The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Captain America 68 short/fleetside (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=468341)

gottattooz 06-07-2012 01:45 AM

Re: Captain America 68 short/fleetside

Thanks for the head's up. I got everything I needed for $38.00!! I swapped out the wheel cylinders. Of course, the only one that wasn't leaking is the one that broke the brake line. I both star adjuster wheels on the front axle were frozen, so I got those too.

-Josh

gottattooz 08-11-2012 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My dad got some cool Low-back bucket seats for his 59 Chevy pickup, so he handed down his old racing seats. I installed them, and then we trailered the Captain to a friend's shop to get the exhaust installed. I've got the long tube headers and Magnaflows with pipes that will exit in front of the rear wheels. When I get the other bed installed, I want to run the exhaust tips through the bedsides in front of the rear wheels.

Two things that are bothering me. #1. When I replaced the hood, I broke the part of the old hood that latches into the hood latch assembly, and I can't find anywhere that sells it. After I broke it off, I realized it was attached to the plate that comes off with 4 bolts.

#2, I've had my truck running, albeit with open headers, but it fired up every time. Today, the truck fired up, but then fizzled out, like someone was unplugging spark plug wires one at a time. I verified 12 volts to the distributor (HEI), even swapped out the coil, and eventually swapping out the entire distributor with a known good distributor, and still no spark. Any ideas??

-Josh

gottattooz 08-11-2012 10:21 PM

#3 With the key off, I have 6 volts running through some wires, and it's killing my battery. The previous owner literally twisted wires together and wrapped them in electrical tape. The ignition wires about 3 inches off the switch are taped up that way.

-Josh

gottattooz 09-22-2012 09:07 PM

I got my truck back from my friend's house, albeit with a gas can on the passenger seat and a long hose running to the fuel pump. Thus, my next question.

I"ve been searching relentlessly for a fuel tank to mount between the frame rails, behind the differential. My problem is the dimensions. I"ve sen the 49-52 tank swap, a Mustang tank swap, the 21 gallon Jimmy/ suburban tank swap. My framerail dimensions are 27wx24lx10d as the space available for a tank. Every tank I've seen is too wide. I don't want to drop $300-$500 for an aluminum tank. Any insight/advice from those who have done the swap already??

-Josh

gottattooz 09-25-2012 02:35 AM

I just pulled the trigger on the poly 21 gallon tank. Thanks for all the help and advice. I"ll post pics when I install it.

-Josh

gottattooz 09-30-2012 01:32 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I installed the poly tank today. Notched the bed rail for clearance, and ran 3/8 line inside the frame rails.

-Josh

BlackedOut67shorty 09-30-2012 02:42 AM

Does the tank hang super low? Not bad though and would be nice to have a 21 gal tank. what year suburban was it from?

gottattooz 09-30-2012 03:49 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330548792252...252%26_rdc%3D1

It's a conversion kit. I thought it'd be too wide for the frame, but it actually has flanges molded into the sides that sit flush against the bottom of the frame rails. I don't think it hangs too low. I"m not going to lay frame, but I"d like to get it a little closer to the ground.

-Josh

gottattooz 10-06-2012 10:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I went to the junkyard today, looking to find some missing pieces for the truck. I picked up a duel filler neck out of a 1990 Nissan Maxima. It's 1 1/4 inch, just like the neck on the poly tank. I wanted to mount the filler neck inside the bed, but not on the floor. I cut the filler neck about 3 inched below the top bracket, then cut a hole on the inside of the driver's bed side, just in front of the rear stake pocket. I couldn't find and 1 1/4 pipe with a sharp enough bend to cut under the floor panel toward the fill neck on the tank. I ended up going to Tractor Supply and getting a 1 inch 90 degree elbow, and a 12 inch threaded 1 inch pipe. The outer diameter of the 1 inch pipe is 1 1/4 inches. I cut a length of 1 1/4 hose to connect the filler neck to the pipe elbow, then secured both ends. I haven't put the bed back on, because I need to get a fitting for the vent tube on the tank, and I get those free at work, so it'll have to wait until Monday.

-Josh

gottattooz 10-10-2012 12:23 PM

I"ve been trying to dial in the drums brakes so I feel comfortable driving the truck on the road. I replaced the wheel cylinders, brake hoses and shoes, but I don't feel like the brakes are 100%. I pulled the trigger on a full 4-wheel disc setup with 2 inch drop spindle, and some air bags for the rear. I'll post pics when pats come in.

-Josh

gottattooz 10-17-2012 01:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I got home from work last night to find 4 boxes on the front porch. Today, I tackled the rear disc setup. I bought the kits from Tom's Classics on Ebay. I'm very impressed that they include everything. Instructions are very clear, and it was a simple bolt in kit.

-Josh

bruceman1968 10-17-2012 10:21 AM

Rear Disk!!! That's awesome Josh. Looks good.

67chevy1series 10-17-2012 12:51 PM

can you still use the original E- brake cables from the drums on the new calipers? i wam wanting to go to rear disc in my 67 and the last thing i dont know what or where to get for my application is the e brake cables.

nuke1 10-17-2012 01:19 PM

Nice brake kit!!! so shiny

gottattooz 10-17-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67chevy1series (Post 5652213)
can you still use the original E- brake cables from the drums on the new calipers? i wam wanting to go to rear disc in my 67 and the last thing i dont know what or where to get for my application is the e brake cables.

It comes with new cables, AND the cable that connects the cables on the calipers to the linkage from the cab. I was very impressed with how complete the kit is.

-Josh

67chevy1series 10-17-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottattooz (Post 5652287)
It comes with new cables, AND the cable that connects the cables on the calipers to the linkage from the cab. I was very impressed with how complete the kit is.

-Josh

im not going to buy this kit. i have a template to make my own rear brackets and i have a list of all the parts that im supposed to get (calipers, rotors, pads, hoses ) but it doesnt say which e brake cable to get. thats why i was wondering id you could still possibly use the originals. thanks anyways though. your rear disc brakes loook really great! im sure they'll work just as good if not better then how they look.

gottattooz 10-18-2012 01:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I installed the front disc and 2 inch drop spindles this morning. I still need to run new brake lines, and apparently, I need to order a front end rebuild kit. The passenger side has a lot of play in the upper control arm. I am loving the 2 inch drop in the front. I noticed as soon as I put her on the ground that it had a lower stance.

-Josh

jdunnalp 10-18-2012 01:43 PM

Captain, Nice truck. For as far back as that was probably created, I think they did a great job. It'd be fun to have restored with it's current paint and detail scheme, minus the interior though. Red Paint with white bench would keep the theme going but Red and grey would be more practical. have fun. nice wheels too.

gottattooz 10-21-2012 11:01 PM

Well, I ran all new brake lines and bled the crap out of my brakes. Turns out, my new master cylinder is bad, and the power booster leaks. So, more money spent, and now everything is brand new.

-Josh

67c10rustbuket 10-21-2012 11:16 PM

The Captain is making a turn for the better, That paint job made me laugh :lol: especially the glitter and house numbers:lol:. That disk brake kit looks real nice and your gas tank and filler set up turned out real nice too, Great job !

gottattooz 10-27-2012 11:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The master and booster showed up yesterday. I installed everything, and, boom, instant brakes. Also, I had a friend help me put the bed back on. I rewired the tail lights. I need to get shorter shocks for the rear. The pic I have is with the bags aired out, but the shocks are bottomed out. There's still 3 inches before the bump stops touch. I like the height in the pic, but There's no travel. Any suggestions for shorter rear shocks??

-Josh

VA72C10 10-28-2012 12:22 AM

surprised the shocks are bottoming out...I have relocators on mine with bags, but it's not really the length they change but the angle....they are stock length shocks with performance valving for a lowered suspension (kyb's) ...so I'm guessing someone changed out your shocks at some point....

my stock length shocks aren't bottomed out and my rear bumper is 5" off the ground ;)

VA72C10 10-28-2012 02:00 AM

Here's my stance w/ stock length shocks and bags aired out. No c-notch yet, but I did trim the bump stop and I also haven't lowered the front so the rear will come up a bit when I lower the front then back down a bit when I c-notch it...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1351142494

gottattooz 10-28-2012 10:17 AM

The rear shocks are air shocks, so they are definintely not stock. I'll see what the stock shock look like, and I'll probably just get those if they comress enough.

-Josh

NewType72 10-29-2012 02:58 AM

What size wheel do you run and were those rear disc brakes decently priced? I may have to pick up some to match my fronts