear. I've got plenty of space on either side of the tire so I should be good. I do like your choice of tires, thanks.

my56chevytruck 01-12-2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8158523)
Sometimes it is good to stop at a shop that sells but also refinishes wheels. They usually have some input on who markets a wheel that stands the test of time and who markets a wheel that doesn't seem to last long before the chrome is all pitted and coming off. They can also size your truck for the offset,width, backspace

I forgot a friend of mine manages the local Tire barn and he offered today come spring, I can bring the truck over to "borrow" a set of used wheels to fit correctly before buying. I'm sure he'll want me to buy from them then. Your point is well taken