The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Help: Replacing power steering gear box (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=507460)

BrookelynnGreen 02-06-2012 03:04 AM

Help: Replacing power steering gear box

So I need to replace my power steering gear box & power steering pump.
Let's say I buy a new power steering gearbox & new power steering pump.

What specific tools will I need? I want to do it myself. And can someone tell me how I would take off the gear box? And how to take off the power steering pump and replace them both? I need help.
Posted via Mobile Device

donut 02-06-2012 10:50 AM

Re: Help: Replacing power steering gear box

Specific tools. Depending on the vehicle, a pitman arm puller. (old one goes back on new steering box) my 3/4t 4x4 had a locking bolt. no puller needed, maybe a set of flair wrenches for the hoses. Changing hoses or no?

Removal. Loosen belt, remove hose to drain pump. You can remove hoses, or pull both together. (pita), unhook front steering from pitman arm. (I try to remove pitman on the bench). Unbolt, good time for a new rag joint, remove, re-install, fill with fluid, turn wheels lock to lock to bleed air out of unit, top off, test drive if applicable.

There should be 4 bolts on the steering box (possibly with spacers) Not counting rag joint, pitman arm. Don't remember how many on the pump. It's not a complicated job, it can be time consuming though.

babyJay 02-06-2012 11:01 AM

Make sure you read the warranty details. Some manufacturers or remanufacturers will not warranty the steering gear if you DO NOT replace the hoses. I just went through this on a different vehicle.

BrookelynnGreen 02-06-2012 06:18 PM

1986 Chevrolet C10, Its not a 4x4. I would like to replace the hoses. Also, can you specifically tell me how to bleed the lines?? I don't understand that part... And what is a rag joint? Where is it located?
Posted via Mobile Device

Don SC 02-06-2012 06:56 PM

Here's a steering rag joint- it connects the steering column to the steering gear shaft.
It's a flex coupling.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...ngRagJoint.jpg

donut 02-06-2012 09:26 PM

Bleeding the lines is far easier than on your brake system. With everything connected and running, turn the wheel lock to lock, shut down, top off ps fluid, repeat as necessary.

Your 2 lines are a supply and return, supply is pressurized, return, not so much. that's why the supply is all "made" while the return is just a piece of hose with clamps.

I believe "bleeding" instructions were included in with the steering box, I'm going off memory as I did change my steering box last spring.

Lost81c10 02-08-2012 05:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My son and i just replaced our pump this weekend. As they have mentioned, it is time consuming more than anything. two set of hand are better then one. If you don’t have the pulley remover tool, just borrow it from one of the parts stores (AutoZone).
-I started by removing lines to drain pump
-loosened my tension bolts for AC compressor (did not remove) just to remove the belts.
-loosened the tension bolts in the pump to remove the pump belt.
-removed the pulley off of the pump (it will go slow unless you remove the fan shroud)
-if you don’t have an impact tool loosen the three bolts that hold the pump on the front bracket (not remove, only loosened), but if you do have the impact, then you can remove the pump from the bracket once off
-also the old pump will have a bolt with a stud that you need to remove and replace on the new one which is in the back of the pump
- Installation is in reverse order except I lined up my belts on the pulleys and stared to install the pump pulley with the belt on it. I just did not want to run into the issue where the belt would not go over the pulley after installed. Just my take...
To bleed, just like “donut” mentioned with the only addition that be sure to jack your front end to get your wheels off the ground when turning lock to lock.
This is how I did mine…
fill it up and start your engine for about 2-5 five seconds. Check the fluid level and let all the air bubbles disappear, if any. Repeat the step again until the level stays constant and no more air bubbles/suds are present. After that, jack you front end up to get wheels off the ground, start engine and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock for about ten turns or 5 and 5. shut off engine, check your fluid level again and fill as needed repeat step until constant level, then you can put it down, start the truck and turn the steering wheel another ten times and after that check for fluid level again before a test drive. The one thing I did not like about my result was that the new remanufactured pump makes a bit of noise/humming when turning and truck is at a standstill; I am considering replacing it to see if it might have been a bad one.
Also, if after a test drive you feel that the steering is hard to turn when at a standstill with engine on, it might be an air pocket in the line, but let it cool down and retry to see if the air might have surfaced out of the line. My second test drive I had that happen to me so I let it sit and next morning it did not do it again.
I am not saying that this is the right way, but this is how I did mine. I am a novice when it comes to this kinds of things but I still ventured into it and it worked so…hope it helps.

BrookelynnGreen 02-08-2012 06:10 PM

Today, I replaced me "Power steering gearbox & Power steering pump & hoses" I seriously could not have done it without you guys' help and instructions. Along with the reseach I did, and everyones help I was able to replace the p.s. Gear and pump. I love these forums, and everyones great advice!!!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
Posted via Mobile Device