The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   To Cup or not to Cup (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=765973)

bpope 06-20-2018 09:43 AM

To Cup or not to Cup
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I currently have my '65 short step torn apart awaiting my airride kit (getting delivered today). It is a BC Fab Level 3 kit (which come plates for top of bag and bag cups for bottom). My truck currently has 2.5" drop spindles but, I cannot decide on whether or not to cup the LCA's. I by no means want to lay frame. I like them low, but I like a stance. I'm just concerned it might not be low enough with the bags sitting in the stock springs pockets. I have also read that cupping them allows for a little better ride at ride height? Attached is a pic of my truck with the static drop...can anyone let me know about where it will sit in the front with the 2.5" drop spindles and bags sitting in stock LCA spring pockets? Will it get much lower than what it already is? I don't really want to trim inner fender wells and the tires are 205/75/15. Thanks!

bpope 06-20-2018 02:04 PM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
1 Attachment(s)
If it sat this low in the front with the setup I have...I would be happy.

bpope 06-28-2018 12:42 PM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
4 Attachment(s)
Giving an update here. Well, I got the bags bolted on and jacked the LCA as far as it would go and it really doesn't seem low enough. I don't really get it as seeing pics of other trucks with the same setup, they seem way lower. I have a pic of another truck (Malibobs) that has the exact same setup as mine - but mine doesn't look near that low. Would it get lower with the weight of the truck on it? Doesn't seem like it would. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The lower cup mount that came with the kit is 1-7/8" tall (BC Fab Kit). I would want it to ride at the height of my pics attached...not when it is aired out. Bags are Dominator 2600's. I have 1-1/2" before the top of the tire hits the inner fender well (as it is pictured here - have not put the truck on the ground yet, just jacked up the LCA as far as it would go.) Tires are 215/75/15.

tinydb84 06-29-2018 01:51 PM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
I cant help on the actual height questions.

The bags are designed to be used at the height they are when there is no pressure applied. By cupping them you can both improve the ride while having a lower ride height as well as air out lower.

If you want to see how low it will be when you cup it you can take the bag out and jack the wheel up to whatever height you want. You will eventually run into the inner fenders (as you mentioned) as well as the steering shaft too.

bluex 06-29-2018 03:26 PM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
Do you have the bag hooked to the valve or the shipping plug in the bag when you are raising the lower arm? The air naturally in the bag could still be compressing and not letting it fully deflate.

The shocks could be stopping its travel or it could also be the ball joints binding.

With just cups, 2600 bags and plates my 78 puts the a-arms about 1/4" off the ground. I know the trucks are different but the suspension design is basically the same.

bpope 07-01-2018 11:33 AM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluex (Post 8291307)
Do you have the bag hooked to the valve or the shipping plug in the bag when you are raising the lower arm? The air naturally in the bag could still be compressing and not letting it fully deflate.

The shocks could be stopping its travel or it could also be the ball joints binding.

With just cups, 2600 bags and plates my 78 puts the a-arms about 1/4" off the ground. I know the trucks are different but the suspension design is basically the same.

Bags did not have the plug in them, just the air line fitting not hooked to anything. Shocks were unhooked, but i agree it could be binding the ball joint. So your lower control arms are stock? Not cupped for a recessed bag?

bpope 07-01-2018 01:22 PM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinydb84 (Post 8291268)
I cant help on the actual height questions.

The bags are designed to be used at the height they are when there is no pressure applied. By cupping them you can both improve the ride while having a lower ride height as well as air out lower.

If you want to see how low it will be when you cup it you can take the bag out and jack the wheel up to whatever height you want. You will eventually run into the inner fenders (as you mentioned) as well as the steering shaft too.

Thanks for the info! Im going to have them cupped this week. Today i will play around with it with no bags in to see how much lower it goes.

bluex 07-02-2018 06:36 PM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpope (Post 8292158)
Bags did not have the plug in them, just the air line fitting not hooked to anything. Shocks were unhooked, but i agree it could be binding the ball joint. So your lower control arms are stock? Not cupped for a recessed bag?

Ya they are stock, just removed the bump stop and its bracket, moog problem solver ball joints and poly bushings.

bpope 07-03-2018 11:42 AM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluex (Post 8293051)
Ya they are stock, just removed the bump stop and its bracket, moog problem solver ball joints and poly bushings.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I took the bags out and am having the LCA's cupped. This will be as low as it will go since the tires are bottoming out on the inner fender well and this will be low enough for me!

tinydb84 07-03-2018 12:19 PM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpope (Post 8293529)
low enough for me!

That's what we all say...

bpope 07-03-2018 12:39 PM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinydb84 (Post 8293563)
That's what we all say...

LOL, I know. Every other truck I have lowered could have always been just a little more.

bluex 07-04-2018 08:11 AM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
I have the stuff to cup mine but I haven't done it just yet. I mainly want to do it so the bag is positively located at the bottom. My cups move around sometimes, mainly if I air it out on unlevel ground. Then I wind up with uneven pressures to get my ride height and the ride quality suffers as well.

bpope 07-05-2018 11:27 AM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluex (Post 8294041)
I have the stuff to cup mine but I haven't done it just yet. I mainly want to do it so the bag is positively located at the bottom. My cups move around sometimes, mainly if I air it out on unlevel ground. Then I wind up with uneven pressures to get my ride height and the ride quality suffers as well.

That's pretty interesting. I do like the idea that I will be able to bolt the bottom one in now, once they are cupped.

Flatline454 02-14-2019 12:59 PM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
Needs more triangulation!!! Wait, I thought we were talking about a full cage...:lol:

SCOTI 02-14-2019 07:17 PM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline454 (Post 8466039)
Needs more triangulation!!! Wait, I thought we were talking about a full cage...:lol:

Uhmm….. Huh?

kev2809 02-15-2019 09:03 PM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpope (Post 8293529)
Cool. Thanks for the info. I took the bags out and am having the LCA's cupped. This will be as low as it will go since the tires are bottoming out on the inner fender well and this will be low enough for me!

so howd it go? cupped is the way to go and an easy few inches of drop

bpope 02-18-2019 04:31 PM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kev2809 (Post 8466954)
so howd it go? cupped is the way to go and an easy few inches of drop

Well, I should have had the guy that cupped them use larger pipe. I couldn't get comfortable with the Airlift D2600 bags with the pipe we used. They were just too close for comfort. I borrowed some SS 8" bags and they fit without any problems and it rides fine in my opinion. But yes - it wouldn't have been low enough without cupping.

kev2809 02-18-2019 06:21 PM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpope (Post 8469010)
Well, I should have had the guy that cupped them use larger pipe. I couldn't get comfortable with the Airlift D2600 bags with the pipe we used. They were just too close for comfort. I borrowed some SS 8" bags and they fit without any problems and it rides fine in my opinion. But yes - it wouldn't have been low enough without cupping.

same problem i had. i bought 8" cupped arms with 2600s and they were super close when aired out. ended up putting 2500s

bpope 02-18-2019 06:27 PM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kev2809 (Post 8469092)
same problem i had. i bought 8" cupped arms with 2600s and they were super close when aired out. ended up putting 2500s

How does it ride with 2500s? I was thinking of a set of those over the SS. The SS I have in I borrowed from a friend and they are showing their age and I need to get some new ones.

bluex 02-18-2019 08:02 PM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
Funny this pooped back up. I wound up getting in an accident (inattentive driver) that ruined my pass side front suspension. I never got around to cupping my stock arms an I have choppin block arms on it now. It lays the crossmemeber on the ground now, with 40 psi in the bags still...

kev2809 02-18-2019 08:09 PM

Re: To Cup or not to Cup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpope (Post 8469095)
How does it ride with 2500s? I was thinking of a set of those over the SS. The SS I have in I borrowed from a friend and they are showing their age and I need to get some new ones.

only drove it down the street lol. i got burnt out on it in 2014. rolled it out the garage and havent really touched it since. im sure im gonna have to get new bags but ill probably go with the same dominator bags.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com