The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bench seat hinge help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=765904)

Wgesnerjr 06-19-2018 12:32 PM

Bench seat hinge help

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all,
I am ususally over on the 73-87 board but need yawl's help. I bought a bench seat from a 1995 pick-up to install into my 85. My wife wanted headrests so this was the most "cost-effective" option.

I have started to take it apart for cleaning, repair and, oh yeah...CLEANING! Smells really gross, like the last owner was a chain smoking septic tank worker with a chronic flatulence problem and a propensity for bean burritos!!!

I made the bone head move of not taking pictures of the hinge area before unbolting the back part. There is a bar and a weighted piece that fell out and now I can't figure out how they go back together. I think it has something to do with a lock for the back rest that activates if the truck decelerates suddenly.

Can anyone send some pics of the hinge of their bench seat. Specifically of the bar and weights? If not, maybe a illustration from a service manual would also work.

Here is a pic of what I have dubbed the "Seat of a thousand farts!"

Thanks in advance.
Jay

Palf70Step 06-21-2018 07:59 AM

Re: Bench seat hinge help

I don't have any lying around now to check and don't remember the part you describing. Hopefully some wiser fols will get you you answer. You got a picture of the piece?

Wgesnerjr 06-21-2018 08:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is a picture of the piece put together the way I think it goes, and also with everything laying out. Just not real sure how it goes together because once I unbolted it everything fell apart.

68 TT 06-21-2018 05:29 PM

There are two different versions of it too.

I had the same problem. I had the parts laid out for reassembly when installing new seat upholstery and the wind blew the seat back over and knocked the whole pile of parts all over the place. Went to look at my other truck with the same design seat for reference and it was different. WFT? They both look the same on the outside. Still haven't figured it out.

I will look at my assembled seat and see if the parts are the same as the one you are working on and let you know if I can assist.

Wgesnerjr 06-22-2018 05:29 AM

"two different verisions....."

Thanks GM.

ok, any help would be appreciated. Because of work, it's not going back together real soon, maybe a week or two. But still need some idea.

Thanks,
Jay

Wgesnerjr 06-28-2018 11:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a exploded diagram of the seat hinge and a parts list; should anyone else needs help putting one back together.

Side Note: Most of the parts are discontinued so DON'T LOSE ANYTHING!

vetnat 11-08-2019 01:09 AM

subscribed